PECO announces its entry into the TT gauge market

whart57

22 minutes ago, Phil Mason said:

But there won't be any RTR in 2.5mm scale

HI Phil,

Please don't call it 2.5mm scale. If everyone starts doing that it will cause no end of confusion. It's 1:120 scale or if you must 2.54mm/ft. I know it does not sound like much of a difference but it has already produced some misinformation in this tread and if it causes anyone to make models to the wrong scale it will lead to disappointment.

Cheers!

Andy

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, Phil Mason said:

3mm PIA/KIB under construction. Oops, it's on 1:120 running gear. And on H0m track. Oh dear, I've made a compromise. Help! Get me out of here...

B16152E5-D816-401A-A29B-C92007ADE33A.thumb.jpeg.070b135f00039180db01d54cfd66dd70.jpeg

Does Hood slide?

I clicked craftsmanship button but only allowed to click one wanted to press funny too...

Nice looking model

Edited by bradfordbuffer

Really? You're having a laugh! 

I admit it. I'm a complete heathen. I use 1:150 for N, sometimes 2mm for N, 1:100 for three mill. It makes no difference. It's plastic toy trains, not the international space station! Nobody will die (or even notice) if I get it wrong. 

My compromises are nowhere near that used by Peco for years for their H0/00 track. 

And, of course 2.5 is 2.54 rounded to two significant figures. I'm a (mediocre) modeller, not an engineer. I can only work to two significant figures. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Mason said:

Really? You're having a laugh! 

I admit it. I'm a complete heathen. I use 1:150 for N, sometimes 2mm for N, 1:100 for three mill. It makes no difference. It's plastic toy trains, not the international space station! Nobody will die (or even notice) if I get it wrong. 

My compromises are nowhere near that used by Peco for years for their H0/00 track. 

And, of course 2.5 is 2.54 rounded to two significant figures. I'm a (mediocre) modeller, not an engineer. I can only work to two significant figures. 

2.54mm to foot? So 3mm society 14.2mm gauge track nearly spot on for Spanish board gauge at 1,668mm gauge? Export sales for 3mm track!

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

6 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

I do hope this new venture isn't ruined by a loud few who have no interest other than to point out they shouldn't be making the damn stuff. 

I think you overestimate the importance of web forums in the planning process. If manufacturers waited until everyone online was happy, nothing would ever be produced!

• Like 5
  • Agree 13
  • Funny 1

5 hours ago, Phil Mason said:

I must admit I haven't read Modeller or any other commercial mag for 20 years or so. To me, they are full of the same stuff we've all seen before.

I've written for various mags for over 30 years and can assure you the world has moved on. Many of my early articles would have no place now as later developments have superseded them.

5 hours ago, Phil Mason said:

Seven plank wagon? What planet are they on? I have never even seen a real 7 plank wagon

I have. It was on a preserved railway. Do I get a prize?

• Like 3
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I think you overestimate the importance of web forums in the planning process.

Web forums are so you can find out what justification is being loudly given for not buying by the people who were never going to buy anyway.  Which is then safe to ignore.

There doesn't seem to be a reaction option for "let's wait and see, I am a grown up, I accept this might never happen but it would be good if it did". 🙂

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Phil Mason said:

But there won't be any RTR in 2.5mm scale or not of significance. It's pie in the sky. It makes no sense for all the above reasons. (See various comments re H0 and 'proper' N gauge). 

Oh I dunno ‘I’ll bet you a jam tart’ someone does as they’ve done this before with 009 ten years ago,

066A7185-F88B-4C42-9B91-AA14F93ABC87.thumb.jpeg.5b4e4ad7088a1550303a73c4cc6a37ce.jpeg
(with apologies to Clockwise)

How everyone likes justifying a new Loco . .

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 1

Why not call it 1/10 inch scale? That's what it was originally and Boris would be pleased we aren't talking metric things 😉 Otherwise PECO's TT:120 is simple and accurate.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Peco’s last push on expanding a scale,

It’s done really rather well with three main manufacturers, two of which Peco worked closely with. 

Agreed, but in this case, there are, as yet, no locomotives, no coaches, and just the one (possible) British outline wagon announced to to run on Peco's TT-120 track, however much they big it up.

OO9 is an established scale/gauge with plentiful availability of loco/rolling stock kits and components for the "real modeller". No such "cottage industry" support (yet?) exists for UK outline TT-120.

There doesn't even appear to be a budget continental range of TT-120 suitable for a bit of "bashing" or the addition of 3D printed upper-works. 

I don't consider that Peco would be daft enough to push this as hard as they have without there being locos and  rolling stock, coming from somewhere else to back it up. Who is going to build a layout with no known prospects of there being anything to run on it? Not me!

If UK r-t-r TT-120 is really going to happen, Peco is clearly not the only participant, and everyone involved should have co-ordinated their announcements. 

I'm still unsure exactly what is going on here, but one thing is certain, it's being very poorly handled.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

Who is going to build a layout with no known prospects of there being anything to run on it? Not me!

