RMweb

KITMASTER GENESIS – O GAUGE BUILDINGS

AY Mod

• Moderators

Kitmaster Genesis – O Gauge Buildings

Station Building A.png

Announced at the Guild O Gauge Doncaster show 2022

Dapol have a long standing tradition of manufacturing self-assembly kits in the UK. Some of our Kitmaster tooling dates back to the late 1950’s and is a real testament to how good the tool makers in this country were back then.

As part of Dapol’s commitment to continue manufacturing as many products in the UK as possible we are launching a new series of laser cut card kits. This represents a major investment in new equipment to be used here in Chirk where the kits are designed and manufactured in house. The new range of models will be marketed under the brand name Kitmaster Genesis to pay homage to the old whist embracing an exciting new future.

The kits will be laser cut from the finest self-coloured card and will include all the necessary injection moulded or 3D printed accessory parts (including glazing) to complete the model. Where appropriate the models will be supplied with printed interior decoration. All you need is glue.

Signal box C.jpg

The kits are based on real world prototypes but are easily customizable lending themselves to “kit bashing” should the modeler wish to have something truly bespoke on their layout. Each kit will have a set of detailed assembly instructions included with them.

https://www.dapol.co.uk/Kitmaster-Genesis-O-Gauge-Buildings

Coal stage hut.jpg

Platforms.jpg

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium

Some real potential there and given the popularity of O gauge at the moment, I can see why they have done this. The prices however are eye watering.

• Agree 5

• RMweb Gold

The L&B ones are intriguing, but as noted they aren’t going to be cheap. As Peco say they are releasing the TT buildings in card to keep costs down you wonder what plastic kits would have cost! 
Still if they’re good and easy to build they could be worth it. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Kris said:

Some real potential there and given the popularity of O gauge at the moment, I can see why they have done this. The prices however are eye watering.

They are and I don't disagree at a headline level it is a lot of money but looking at Intentio for example the cost of a similar yard office is in the same ball park and Dapol are self coloured so saves the cost of paint. LCUT are cheaper but when I built their yard office I had to do a load of work (New window cills, fit drain pipes and guttering, replace the roof, new barge boards, interior) to get it to something close to the standard of the Dapol office 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

• RMweb Gold

I really hope these home grown products sell well, offering a great kit and parts that can be adapted with of course a good company products first.  A timeless series of designs and the Western ones offer great promise. The Tie in with the NG world makes the L&B ones an inspired choice with  use on every freelance line.  

I look forward to the next releases and harnessing 3d print  for parts does make shrink ray requests much more achievable -time will tell if we see support for other scales.

Robert 

9 hours ago, GNR Dave said:

The station in the first pic is a lovely building, but at nearly £300 for a card kit it's too rich for my pocket.😲

For that money, you could have an Intentio kit made from wood, double skinned interior, and that will last 20 plus years. 

Undoubtably these kits will do well but for just a little more money, Intentio and there are other similar manufactures, will supply you a much better offering and better value for money too.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ben from Dapol kindly replied with the planned L&B range so far,

”At the moment our L&B range of buildings include the following:

Woody Bay Station Building

Chelfham Station Building

Chelfham Toilets

Standard L&B Design Signal Cabin”

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Oddingley is a really good choice for the single storey signal box. I remember visiting it for work purposes when it was still functioning at it's original location (ie. Oddingley). A really idyllic setting, next to the Worcester - Birmingham canal and latterly hardly any traffic to disturb the crossing keeper's reverie.

A few years ago, when a RMT strike was being planned, we NR managers were told that we had to do some scabbing cover a suitable signalling location, commensurate with our experience and knowledge. Never having been a main line signaller (heritage railways didn't count), I was allocated a crossing keepers position to learn, so I asked for Oddingley.

I made some visits with the local operations manager, to learn the duties prior to being examined for the temporary role and took lots of photos.

All plans for the strike (some 3 consecutive days, IIRC) were made. I was booked into a local hotel and I had selected a variety of Chivers wagon kits that I was going to build during each of my turns of duty, but then the strike was called off, after a better offer was accepted. I remember feeling somewhat cheated!

Anyway, not sure if I'll need a 7mm version, but if Dapol were to produce a 4mm kit, I'd find it hard to resist.

• Like 3

If the kit is Laser cut and 3D printed, scaling the CAD files should be no problem at all. Many 3D printers and laser cutting companies offer scale changes at no extra cost, unless you are scaling up and therefore using more resin or card.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Has anyone bought and built any of the L&B buildings? Any thoughts on quality? Do they need painting or is the supplied finish satisfactory? Dapol were suggesting that painting was not necessary…

Thanks.