The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

R.I.P. Vangelis

peanuts

Just listening to “To the Unknown Man” from the “Spirals” album as I write this.

As a 13yo, We’d a school visit from an RAF recruitment team who showed a film of a training mission in the Med featuring Buccaneers, I think it had been filmed in Malta. The soundtrack was captivating and inspired one of my classmates to embark on what turned into an epic 30+ year career in the RAF.

Afterwards there was the obligatory Q&A on the career aspects which had featured in the film, first question was “what was the music?”, to which the lead officer responded without flinching, “it’s To the Unknown Man by Vangelis”. Clearly that had been a popular question.

To this day I wonder how many of the RAF’s payroll signed up as a result of Vangelis’ encouragement?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RANGERS said:

Just listening to “To the Unknown Man” from the “Spirals” album as I write this.

As a 13yo, We’d a school visit from an RAF recruitment team who showed a film of a training mission in the Med featuring Buccaneers, I think it had been filmed in Malta. The soundtrack was captivating and inspired one of my classmates to embark on what turned into an epic 30+ year career in the RAF.

Afterwards there was the obligatory Q&A on the career aspects which had featured in the film, first question was “what was the music?”, to which the lead officer responded without flinching, “it’s To the Unknown Man by Vangelis”. Clearly that had been a popular question.

To this day I wonder how many of the RAF’s payroll signed up as a result of Vangelis’ encouragement?

Cheers

Darius

• Like 8

After I heard the report of his death this morning, I have been playing this all morning.

We all have our favourites.

• Like 1