RMweb

Its been too cold to do any printing lately so been working on this GER Machinery Wagon or Mac K in LNER days, seen here with an attempt to create a Thresher machine as a load. @thegreenhowards I will draw the line at 3d printing the rope used to hold this onto the wagon ;)

GER_MACK03.jpg.fb23dd3a9664a2a6631bb87c7368db13.jpg

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, thegreenhowards said:

Thank goodness for that! Much better off with some cotton or thicker thread.

I’d recommend rigging cord, used by the ship modellers - it’s almost hairless, comes in a variety of thicknesses, and the ‘natural’ colour is good for rope. See, for example:

https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Model-Boat-Fittings-Rigging-Thread.html

Nick.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks guys just looked at that link you sent magmouse, very useful, what thickness would you recommend for 7mm rope .25 or .50 ? Cheers

Edited by woko

• RMweb Premium

Railway ropes were pretty much standardised at 75 feet long and 2.5 inch circumference. In 7mm scale, 0.5mm is pretty close. The bit that is harder to model is the coloured thread(s) or strand(s) identifying the railway company - in the pre-grouping period, each company had its own colour code, agreed with the Railway Clearing House. For the GER, it was one red strand.

Possibly a detail too far....

Nick.

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

Also worth noting that a vehicle like this would have had the wheels chocked as well as ropes round the axles. I have found it hard to find really clear pictures of how this was done, but these might help:

https://www.gettyimages.ca/photos/lorry-trailer-james-schoolbred?family=editorial&assettype=image&phrase=lorry trailer James schoolbred

Nick.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, magmouse said:

Railway ropes were pretty much standardised at 75 feet long and 2.5 inch circumference. In 7mm scale, 0.5mm is pretty close. The bit that is harder to model is the coloured thread(s) or strand(s) identifying the railway company - in the pre-grouping period, each company had its own colour code, agreed with the Railway Clearing House. For the GER, it was one red strand.

Possibly a detail too far....

Someone on the HMRS Electronic Area Group took me to task for not having represented this on my 4 mm scale models. There followed a debate about strands and threads, from which I learned that a rope would normally have three strands made up of some number - seven I think - of threads. So on a new rope, a coloured strand would stand out clearly but a thread would be harder to pick out. I do wonder, though, how long this would remain the case for a rope in continuous use. I'm not rushing to build myself a working 4 mm scale rope walk; I'm happy sticking with charcoal-coloured sewing thread.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

There followed a debate about strands and threads, from which I learned that a rope would normally have three strands made up of some number - seven I think - of threads. So on a new rope, a coloured strand would stand out clearly but a thread would be harder to pick out. I do wonder, though, how long this would remain the case for a rope in continuous use.

I saw that email discussion - and pointed out that the GWR "one white and two green strand" colour scheme ought to be reasonably visible in photos, at least as one slightly darker strand compared to the other two. I've looked at a few photos and can see no trace, so I am not too worried my models also show no trace...

27 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I'm not rushing to build myself a working 4 mm scale rope walk

Despite my comments above, I feel the P4/S7 folks really should do this if they are really taking their modelling seriously! Oh, wait, that's me...

Nick.

Edited by magmouse
correction of the GWR rope colour code
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

6 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

...and threads

Then I hope you told him to get knotted: no such term is widely used in rope manufacture!

ijna_235_f1.gif

'Normal' rope is fibers twisted (via a couple if stages) into yarns, which are then layed up into strands, three of which are layed up into rope.

1920px-SuperMacro_Rope.JPG

The final stage is clockwise, the "Z Twist" above, and the rope should be coiled likewise

main-qimg-3b6fb279a7af85a55abc67a480a9f4

to prevent kinks which can permanently weaken the rope.

I hate to say it, but none of the above is harder than things modellers already do, and nor is unlaying a couple lenths of scale rope to its constituent strands and using those to lay up rope (by hand, no scale machinery required!) with the desired colours...

...but one may still reasonably feel life is too short :) 

• Informative/Useful 5

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Schooner said:

Then I hope you told him to get knotted: no such term is widely used in rope manufacture!

