And some pictures of the latest almost finished Billinton coaches in LBSC Umber

Some slight weathering down is still needed on these, especially the brass in places, roofs are still loose as I need to check the weighting is ok on the track at the club when going across points!

And of course they still need transfers/decals to finish them off!

30ft three compartment brake 3rd, 30ft Five compartment third, 32ft First, and 32ft Lav comp so far!

Still to come another 30ft third, and I was hoping to knock out a double ducket full brake, however im struggling to get this to work, so I may just paint up another 3 compartment third to finish the rake off ready for the exhibition rake to have that ready as I need to move onto the N7, and finish off the 34ft GER coaches. So if I have time I will try to get a double ducket brake finished next year!

IMG_0538.jpeg.1cb3bf3976f71754087207d1a58375da.jpeg

IMG_0539.jpeg.100040348f74b844e44a3aeb66a161ad.jpeg

IMG_0533.jpeg.0c89fa747d28251b2e49f06a2f498a12.jpeg

IMG_0536.jpeg.4c933c008a69d95e74bb82aeb9fe7771.jpeg

IMG_0531.jpeg.1cf191e494a38ec4f4d9bc756b33bc3b.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

7 hours ago, JCL said:

Certainly well. I'm attempting to print a diesel railcar in 7mm on an Ender 3 to see if I can. On the diagonal it comes right up to the edges!

I will be looking forward to seeing that when it comes out sir :) 

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Now the Billinton’s are almost finished bar 3 coaches which are sitting on my bench i’ve turned my attention back to the GER N7/L77 that im hoping to finish before christmas all being well!

So thanks to @thegreenhowards help on cutting away some of the extra bulk on the Dapol Jinty chassis I have the 3d printed body sitting reasonably well on top! I have also blocked in the trailing wheel at the back, once this has been tested and hopefully she will run. I will start to paint her up!

Although I couldn’t resist starting the painting in the interior cab detail, for some reason this is one of my favourite jobs! More to do inside, but she is slowly taking shape.

I have a pot full of details for this loco, she certainly packs a huge amount of external detailing, which will be fun to add once painted.

F4FA8070-A395-42AC-B153-8ACA36011647.jpeg.2f030ab3b9004650dc16d16cab5ca601.jpeg

E3EB09E9-8EBA-4282-89CB-B746AEE2F88C.jpeg.0258d0717d5b801a8ffbf96daa5607b3.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• 4 weeks later...

I figure now the weather is colder the printing is a bit trickier I will spend the colder months working up some new 3D models to print out next year! So next up is this GER M15/F5 in 7mm. Once I still hope to have the N7 finished soon!

GER_M15_itop.jpg.5ae83e69e320de7f028d6ad16e6b0582.jpg

GER_M15_FRONT.jpg.4497be40b6dc26041bf0f2234b549077.jpg

GER_M15_Back.jpg.95aacb2477941de60451d243f134d422.jpg

GER_M15_interior.jpg.036ce11a5a07e084cb9f09544de30f0a.jpg

• Like 14
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

29 minutes ago, woko said:

what shall I model next

Left field, and I don't think they align with your interests too well, but...

Drummond S14 0-4-0

LSWR Drummond class S14 locomotive at Brighton Modelworld 2013

?!

Slightly more seriously, and of use to many more (being a successful Beyer Peacock design of the 1870s, sold in significant numbers to the LSWR, Ireland, Sweden, collieries and light railways as an 0-6-0T and 0-4-2T, allowing for a very little modeller's lisence), what's often referred to as the LSWR 330

P1070038blog.jpg

No.7 - Beattie LSWR 0-6-0ST - built 1882 by Beyer Peacock & Co. as LSWR No.127 - 01/26 sold to EKR - 1936 new smokebox fitted in place of original sloping front type - 09/44 withdrawn - 03/46 scrapped at Ashford, where seen.

Class J23 - 475 - CB&SCR 0-6-0ST - built 1887 by Beyer Peacock & Co., Works No.2902, as CB&SCR No.5 - 1925 to GSR as No.475 - withdrawn 1939 - seen here sunting in Cork Docks.

