N Gauge SECR Wagon Range

rapidoandy

Rapido Trains UK is to answer the calls of ‘N’ gauge modellers by scaling down four of its popular ‘OO’ gauge South Eastern & Chatham Railway wagons to 2mm:1ft scale.  

1734337676_UK942Horizontal1919x60016x4Pack(1).thumb.jpg.2b9a9f61ce47dfe14660746732bcd040.jpg

Rapido’s new ‘N’ gauge range of SECR wagons comprises the Diagram. 1349 five-plank open, the Dia. 1355 seven-plank open, the Dia. 1426 10t van and the six-wheel dual-veranda brake van.

The entry point to the range are the four ‘Freight Train Packs’, which contain 1x Dia. 1349 five-plank, 1x Dia. 1355 seven-plank, 1x Dia. 1426 van and 1x dual veranda brake van. The five-plank, seven-plank and 10t van are also available in triple packs so that modellers can increase the length of a goods train at a stroke. Each model will have a unique running number.

74188211_NgaugePic8.thumb.png.5d482a347a62a85d31130107529a344d.png

Each pack will be available in SECR, SR (pre-’36 & post-36) and BR liveries.

Sales & Marketing Manager Richard Foster said, “Sales of our ‘OO’ gauge SECR wagons have exceeded our expectations and we hope that the same will be true in ‘N’, particularly as so many ‘N’ gauge modellers have asked us if we’ll scale down our wagons. If these packs are successful, then we’ll consider doing the same with models from other regions. With the ‘Iron Mink’, GWR four-plank and Dia. AA20 ‘Toad’, we’ve already got the makings of a GWR-themed pack!

1545386064_NgaugePic2.thumb.PNG.2d84be09e44c99b4a188b273936fe2ed.PNG

“This is a bit of a different approach to take but we think that it’s the simplest way to build up accurate SECR and Southern Region goods trains in ‘N’.”

RRP for the freight train pack is £99.95

RRP for the triple packs is £69.95

807875532_NgaugePic6.thumb.png.a250c5dbd64352fbf8dd3ac243454529.png

1694249648_NgaugePic4.thumb.png.54ea80217f461c50ee23be9248eab230.png

948025340_NgaugePic1.thumb.png.176fa6398749601397a469805507002c.png

• Like 11
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium

Tempted by a set to hang behind my LBSCR terrier.

I hope these are a success and lead to the proposed OAA being sent through the shrink-ray too!

Can anything be done to reduce the apparent thickness of the van roof?

Steven B.

• RMweb Premium

Just to say thanks and well done to Rapido for this - and a reminder that after Grouping “ordinary” SR wagons would be seen all over the national network thanks to pooling. Not in huge numbers - the SR didn’t have a lot of wagons compared to the other three Big Four - but they’d be there.

Triple packs also a great idea.

This LNER N gauge modeller will be ordering a few packs just to spice up my goods trains (and for 2mm conversion for my side project, as the detail makes this worth it!)

Now, Rapido, similar products of “ordinary” wagons & vans for the other Big Three in N please! Locos in N would be nice, but if wagons are the easier first step then go for it.

Having ordered a Co-Bo that I have no use for simply in order to encourage Rapido’s N ambitions, it’s great to be able to buy something for which I *do* have a use! 

Richard T

Edited by RichardT
Fat fingers again
  • Like 2

22 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Excellent news! I'll definitely be buying a couple of packs. 

I wonder if you might consider a bluebell pack or their preserved wagons?

Given that the Bluebell's preserved examples were released in OO, I strongly suspect that the same wagons will appear within the announced packs.

Excellent news - older style wagons with NEM pockets for the Dapol uncouplers. One issue with using these couplers on small wheelbase wagons is the weight of the wagon, so they tend to tip up over the magnets. So need to be a decent weight to stop this.

Any idea when these wagons will become available?

Nick 

• 10 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Those samples look really good. What axle length is used, and what angle the points? I’m sorely tempted to acquire some but would like to know if any of the 2mm Scale Association wheelsets are a straight swap before I spend more than £60/3 wagon. The time saved needs to be worth the investment for me.