Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Volunteering: Why do it?

Ian Smeeton

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Boris said:

Weirdly since becoming a signaller on the big railway I've found that generally Network Rail staff (and frontline staff from the TOCs) demonstrate the community atmosphere and "we're in it together" that you would expect on a preserved railway rather than from a faceless corporation.  It's a far better atmosphere in my job than my hobby and is why I'm taking 2 months off from playing trains, see how I feel about going back then.

Congrats on becoming a signaller.

I applied many times over 2 years, and finally got a job as a crossing keeper. I love it.

Volunteering, I have  only done for the last 5 years since I got a proper job, with time off & holidays, rather than self employed.

As a Trustee of RbR, I am constantly trying to make sure that any differences are ironed out before they become running sores, and keep a peaceful and friendly atmosphere.

The big railway seems very much a community or even a family.

Regards

Ian

• Like 5

I must admit that my model railway often doesn't get a look in or run for weeks or months.  I have been known to spend a day shunting various locos and vehicles around at the railway and you go home thinking look what we have done today.

Many groups also need folks to spend time on doing things that they can do out of the normal hours that the site is open.  I mentioned to one person that the editor of the magazine and others who are doing research etc are often as important as others even though they are not on site.

Workshop staff are crucial.  We have one lad doing GCSE's at present and has gained a paid engineering job because he has done various tasks in the workshop for many months.  

A friend works on the main line and often is not at the railway for a few weeks due to work shifts, everyone has a life to lead and sometimes you need to schedule days at the railway in amongst other aspects of life.

Smaller railways tend to be good as you will soon get to know most folks.  It's like a big family, there are times that we don't agree or avoid certain people.  If I have had a day on the train many of the passengers are regulars who we know by name and will chat to.

As per a certain clothing company slogan "just do it", you won't regret the time you put in.

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

I imagine machinists are much in demand, rather than people with paper engineering qualifications?  I don't think my knowledge of Reynolds numbers and heat transfer is much use once the loco has been designed, 100 years ago 😄

I'd be happy to walk the track or do gardening/groundwork.  Just not refurbing coaches.  I am truly awful at woodwork.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Thanks, Jayne,

It is good to hear a positive side to joining a volunteer run establishment.

I hope that you go on, progressing in the direction you want to take, gaining the competencies that you want to take.

All the very best,

Ian

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

British Rail now exists only in splintered staff memories, rescued BR publications, enthusiasts hoards of pictures, memorabilia and experiences, archive film/sound recordings, museums, preserved railways and the shrinking historic remnants still visible around the network. Sites such as this with its army of individuals/groups freely volunteering masses of information in order to inform/enable the next generation of enthusiasts/modellers etc to understand what once was, are also a considerable and vital volunteer contribution.

BeRTIe

Edited by BR traction instructor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 4

On 01/06/2022 at 16:47, Boris said:

I'm kind of the opposite, got more free time than I've ever had , done 30+ years as a volunteer on the NYMR and at the point of telling them to stick it.  I'm bored stupid when I'm there, transferring to something else on the railway is nigh on impossible and I am getting to the point I don't have the patience to deal with the people whose only qualification is to stick a huge hat on with gold braid and think they're gods gift to railways.

I would look at the turnover of volunteers, if the only people there have been there forever and there are no new faces walk away.  If there's a really good mix and people can be bothered to take time to talk to a new/prospective volunteer that's the place to go.

I took a few months off from the Moors for medical reasons and did my first guards turn in ages in April and I saw 2 different attitudes on display, the most prevalent was "you're new so I'm going to ignore you or use my greater experience to try and bully you".  The better one was the one person who came up and said "Hi, I've not seen you before my name is ******* if you have any questions I'm happy to answer them".

To me you need to get something from your volunteering hobby, a sense of achievement or that you've turned up had some fun with like minded people and that you've helped the railway in some manner.  If you don't get that vote with your feet!

When i was with the K&ESR, quite a few of us would go up there for a week and volunteer, we'd all have to go down a grade, so with drivers it was fireman and fireman it was cleaners. I used to enjoy going there until i had a massive argument with a driver over not to be moved boards that i had put on a standard 4 tank while we was cleaning it. I had put them there so it was my responsibility to remove them once it was safe to do so, But he didn't see it that way, he was a driver and that was all that mattered, it drew a bit of a crowd until the forman came along and calmed it all down.

Never went back to the NYMR after that, it kind of ruined my illusion.