The thing is, the term 'thread' is used in contemporary accounts of railway ropes - see R.J. Essery, 'Sheets, Ropes and Sacks', Midland Record No. 3. 

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

The thing is, the term 'thread' is used in contemporary accounts of railway ropes - see R.J. Essery, 'Sheets, Ropes and Sacks', Midland Record No. 3. 

And in the RCH documentation of the colour codes - see https://www.crassoc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12854&sid=b443085dcd80727b92ba0e97ec1f09bb#p12854

Nick.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Schooner said:

Then I hope you told him

Her, as it happens, or at least that's the assumption to be made from the nom-de-forum.

Edited by Compound2632

Well that's me told on both counts!

Hmmm...'yarn' and 'thread' each have specific meanings and contexts to do with construction and application, and not just in modern usage. @magmouse, have theatre riggers bored you with such chat? Can you remember the terms used? They'll likely be maritime-biased, given the history, but would make an interesting* reference point. Regardless, the railway term is clearly wrong clear!

*YMMV

• Like 1

1 hour ago, magmouse said:

And in the RCH documentation of the colour codes

Ah, cool - crisis averted! Just read the attached. The terms are not being used interchangably, any more than 'yarn' and 'wire', but refer to a coloured thread being added to the yarns in the lay-up of each strand. Which makes a load of sense linguistically and practically!

Normality restored, we can all relax and go about our days now 😎

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Schooner said:

have theatre riggers bored you with such chat? Can you remember the terms used?

I don't recall ever getting into this level of detail, in terms of the construction of ropes. For most purposes in theatre, there are 'hemps' (hemp ropes of about 3/4 inch diameter) and 'sash' (cord originally used for sash windows, but now a term used for any small rope/cord around 1/3rd inch diameter). In theatre, just as you only really need 3 or 4 knots, you only need a couple of types of rope. All the serious rigging has moved to steel wire, webbing slings and the like, to meet H&S regulations.

Nick

(I'm sure @woko will be along soon with another amazing 3D print, to claim his bench back!)

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

18 minutes ago, magmouse said:

(I'm sure @woko will be along soon with another amazing 3D print, to claim his bench back!)

Haha no you chaps crack on Nick! im enjoying the sharing of knowledge and ropey Banter ;) 

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update on the Smithfield station facade!  lots of modelling still to do, especially inside the building

!

We are hoping to model a partly  cutaway station with ticket halls, waiting rooms, and I couldn't resist adding a Victorian Gents in one of the side wings!!! 

I have lots of extra bits to model including furniture, fireplaces, toilets/urinals, stairs, ticket offices etc!

The floors are going to be made from coffee stirrers for floorboards, and joists.

The roof will need some figuring out, but so far this building is in 3 parts, the roofs will add a further 3 sections, and all the interior details will be resin printed so as to get better detail, whilst this shell will be FDM

Smithfield_station_facadePT3.jpg.96e9178ac462600c50a0ecd6c8b30ca0.jpg

Smithfield_station_facadePT4.jpg.56a66c0e7da8e406fafe1970944dca22.jpg

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 2

• 1 month later...

Been a while since I posted anything! House moving malarkey is getting nearer and nearer!

however in the meantime building this little baby onto a Dapol O gauge Terrier chassis has been keeping me saneish!

Great Eastern Railway E22 or J65 if you prefer your LNER/BR eras!

taken on Smithfield the clubs layout!

C5CEF8A3-A8BE-4EA0-90E5-9E0D43D6A563.jpeg.14582a4135906cc4ae908be4e53547a8.jpeg

55EAE9D0-9545-453C-BBCB-1BFEEA398688.jpeg.506f5d0366936772cd4ff618d3768540.jpeg

A17D5FE5-A187-42F6-947A-B8D67B96D725.jpeg.ceaec78a52e2d0cbe08fa8a6bbbbe25b.jpeg

046A30F5-1858-4AE6-B7F8-A7F711F73C37.jpeg.280345bcd2918320939ecf6f621cee20.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4
  • Round of applause 1