Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

Hot on the heels of the great Railway Children re-make, and a mere 70 years after the cameras stopped rolling in Titfield - here at last is the truth about what happened after the film!

Did Harry get his girl?

Where did Dan end up living?

Did Pearce and Crump go to prison?

What happened to "Thunderbolt"?

Did the train keep on running from Titfield to Mallingford?

The answers to all these questions and many more are revealed in a dazzling new comedy sensation from the pen of Thomas F. Young. "Thunderbolt's Last Run".

We guarantee you will not be disappointed when you open this book and go back with Tom to the magical landscape of Titfield and the extraordinary events that took place all those years ago.....

Available very soon from Wild Swan Books and "The Titfield Thunderbolt".....

Thunderbolt's Last Run.jpg

• Like 10
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

A friend has commented on a certain lack of apostrophes  on the book's cover(!)

Asked to comment, Seth replied "when I does a job, I likes to do it proper, unless its they pesky grammer type things, waste of paint....

We didn't want to upset him any more, so have corrected "by TEB Clarke's" but left the banner just as it was all those years ago.

His woodwork remains as good as ever and it is still safe to sit down in Mr Valentine's bar.

From where I type these few notes.....

• Like 6
  • Round of applause 1

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

After extensive proof reading, wider consultation and even some market research, Tom's new book has now been passed for printing and goes into production next week.

It is illustrated with eight lovely drawings which were especially created for the book by the very talented John Wardle, which match Tom's story really well and for the first time reveal just what the "Grasshopper" looks like from outside(!) Thank you very much for all your hard work John.

It also has a rather splendid new cover:

Thunderbolts-Last-Run-Cover.jpg.a609c91e62c44d68a347c208d6e576f1.jpg

Cover image copyright of Studio Canal and used with permission.

Available shortly, the new book is priced at £11.95 and will be available direct from the Titfield Thunderbolt and all other good bookshops and retail outlets.

I am also working on "my" book about making the film, which also covers the earlier Coal Canal and Camerton Branch, and which will include many previously unpublished photographs and new information. It should follow Tom's book pretty smartly....

Simon

Edited by Not Jeremy
copyright statement added
  • Like 12

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

especially created for the book by the very talented John Wardle,

He of the pencil behind an ear, an ASBO-accredited parrot shouting down the other ear (and occasionally a white stripe down the back of his shoulder), a small book for logging his book loans to mates in and an encyclopaedic recall of everything that has happened since Noah docked his boat on the Shropshire Union. He would make an ideal character for a reboot of the Titfield franchise. 

Splendid.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Anyone wanting to identify the other locos in the photo above, might find them in pages 9 to 11 of this album, of Dad's spotting logs for the 21st & 22nd July 1952

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/gallery/album/4731-john-sutters-loco-spotting-logs-21-22-7-1952/

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

They have arrived!

1-IMG_4194.JPG.65bf7b92c7ddff3f57e46591edc3abc7.JPG

There will be ample stocks at Warley this coming weekend, but in the meantime you can order copies direct from my website right now.

I am really pleased with the way it has come out, and John's illustrations are really nice too, here is an example, Mallingford Junction box, with the infamous "Taff" looking out of the window!

If anyone wishes to share the drawing then that is fine, but please credit both the book it has come from and the artist, John Wardle.

1380574650_MallingfordJct.jpg.dc81ad6408c663f8180d34138aeb3b75.jpg

It is a really great story, ideal Christmas present for lots of folk I think....

And I think we got all the railway details right too, no running through parks this time(!)

Simon

• Like 8
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well I’m enjoying it and up to page 52 and rather pleased to see aspects of the story already aligning with my pretext for the O gauge layout 😄

4F5DA514-841D-4CBE-A6C8-F3CDFD8D5BA1.jpeg.834bc0e64ca4bd3c972a26449b927769.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I'm glad you are enjoying it so far Paul, I am feeling slightly nervous now that so many copies of the book are now out there and being read.....

A bit like waiting for the children's exam results(!)

In the meantime we are finding even more material for my new book about making the film, quite exciting in a small train sort of way.

269938660_Liontrain.jpg.70320b691c204df6b8a539827625150b.jpg

Great to have seen you at Warley, we all had a great time on the stand, even though every one of my "staff coffee runs" got waylaid and delayed by conversations and meetings(!)