Jayne

• Friendly/supportive 10

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Great Eastern Lady said:

When i was with the K&ESR, quite a few of us would go up there for a week and volunteer, we'd all have to go down a grade, so with drivers it was fireman and fireman it was cleaners. I used to enjoy going there until i had a massive argument with a driver over not to be moved boards that i had put on a standard 4 tank while we was cleaning it. I had put them there so it was my responsibility to remove them once it was safe to do so, But he didn't see it that way, he was a driver and that was all that mattered, it drew a bit of a crowd until the forman came along and calmed it all down.

Never went back to the NYMR after that, it kind of ruined my illusion.

Jayne

Blimey, the rules as I have always understood them is a Not to be moved can only be moved by the person who put them on, period. Yes a Driver may ask if you are finished, but at the end of the day they are there to protect whoever is working on the engine and a Driver should jolly well know that. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 12

1 hour ago, Blandford1969 said:

Blimey, the rules as I have always understood them is a Not to be moved can only be moved by the person who put them on, period. Yes a Driver may ask if you are finished, but at the end of the day they are there to protect whoever is working on the engine and a Driver should jolly well know that. 

Completely agree, perhaps the driver should have been given a rules test before being rostered again.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• 1 month later...

Just thought I’d let you all know that on the 13th August I took and passed my train dispatchers assessment. It’s been a hard 5 months but I’ve finally done it and I’m now a fully fledged dispatcher on the RH&DR.

I’m working at Hythe on the 27th Aug so if any of you are down come and say hello 

Jayne 

Edited by Great Eastern Lady
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Very pleased to hear that you have found a role and that you are enjoying it.

We have had four new volunteers over the last couple of months, which means that we are seeing a good increase in the number of active volunteers who are keen to progress through different competencies.

I did manage to place an ad on 'Volunteer  Plus Rutland' :  https://volunteerplusrutland.org.uk/opportunity/steam-train-driver-92

which has generated some interest. Two people have joined with the express (pardon the pun) intention of learning to drive steam, two others are of a more mechanical bent, and a couple of projects are really starting to gain momentum, which is great to see.

For those who haven't volunteered in the past and have some time to spare, go on, give it a go.

I am not just talking heritage Railways, here, though. There are loads of interesting opportunities out there.

Regards

Ian

• Like 6

After a number of years umming and ahing about volunteering at the local museum railway (ZLSM in the Netherlands Deep South), last October I took the plunge. My ambition is to drive steam and am well aware that that is a plan that can easily take five or more years. The kids are older and I hope to retire in roughly 4 years. My time is spent in the shed helping to restore a German “Kriegslok” and so far have been getting the filthiest of jobs and loving every minute. I don’t know whether I’ll achieve my ambition. If not there are plenty of other jobs to keep me off the street during retirement. The only downside is that I have less time for modelling.

David

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Technically I volunteer at a museum with a preserved railway as part of it, and yes, our running line is rather short, but one of the things I love about it is that by and large we have a single 'operating department'.

If you express an interest and ask to work on something, and if you can put in the time, you can wear many hats.

Last Saturday I was a fireman and then trainee guard on the Sunday. Sometimes I sell tickets on the platform, or just turn up to clean the loco in the morning and supply an extra pair of hands.

It looks like we'll all need to muck in soon to do some permanent way.

image-1.jpeg.90547458063bbcf91bee57fa2d7dd7a1.jpeg

BDCFB772-ABF6-42CF-98DA-9BEE219FED1D_1_105_c.jpeg.a6092b8e6426eec8ab3dbe49561a99dd.jpeg

We also have boat crew and crane operator opportunities, and once or twice a year we can dress as dockers and get all the goods 'props' out, or learn how to use the capstan.

FBP-4fyXEAA5W7p.jpeg.59e3f6d5d2c0e951704ac0997bcb7f24.jpeg

558841721_Screenshot2021-11-25at18_36_22.png.278075c67846327bb01592ecec0cce13.png

20220410_153052.jpg.62a278d1bd208aaf594ef2e021a0c9b8.jpg

Plus:

It's a 10 minute cycle ride from my front door

There are many pubs nearby

The opportunities for lunch are plentiful

• Like 12
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

It can be hard. I spent 30+ years on the MHR before getting too old and tired. I also had 5 years on the mainline with Hosking’s engines where it can be 20 hr days, problem solving on the run, trying to sleep in railway carriages in weird and wonderful places etc. etc. 

So many times, in both places, I asked myself why? But then, in the case of the MId Hants, an engine you’ve spent ages working on is brought back to life, wow! I progressed to driver there so got to drive a variety of engines, from Thomas to a King, A4, MN and so on,wow again!

