Welcome to TT:120

17 minutes ago, Moxy said:

Someone on the Hornby forum had a similar experience:

"I was able to get a ROW free membership. I started to register and realized it was UK only. When I removed that from my cart, it came up with other similar items, which had the ROW free club membership."

It seems the Hornby site can recognise non UK addresses.

Hope this helps

Thank you, it did!

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

I have always modelled in OO, but Peco’s announcement several months ago got my interest.

With Hornby’s announcement yesterday, I am seriously considering either building a new garage layout or an exhibition layout in TT 120.

• Like 4

A thought has occured to me about the track standards adopted by Peco and Hornby...

Peco's code 55 uses the same rail profile as their code 55 N, which will connect to their code 80 N track with some packing beneath the sleepers.  With Hornby's being code 80, and presumably having been in communication with Peco for the close timing between range launches, I wouldn't be surprised if the same is possible in TT.

Edited by Taigatrommel

I'd be very surprised if it couldn't! For the record Tillig and Roco code 83 will connect with Peco's code 80 and 55 as well, so anyone using Tillig's TT track won't have any issues either other than which rail joiner to use.

Edited by Hobby
  • Like 1

I had a look at Hornby's range and was wondering two things about the their track. How does the sleeper spacing compare with Tillig and Peco and what nominal radius are their points - The points look to be very dead frog - i.e. rather a lot of plastic between metal rails.

I'll be interested to see if they ever go for TT in their Jouef French outline range but I'm not holding my breath as the scale seems all but  unknown there.

BTW A bit of a long shot but does anyone remember the 8ft by 4ft US outline TT layout that Geroge Reffin built way back? 

Edited by Pacific231G
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

How does the sleeper spacing compare with Tillig and Peco and what nominal radius are their points

It'll be hard to comment on the sleeper spacing until I see it for real.  The points are listed in the brochure as 631mm radius with 15 degree angle.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Pacific231G said:

I'll be interested to see if they ever go for TT in their Jouef French outline range but I'm not holding my breath as the scale seems all but  unknown there.

Maybe? Tillig have periodically put out some French outline stuff (along with Benelux as well). If the British undertaking goes well, why not? Though I'd more expect any French models to be part of the Arnold range, to keep Continental TT all under one label?

• Like 2

Rather a peculiar choice for their first two Mk 1 coaches of a BCK and CK! The BCK is fine - one could even be used as a one coach branch train after coming off one end of a mainline train, but a train made up of all composites is highly unlikely. It would have been better if they had done an SK rather than a CK which would also mean they could have done an SO later using the same body shell.

Edited by HSB
  • Agree 1

Well, that's me signed up to the club and it was pretty painless as it recognised all my details from when I was in the normal club.

Let's see if they can convince me that it's worth a go!

I'm one of those people who like having a good read rather than seeing things on the internet.

I might pick up the PECO GWR buildings in the next week or so. If all else fails, I can at least make a diorama out of them.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 09/09/2022 at 21:29, andythenorth said:

@Hobby

Got any recent import customs invoices for MBL? 

I think for Walthers US imports I was paying about £20 per £100 spent, but I don't have any recent customs invoices to hand 🙂 

It's not exactly that I can't pay the duty, I suspect it's more that I'm looking for excuses to go to Europe 😛

I had a TT Ceske Drahy 742 diesel and a couple of packs of Tillig and Kühn couplers from Elwira.de earlier this year, German VAT taken off at point of sale and 20% UK VAT applied once it hit these shores (plus the inevitable handling fee from DPS).

It was easier pro-Brexit, sadly a number of the excellent small Czech manufacturers will no longer ship to the UK, indeed even Elwira are no longer accepting new accounts from the UK (but are, for the moment at least, allowing existing UK accounts to order)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, HSB said:

Rather a peculiar choice for their first two Mk 1 coaches of a BCK and CK! The BCK is fine - one could even be used as a one coach branch train after coming off one end of a mainline train, but a train made up of all composites is highly unlikely. It would have been better if they had done an SK rather than a CK which would also mean they could have done an SO later using the same body shell.

Continues the fine long-standing tradition (at least in OO) of MK1 and Mk2 production runs having as many BCK or BFK brake coaches as any other type. 🙃   Everyone from Lima to Bachmann seems to have done this 🙂

Having bought 2 full HST rakes (swallow, blue-grey), it's notable that there are enough MK3s in the range for a full 7+2 or 8+2 consist without repeating numbers.  Not that I'd have minded repeating numbers, doesn't bother me much 😀

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

What have I done? The wife will kill me!

Extravagantly ordered three diesels, a load of Mk2s and a handful of wagons for that adorable 08 to shunt.

Aaargh, no buyers remorse here.

John

I’d really better get that Peco signal box built soon. I handled some of the Peco track on my last visit to my LHS - it’s really nice.

Edited by Allegheny1600
PS
  • Like 3
  • Round of applause 1

19 hours ago, Chris116 said:

The old Tri-ang TT used to have a few French item so it would be following a pattern already set by Margate.

Indeed.Tri-ang did have a presence in France having bought the VB brand but their French catlalogue identified VB as the H0 brand but Tri-ang TT as the TT brand. I don't know if the models were nominally supposed to be to 1/100 or 1/120 scale but from what I've seen at exhibtion displays  by Tri-ang collectors they look more like 1/100 and used the same chassis as the TT-3 range. They  were rather cruder than the British range with two rather generic steam locos (an 0-6-0 T and a Pacific based vaguely on a rather Germanic Alsace prototype, both using the familia "Jinty" mechanism)  shortie versions of a DEV inox (stainelss steel) and a DEV verte (green) coach and a few wagons.  Most of what was in the French TT catalogue including an electric loco and suburban EMU was never actually produced. More details here http://www.tri-angtt.org.uk/continentalind.htm

On 09/09/2022 at 13:28, Hobby said:

I think we'll know more in 12/18 months time. I'm in no rush so quite happy to wait patiently. In the meantime if anyone is desperate to try TT there's plenty of Continental models.

Hi, do you have any recommendations for retailers of these models?

Thanks

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Haymarket47 said:

Hi, do you have any recommendations for retailers of these models?

Thanks

Golden Valley Models import Tillig — the major range. Gaugemaster do Piko. Not sure how much stock they carry.

In Germany, Modellbahnshop-Lippe and Modellbahn Union carry stocks, and will sell to UK addresses. The latter also have an eBay shop.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Unlikely — Bachmann don't offer TT in their Liliput range, in the larger German market.

(reply to Natterjack — posts overlapped)

But Bachmann already have small enough mechanisms available. It is a matter of how lateral their marketing may be with  designs currently unique to the brand and thus free from immediate direct competition.