PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

Shapeways already has 66 items (13/06/22) of British prototypes to 1:120

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/trains?q=&sort=&facet[pdcId][]=134&facet[pdcId][]=368&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500

I particularly like the Night Ferry stock and the EM2, not that i can work out ho to combine them at this moment...

Luke

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

We have so little that anything would be good, but here goes.

Diesel BoBo

Diesel CoCo

Coaches - say Mk1's - 1 SK, SO, BFK

Steam Express passenger

Steam mixed traffic

Shunter steam or diesel

container flat

2 axle van / open

brake van

Luke

I should think a Class 25, a Class 37, a couple of Mark 1s (in lots of liveries), a steam 0-6-0, Steam 4-6-0 some wagons (16t steel mineral to go with the 7-plank) and vans with a BR 20T brake van would all be required for a good start. 

I dont think the future of this is for people who want to do much tinkering. If they want to do that theres 3mm on 14.2mm track, or 2mm finescale, if they lack space. Its clear (to me) that this will be aimed at those who will expect a certain amount of RTR to be available. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

Peco didn't invent TT-120, did they? They're just making track that existing Eastern European models can run on.

In the current economic climate I don't think that there's a cat in Hades' chance of any company making any British outline RTR stock for TT-120.

In the current economic climate companies need sales and new ground breaking products are more likely to sell than yet another rehash. And it should be noted that Peco have priced their TT products at quite a competitive level.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

I was thinking the same...

Of course the Express Steam has to be live steam...

Luke

Shouldn't be too hard... considering live steam was available in 1/240th scale built in 1973  by A.A Sherwood.  I mean that was 49 years ago.

Maybe live steam is preparing for a 50th anniversary next year :)

http://www.zen98812.zen.co.uk/steam.html

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Ravenser said:

We perhaps need to be realistic about what is possible

There is no way TT-120 will displace N. That battle was fought in the 1960s, when TT had a stronger position - and N rapidly swept TT into total commercial oblivion in every market in the free world

Triang dropped TT because traders proved very reluctant to stock two scales; it was a different world back then. Today the online marketplace means that customers can buy direct.

• Like 3

For steam locomotives I suggest the following, as they all have some degree of foreign appeal and were fairly widely used at home:

• Austerity 2-8-0
  • Dean Goods
  • Hunslet Austerity/J94
  • Jinty
  • O4/8K 2-8-0
  • Stanier 8F
  • USATC S100
Edited by eldomtom2

11 minutes ago, NCB said:

In the current economic climate companies need sales and new ground breaking products are more likely to sell than yet another rehash. And it should be noted that Peco have priced their TT products at quite a competitive level.

A ground-breaking product would be something like a Class 120 DMU or a Maunsell U class 2-6-0, that people can run on their existing layouts. The number of UK modellers that are just sitting around thinking that what they really want to do is start a new layout for which they can buy a limited range of track and a couple of kits for buildings must be...  hardly any.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

We have so little that anything would be good, but here goes.

Diesel BoBo

Diesel CoCo

Coaches - say Mk1's - 1 SK, SO, BFK

Steam Express passenger

Steam mixed traffic

Shunter steam or diesel

container flat

2 axle van / open

brake van

Luke

Sounds like the basis for the SVR fleet! That would go with the GWR buildings as well...

• Funny 1

26 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Shouldn't be too hard... considering live steam was available in 1/240th scale built in 1973  by A.A Sherwood.  I mean that was 49 years ago.

Maybe live steam is preparing for a 50th anniversary next year :)

http://www.zen98812.zen.co.uk/steam.html

Graham

And what about a working GWR gas turbine? :)

Luke

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, eldomtom2 said:

For steam locomotives I suggest the following, as they all have some degree of foreign appeal and were fairly widely used at home:

• Austerity 2-8-0
  • Dean Goods
  • Hunslet Austerity/J94
  • Jinty
  • O4/8K 2-8-0
  • Stanier 8F
  • USATC S100

I agree those would be logical, but I would still put "Mallard" and "Flying Scotsman" on that list. Outside the UK they are "known".

Luke

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

Shapeways already has 66 items (13/06/22) of British prototypes to 1:120

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/miniatures/trains?q=&sort=&facet[pdcId][]=134&facet[pdcId][]=368&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500

I particularly like the Night Ferry stock and the EM2, not that i can work out ho to combine them at this moment...

Luke

Many are 3mm scale

• Agree 2

All the TTn3 stuff is  it's 3mm scale using 9mm gauge for 3ft NG. Some good layouts been built, however there's also a lot of TTm stuff if you change the country filter to Germany, its pretty good as well  I have some. 1:120 scale, 9mm gauge for metre gauge prototype.

This was my TT wishlist back in the early 60's !!!!

image.png.c27138f2302bba4f3fccb9ef6898a9f2.png

I still have my old TT, virtually worn out and yes one (or more) of everything above, and more.

If only I had some track and points to run it on ----------- !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brit15

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
40 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

The number of UK modellers that are just sitting around thinking that what they really want to do is start a new layout for which they can buy a limited range of track and a couple of kits for buildings must be...  hardly any.

Probably not zero though.

There's something appealing about novelty.

There's something appealing about a limited range of choices for rolling stock.

Whether that produces enough sales to make it sustainable...remains to be seen.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Flittersnoop said:

The number of UK modellers that are just sitting around thinking that what they really want to do is start a new layout for which they can buy a limited range of track and a couple of kits for buildings must be...  hardly any.

Well, I'm in...  just started looking into my next layout with a move up from N gauge and this is awesome news since I see this as a new scale to experiment with.  My ideas for the next layout were pushing me towards having to scratchbuild a lot of stuff anyway, but 1:120 with 12mm track for standard and 18mm track for the broad gauge should make all of that a lot easier with a lot of bits available for both gauges such as wheels, axles, etc etc.

I already have the 3d printer and was just having a little angst about N gauge broad gauge, so I'll probably dive into 1:120 and see what happens :)  Don't see that making dual gauge track would be harder in 1:120 than in N gauge.

Graham

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, AndyID said:

15% smaller.

2.5 mm/ft scale (or 1:120) is 16.7% smaller than 3 mm/ft scale (or 1:100); 3 mm/ft scale (or 1:100) is 20% bigger than 2.5 mm/ft scale (or 1:120). For the avoidance of ambiguity, perhaps it's clearer to say that the two scales stand in the ratio 5:6.

Oops - crossed with @Dunsignalling.

Edited by Compound2632

Just now, Compound2632 said:

2.5 mm/ft scale (or 1:120) is 16.7% smaller than 3 mm/ft scale (or 1:100); 3 mm/ft scale (or 1:100) is 20% bigger than 2.5 mm/ft scale (or 1:120).

Oops - crossed with @Dunsignalling.

Not quite. Its actually 1:102 versus 1:120 and 2.54 mm versus 3 mm.