And then, on the mainline, as owner’s rep you get to go on the footplate, more wow! on 70000 belting along the sea wall at Dawlish for example.

And then you get the maximum wow possible…..I like to think I put a lot in to both places but boy oh boy did I get a lot out of them, memories to take to the day I start pushing up daisies.

73602223-C209-4A8D-9269-51CBABB6DE1D.jpeg

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it's like a lot of things, the volunteer and the organisation need to be right for eachother. Not all individuals are the right fit for all organisations and sometimes when things don't work out it's because it's not a good fit rather than either party being bad. 

My own feelings are that first impressions are critical for both parties. I know that this is probably frowned upon but first impressions do count and it is extremely difficult to recover from a poor first impression, that goes both for the impression made by an organisation and by an individual. I wonder how many horror stories are because someone got out of bed the wrong way. 

I think it's normal for groups to be cliquey and for people to need time to open up to new comers so I wouldn't be too hard if it takes a bit of time to feel really at home but if after a few visits/volunteering sessions people are still not making you feel welcome then I would probably think about finding something else.

Edited by jjb1970
  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

• 3 weeks later...

It's great when you've a got an atmosphere like that, another great example was posted by Didcot on their Facebook feed a few days ago where 4 of their guards found themselves in uniform travelling their for their turns, and decided to take a group pic.  

Also encouraging to see that the people in the two photos aren't each 150 years old

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

It is great to see our younger members getting stuck in.

But schools, colleges and universities have all gone back now, putting pressure on what few hours our youngsters have to spare. Evenings are out, as the nights draw in.

The burden now falls on the older members, some well into their 70's (one recent newbie is in his 90's!!) as we move in to the closed season when a lot of heavy maintenance takes place.

Heritage railways and museums need all the help that they can get.

At least as a volunteer, there is no compunction to be there. We (and most other heritage attractions, not just railways) will happily accommodate whatever time someone can give.

For me, an unexpected day off means that I can get a few hours in. I'm 58, no spring chicken, but I want to do my bit where and when I can. However, the weather can put the knackers on things. 

A couple of spare hours this afternoon to get on top of the mowing, lost due to rain.

Pray for a dry day on Wednesday for me, please.

Regards

Ian

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

As a young post-grad 45 years ago I became a shareholder in a loco purchase from Barry and spent some time as a volunteer on its restoration.  My initial one fortieth share of the scrap value of the loco became much diluted over the years as many more shares were sold to fund restoration and there was a lot of politics within the heritage railway where it was based which was further from home than I would have desired.  Also other things in life got in the way.    Fourteen years ago I took early retirement from my profession and enrolled on a bus driver course.   Involvement as a bus museum volunteer then gave me vital experience driving vintage buses which quickly led to employment in the bus industry.  I retired from the buses when I turned 70 last year and now have the time to do some volunteering with Waverley Route Heritage Association, anything from front of house to signalman to train guard.    Sadly we are always short of volunteers and can only open to the public on the first Saturday of each month.   This coming Saturday, 1st October, will mark the end of an enjoyable season.  There's always a feel good factor and a good night's sleep to follow a day's volunteering.

Edited by cessna152towser
typos
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

I recently started volunteering on one of the LTM's restoration teams and at aged 50, I'm one of the older new recruits.  So far I've worked with two or three in their twenties and one who is still a teenager.  All are really enthusiastic about heritage railways.

In terms of being able to recruit enough volunteers, @cessna152towserdemonstrates an important consideration for certain heritage railways.  If you're located in an area with very low population density (and over an hour from any major centre of population), you are naturally going to struggle to attract enough volunteers for anything more than a small operation. 

The Wensleydale Railway has reined back its original ambitions to re-open right through to Garsdale and will likely terminate in future at Aysgarth Falls which is an appealing destination.  It was always questionable how they would ever raise the funds to rebuild so much infrastructure (and what traffic they thought they could attract to support it); another important consideration would be how they could find enough volunteers able to travel to the Western end to staff the stations, operate the trains and signal boxes.  Even at the Eastern end, they are drawing on the same catchment area as the North Yorkshire Moors Railway.  With the increased cost of travel, even the NYMR have a challenge bringing enough new blood and compared to most railways; they need a LOT of staff. 

Edited by Northmoor
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

1 hour ago, Northmoor said:

With the increased cost of travel, even the NYMR have a challenge bringing enough new blood and compared to most railways; they need a LOT of staff. 

The NYMR has a cracking junior volunteer program that has produced good results but its taken 15 years to get up and running properly, but its something other preserved railways could learn from. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1