XO4 motor

michael590

• RMweb Premium

Hi Michael

Welcome to the Forum.

The motor will receive it's power from two places.

One brush ( which has an insulated sleeve) should be connected to some pickups on the back of the wheels on one side and the other will be through the chassis to the other brush which is not insulated

Without any suppression components that means just one wire from the insulated motor brush to the pickups.

The wheels should be insulated on the one side (Usually a plastic bush on the axle) where the pickups are and solid on the other to make a connection through the chassis block.

Edited by melmerby
  • Agree 1

It looks to me as if you've got the wire from the pickups going on to one side of the suppressor, and the brush wire going from the other side of the suppressor to the brush.

The two wires should both go to the same side of the suppressor, and the brush wire should go to the brush on the side of the chassis the pickup wire comes from (you will need to either turn the spring clip over or move the insulation to the other arm).

image.png.eb7968623422e493b82e5319c99c84f5.png

• Agree 2

From the blurry pictures I think you have a ceramic capacitor in series with the motor leads.   It should be in parallel, effectively shorting the motor, but only for the tiny amount of time t takes it to charge.  These chassis had a different set up from new, a white hollow component.  I always bin them and use a ceramic cap like yours instead.

A picture of the bottom of the loco would be good.  I think it's possible to fit the pick up plate backwards on these.    I have about a dozen but can't get to them at present. Many / Most came with a wire spring pick up, early and late ones came with brass or phospher bronze strip pickup.  The insulated wheel has a noticeable bush between wheel and axle, the non insulated obviously does not, pick up should bear on the insulated wheel.