Simon

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I am feeling slightly nervous now that so many copies of the book are now out there and being read.....

Impressions so far are very good 😀 Very much the style of the film and it reads like a continuation of the screenplay, exactly what I was hoping for, (with the added bonus that Thomas seems to have had the same thoughts on the future of the locos which has made me very happy 😅). 

• Like 1

Bought. Read. Enjoyed.

Pondering layout based on "20 years later" now...

Couple of points, does feel a bit like you have to know the places they're based on to really "see" it. Which isn't too difficult as it's just Bristol and Monkton Coombe. The thing at the start reaffirming the characters was very useful as the whole swap back and forth of The Squire and Gordon became a bit cross eye inducing at times.

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much Din, glad you liked it.

I think you raise an interesting point though, in that I wonder what the book reads like if the reader has no prior knowledge of the film?

There is a lot of dialogue and we worked quite hard in editing to try and make it as clear as possible. It is also interesting in that in the original film script the Squire is never referred to by his name "Gordon", and the pub is never called by its name "The Grasshopper".

Not that I'm obsessed or anything.... 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Not Jeremy said:

Thank you very much Din, glad you liked it.

I think you raise an interesting point though, in that I wonder what the book reads like if the reader has no prior knowledge of the film?

There is a lot of dialogue and we worked quite hard in editing to try and make it as clear as possible. It is also interesting in that in the original film script the Squire is never referred to by his name "Gordon", and the pub is never called by its name "The Grasshopper".

Not that I'm obsessed or anything.... 

It’s easy to follow if you have seen the film and to be honest many books rely on the setup in the first to understand the characters and setting so I don’t see that as an issue. The character expression descriptions are good though and they make you smile as you can see the actors reacting in the way of the film so it’s matching up to the ‘previous’ part of the story well. 
While someone might find fault, as they do with the film, for me it’s perfectly evoking the feel I enjoyed so much. 

After seeing Ffarquhar at the weekend I’m having mad thoughts of building Titfield and Ffarquhar in OO so I can have somewhere for the Rapido Thunderbolt to run to! 😄

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Well this book has cost me more money! A LNER teak coach to go with 1462 & 1401! It might not be the buffet from the book but it’s obviously one of the others that was on the way 😉
Now . . .

AB0D0EC6-6C10-4CE3-B0AD-A60F1CE9FF40.jpeg.f93b1d3d20362487a0b80b860a6d55dd.jpeg

Edited by PaulRhB
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Having read my (Warley purchased) copy, I'd like to add to the chorus of approval.

One question, when is the film coming out ? (what do you mean you've not sold the film rights ?)

Regarding @Not Jeremy's comment about the Grasshopper not being called by its name in the film, it is referenced just before the first departure, when the height of the bar in the coach is being compared.

Adrian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Well actually I ought to do a little review as I’ve been reading it for a couple of weeks, and unusually for me limiting myself to a chapter at a time to prolong the suspense. 

The book is well written, the characters evoking those we know from the film well along with the line. I could hear the voices so yes it felt like a good sequel and while it relies on seeing the film a fair bit it’s none the worse for that and would have been cluttered by retelling all the references.
The Titfield Thunderbolt wasn’t blockbuster edge of your seat shocks and tension and Thunderbolt’s Last Run follows seamlessly that gentle suspense and would have made a charming sequel with the cast who brought the original to life. 
Congratulations to Tom Young, if you wanted to continue the story I’d buy it, and to John Wardle for the illustrations hitting just the right note. Thanks also to Simon for publishing it and yes a thanks to Studiocanal for seeing its worthiness, nice to see a sympathetic touch in their stewardship of the original. 
If you’re near Bath and want some Christmas reading may I suggest you check when ‘The Titfield Thunderbolt’ is open and grab yourself something to read by the wood burner after Christmas dinner. 

(now I’m going to pm Simon cos I spotted summat but I ain’t going’ t’ say what and see if anyone else does) 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

Half way through my copy and thoroughly enjoying it. 

Incidently Harry's Aveling  & Porter survives in preservation. It used to attend the Fairford Rally albeit sporting a canopy the last time I saw it.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 2 months later...