Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Unusual freight working Exeter to Westbury

KeithHC

I have watched a couple of freight workings that seam to happen on a Sunday. The route is Exeter st David’s to Westbury Tarmac two weeks ago it was 022F last Sunday it was 030V. It’s the routing that is interesting. From Exeter to Bristol then Bath down to Westbury using the Heyworth avoiding line joins the Berks and Hants line to Newbury where it reverses. It then routes back to Westbury and then to Westbury Tarmac. To me it is a bit of a strange route why does it not route Cogland junction to Westbury and why does it go to Newbury to reverse.

Any one know why.

Keith

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, KeithHC said:

I have watched a couple of freight workings that seam to happen on a Sunday. The route is Exeter st David’s to Westbury Tarmac two weeks ago it was 022F last Sunday it was 030V. It’s the routing that is interesting. From Exeter to Bristol then Bath down to Westbury using the Heyworth avoiding line joins the Berks and Hants line to Newbury where it reverses. It then routes back to Westbury and then to Westbury Tarmac. To me it is a bit of a strange route why does it not route Cogland junction to Westbury and why does it go to Newbury to reverse.

Any one know why.

Keith

Sounds very much like a consequence of engineering blockades and then going up to Heywood Road in order to turn whatever the train was conveying (because otherwise it would have been the opposite way round on arrival at Westbury).

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Steadfast said:

It's a road learning engine, been running most Sundays lately. Could well be routed that way to get two routes in together

Jo

This is what I've also been told..

Chris

• RMweb Gold

I’m guessing it’s Freightliner’s 47830 again? It was doing route learning based at Southampton Maritime the last few weeks and I know one of the guys doing the training said they were doing some around Westbury. It came through Salisbury a couple of days too. 

47830 Salisbury 2022-06-14

• Like 4

9 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

I’m guessing it’s Freightliner’s 47830 again? It was doing route learning based at Southampton Maritime the last few weeks and I know one of the guys doing the training said they were doing some around Westbury. It came through Salisbury a couple of days too. 

47830 Salisbury 2022-06-14

Every time I've seen it it's been one of the 66s off Mendip work that is stabled up the cement works over the weekend. From what I've seen, the 47 has been doing out and back trips from Southampton 

Jo

• Informative/Useful 1