OO Clearances

several years ago one of the Modelling magazines (Model Rail I think) printed a clearances diagram which showed the clearance in MM from the rail to surrounding objects (Platform edges, bridge abutments, signal masts and heads, catenary etc etc. Does anyone, by any chance have a copy?

Regards

Ian_B

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, ejstubbs said:

I don't know if it's the one you have in mind, but this is the one I usually refer to:

250433566_OOGaugeStandardDimensions.jpg.4e66de55a37fd4788a25d2397f609c5a.jpg

No idea where I first got it from, I'm afraid.

It's from a Railway Modeller publication - it's something that has appeared multiple times. In 'Starting in scale OO', for sure.

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Les Bird said:

Everything you need to know can be found on the British Railway Modelling Standards Bureau website.

Do you have an URL for that site?

6 hours ago, kevinlms said:

It's from a Railway Modeller publication - it's something that has appeared multiple times. In 'Starting in scale OO', for sure.

It predates the Railway Modeller publication. I am not sure of its origins, but a version of it appeared in the Bassett-Lowke Model Railway Handbook.

• Informative/Useful 1

Would this table be helpful too? I can't locate the drawing that accompanied it at the mo'. It showed most of what is on the dimensioned drawing above but also showed from where the radii were taken when constructing tunnel mouths. If I can find it again, I'll post it separately.

Cheers,

Philip

PS: The .gif isn't a moving picture, just a picture.

00dimensions_chart.gif.d265b6474c87371b44e68063f2230a25.gif

Edited by Philou
  • Informative/Useful 3

Maybe you'd like this one as well - very clearly laid out. A more modern version of the first drawing. I use a centre spacing of 45mm and not 50mm as shown as dimension A in this latest table as I find it more realistic though you have allow for 'widening' on curves of less than 7ft (c. 2.1m) radius due to under- and over-hang.

Scale_Loading_Gauges.pdf

Cheers,

Philip

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
On 16/06/2022 at 17:46, goldfish said:

It predates the Railway Modeller publication. I am not sure of its origins, but a version of it appeared in the Bassett-Lowke Model Railway Handbook.

No doubt it has been published many times, but the specific OO one posted by EJStubbs earlier, is exactly the same as the one in my book, except there is a box at the top which says 'appendix 1'.

On 16/06/2022 at 11:13, Philou said:

Maybe you'd like this one as well - very clearly laid out.

I just found a copy that I printed out a while ago and was just about to post it until I saw you had beaten me to it!  Its useful because it combines all the major scales.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 17/06/2022 at 09:18, goldfish said:

Doesn't work for me.

This any good?

https://www.elginmodelrailwayclub.co.uk/2010/articles/advice/standard-railway-modelling-dimmensions.html

"The following diagrams show the structure dimensions with the table indicating the appropriate measurements in various scales as devised by the British Railway Modeling Standards Bureau (BRMSB)."

It's not the BRMSB web site as mentioned by Les Bird - but then I'm not sure that such a thing exists, given that the BRMSB itself seems to have ceased to operate 60 years ago or more, before the world-wide web was even a twinkle in Tim Berners-Lee's eye.

There's another thread about the BRMSB standards here.

• Informative/Useful 1

.............. and just when you all thought it was safe to come out, here's another one. This time, it's for comparative purposes as it's for the 1:1 railway - extract from the Blue Book. You can compare the real world dimensions with our modelling ones.

BlueBookclearancediagram.JPG.6c566d44d05445dcd09cb681f593835d.JPG

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Philou said:

.............. and just when you all thought it was safe to come out, here's another one. This time, it's for comparative purposes as it's for the 1:1 railway - extract from the Blue Book. You can compare the real world dimensions with our modelling ones.

BlueBookclearancediagram.JPG.6c566d44d05445dcd09cb681f593835d.JPG

Cheers,

Philip

Suitable for P4 modellers.....

• Agree 1
  • Funny 2