John

It is a very strange way to introduce a new scale (to the UK) when pretty much all one could build with currently announced products is a 'post Beeching, pre lifting' cameo.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Surprised no-one as yet has attempted to link this with Hornby's announcement a couple of weeks ago of a brand new tranche of funding from Secure Trust Bank of  £12 million for working capital for operational and "a return to nostalgia".  (Last quote from a Hornby management person).   Especially when they also talk about establishing new partnerships with the best manufacturers :)

May not be related, but it struck a chord with me, and since this is the noble region of speculation, I thought I would just throw it in there :)

Graham

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Moria15 said:

Surprised no-one as yet has attempted to link this with Hornby's announcement a couple of weeks ago of a brand new tranche of funding from Secure Trust Bank of  £12 million for working capital for operational and "a return to nostalgia".  (Last quote from a Hornby management person).   Especially when they also talk about establishing new partnerships with the best manufacturers :)

May not be related, but it struck a chord with me, and since this is the noble region of speculation, I thought I would just throw it in there :)

Graham

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind, although it would seem rather risky for Hornby to bet the farm on a new scale, but maybe they see the OO market as too crowded/saturated (not enough new shiny green engines) and want to try something else (that isn't N) 

Edited by spamcan61
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I must admit the thought has crossed my mind, although it would seem rather risky for Hornby to bet the farm on a new scale, but maybe they see the OO market as too crowded/saturated (not enough new shiny green engines) and want to try something else (that isn't N) 

Well, I'm no longer in business, but my brain is kinda linking the origionators of Triang TT (nostalgia especially as over the years many have questioned a return to TT especially after their forays into N seem to have faded )..  with a production facility and design team accustomed to 1:120 (Arnold) with a company that has already produced UK railway items to 1:120 (Corgi)  albeit non-working and a new fund as a possibility.

1:120 would not seem so much of a new scale to the existing Hornby teams as they already have teams working to that scale across the company.

Again, pure speculation, but thats what we are here for yes?

Graham

Edited by Moria15
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

I suppose the other thing to look at is Corgi with their TT locos. Could those tools be used to create motorised RTR stock?

Years ago, when I first took an interest in railway modelling, many of the established modellers were people who had seen active service in the war, had lived with rationing or had done national service. They were were a happy go lucky bunch who believed in make do and mend and had a can do attitude.  Now we seem to be over reliant on ready made models with manufacturers being berated for omitting to provide a very specific livery or minor variation. I’m sure TT 120 will appeal to modellers who want to roll their sleeves up and get making things. TT in its various guises is a very appealing Goldilocks scale and now that realistic track is available it’s time give it a go. 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
54 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

and everyone involved should have co-ordinated their announcements. 

Or it may be a clever way to keep it going for weeks ;) 

Just as it dies down you drop in the next one . . . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Having caught up with this thread after making some contributions earlier, I’m wondering if I’ve inadvertently added to some of the confusion over the European tie-in.  I don’t normally follow Trade-related threads, as the debates are not really my thing.  As best as I can summarise it then:

The Peco announcement caught my attention.  I think it’s excellent news and look forwards to finding out more.

Why?

For many years I was building up a collection of r-t-r OO Gauge models with a view to building a steam era layout (GW or early BR, with GW Branch Line my preference).  I like continuous run layouts rather than BLT’s, so I need space for some form of circuit.  But every time I got close to a layout design that was ready to go, the domestic squeeze on space sent me back to the drawing board.

I’d begun my modelling odyssey forty years ago with British N-Gauge, but I find it that bit too small for me now.  So I switched to Overseas Narrow Gauge modelling in HO Scale instead - the more compact trains and tighter radii meet my requirements, and while I have done a little bit of kit building and scratchbuilding, I’ve had access to r-t-r to get me going.  This means I’ve become familiar with the volume of European H0m and H0e rolling stock, and I have some 12mm H0m track.

So an announcement of a product line where the physical size of the trains might be what I’m now used to, running on a track gauge I’m used to, and where I may be able to turn to either UK or Continental prototypes all sounds very attractive.  I don’t see it as a competition - but a complementary offering.  And if Peco can bolster sales by tapping into the European track market too, that all helps. 

Add to this the reasonable prices being touted for the initial laser cut buildings, and you keep my interest alive.  As I have other projects on the go, there’s no rush.  It’s all positive as far as I can see.  Hope that helps, Keith.

Edited by Keith Addenbrooke
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

If UK r-t-r TT-120 is really going to happen, Peco is clearly not the only participant, and everyone involved should have co-ordinated their announcements. 

I'm still unsure exactly what is going on here, but one thing is certain, it's being very poorly handled.

Oh dear, you're so close to the wording here, it's not even funny: https://news.lugnet.com/general/?n=43860

6 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

If they mess about like that, I'm out!

Wait, what?  You were ever in?  Judging by your posts so far in this thread, the language you write in, and the language I read seem to use the same words, but have utterly different meanings.  🙂

Communicating, it's a funny old game eh.

Anyway is there a class 66 yet?

Edited by andythenorth
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

I’m not sure about this nostalgia thing. I’m closer to 60 than 50. I got my first trainset when I was 11. Built a layout in my early teens, dropped it as a late teen, before emigrating to Denmark. Started a new modelling project as a thing to do together with my three boys in my late 40’s, and now I am very slowly building a model of a real location with hand built points and scratch built buildings. Probably quite a typical modelling ‘career’, apart from the emigration. I simply cannot remember ever seeing TT and feel no nostalgia for it. I might (for once) be too young. But if that is true, then the nostalgia market is shrinking and will within a decade probably disappear.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Dunsignalling said:

and everyone involved should have co-ordinated their announcements. 

Kinda like the major manufacturers do each year with OO?  Yeah.. never going to happen :)

Graham