05116-chawner-0-4-2st-beyer-peacock-462-

etc

Not that I'm on the cusp of a 7mm LSWR dockside inglenook or anything... 😎

• Like 2
  • Funny 1

Hahaha thanks Schooner I do love the Drummond S14, that is a cracking loco! Very different! And quite possibly easy to sit on an existing chassis potentially! We currently have a very limited range of LBSC loco's for the exhibition (smithfield) layout so im thinking either a D1 or and E3/4 but ideally I would love to build a I3

• Like 1

12 hours ago, EasternO said:

How about a J15 or E4?

I do fancy doing a J15 indeedie good choice it’s definitely on my list! I’m thinking a J65 also as it’s quite different from a j69! Plus they had a few in London at Fenchchurch apparently! 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, EasternO said:

I'm buying a resin printer in January. It's 12k with a fairly big build plate. If you need help printing big parts next year I'd be happy to help out.

Thank you kindly sir! I may just do that, as I’m probably going to have to pack my printers away next year due to a house move at some point! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, thegreenhowards said:

The D1 has to be top priority for your Billington 6 wheelers. If you knock that up, we might have to subsidise your heating bills for a couple of weeks so you can print them in winter!

D1 sounds good I have the drawings, I will get on it! I do fancy doing an I3 though, and trying out a 3d printed chassis to see if I can get it to work? Especially as the I3 only has a couple of con rods so shouldn’t be as tricky to get working! The front bogie might need some thought tho! 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, EasternO said:

I'm buying a resin printer in January. It's 12k with a fairly big build plate. If you need help printing big parts next year I'd be happy to help out.

Is it the Elegoo  or the Anycubic?  I have them both -  one is definitely brilliant, the other one definitely not!

41 minutes ago, monkeysarefun said:

Is it the Elegoo  or the Anycubic?  I have them both -  one is definitely brilliant, the other one definitely not!

It's neither of those.

Out of interest, which one is the better one and why? This will be my first 3D printer of any type.

On 10/12/2023 at 07:45, EasternO said:

It's neither of those.

Out of interest, which one is the better one and why? This will be my first 3D printer of any type.

Personal experience only, but I initially got the Anycubic M5s. I just could not get a decent print out of it. Details were soft and fairly undefined. There were reports online of many having similar issues, there are youtube videos that demonstrate it. Blame was placed on the type of film that it uses in order to produce fast prints, it is slightly rubbery and opaque compared to traditional FEP. The "fix" is  to replace the film with FEP.

Other than that though, it took many many attempts to successfully get it levelled, and I could not get it to work at all with some types of resin that I usually used, resin that I'd been using happily on previous printers (Elegoo Mars, Saturn and Saturn 2 8K).

Anyway, about that time Elegoo released the Ultra 3 so I got one of those instead and am much happier with it. Although it too used the same FEP, the prints were a lot cleaner, I am wondering if that is because the light array it uses is more sophisticated. That is a bit academic though because that ACF film is not as robust as the traditional stuff and I managed to pierce mine somehow within the first week or too, so it too uses whatever the  type of FEP that  the Saturn 2 8K uses, because I just stole the vat off of that, and have had months of trouble free printing since.

Nice to haves about it is the buildplate  joint is a very robust 4-point mount that once I set I have not had to touch again, the build plate itself has a laser-etched finish which makes it the best plate I have ever had when it comes to removing completed prints. The spatula just needs to lift up one corner and the rest of the print just slides off, I'm assuming that the etching prevents the suction which is what keeps many prints stuck down hard.

Finally, the network printing is a very nice-to-have, sure beats using an old  sticky, gooey USB drive!

Here is the weekends print, O gauge. Drawn up in Blender.

image.png.587ffc6580d0e04130805d6b956cf468.png

(The weather here is very conducive to keeping the resin printable -  this was done on the 40 degree day that we had on Saturday!)

Edited by monkeysarefun
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3