Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

LED Strip Light Recommendation

• RMweb Premium

Approximately 5ft of the upper level of my O gauge layout is within 7½ inches of the underside of some wall mounted cupboard as shown below.

240722_1.jpg.5824102a93cb5198e5edd94788ec62c5.jpg

I tried fitting a LED strip to the underside of the same cupboards when I had my previous layout but the adhesive strip couldn't support the weight and, over time, the strip gradually parted company with the cupboard.

This time around I bought a couple of short (approx. 6 inches - metric conversion are available on request 😀) strips. They were a lot brighter but the adhesive on one is also quite tired (aka the strip has fallen down twice), Their light is good but nowhere near enough to illuminate the whole area. That didn't surprise me too much and I was thinking of buying some more of the same until one of the pair started to fall down.

I have recently added a plywood backboard (against the breeze block garage wall) that I intend to paint blue (at least). I could fix a strip along the top of the face of the plywood but wonder whether that too would eventually fail.

The existing LED strip is fed from a local 12v supply.

Can anyone recommend an adhesive backed 12v LED strip that, preferably, has a good staying power/adhesive backing for fixing to the underside of the cupboard or, failing that, has a strong enough adhesive that will hold the strip in place if affixed to the plywood backboard?

Many thanks.

12 minutes ago, brossard said:

What about self adhesive velcro?

John

I tried that under the wall units in the kitchen - much the same problem.  Steam in the kitchen probably doesnt help though.

I have wondered whether something like copydex over the failed self adhesive would work, but haven't tried it.

• RMweb Premium

Use a quality trade supplier like LED Hut

https://www.ledkia.com/uk/63-buy-tiras-led-12v-dc

The products are of better quality as they are for commercial use. It may be that you’ll need to add a aluminium strip to the underside of the cabinets, to help the adhesion of the strips. I used LED Hut strip on pine batten with no adhesion problems on Shelfie1. Get good commercial quality strip and you’ll have far fewer issues with any aspect of their use.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I spoke to UKled and explained what I needed for my layout, they suggested 24v LED strip (commercial quality). It has the usual multi-colour leds plus white all on one strip and I can control both colour and brightness.  I took their advice and it is perfect for my needs. I’ve no connection with UKled, just a happy customer.  I think the important bit is to talk to a commercial supplier.

• Like 1

Good glue is the answer or nails/drawing pins. Mine (Poundland*) all sag and need refixing.

* £2 at the time (this was before it became 'Twopound(ormore)land'!)

Edited by Il Grifone

• RMweb Gold

A roll of adhesive used for attaching 'chrome' detailing strips to cars will work.  It is inexpensive and available in a range of widths from eBay and elsewhere.  I have used it successfully to attach weatherproof LED strips to the underside of kitchen cabinets including areas above a kettle and above a sink.

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at the companies mentioned.

What I should have added is that the strips fell down mostly leaving their adhesive strip stuck to the underside of the cupboard 😒.

I did try keeping the strip in place with occasional cable clips. This worked but the (basically) unwanted remote control for adjusting the coloured light was next to useless and I gave up after changing the battery a couple of times despite only using the lights very occasionally.

I probably didn't help myself because the strip I bought was many feet long. I thought this would be a good idea because it could be bent/folded back on itself to increase the light level. What I failed to take into account was that the strip couldn't be turned back by 180º without the inability to use the adhesive strip during the bend. That placed a strain on the nearby stuck part of the LED strip which led to the bits nearest the bend parting company with their adhesive which further increased the strain on the next bit, and so it went on.

This time I will buy just enough for a single run or, several straight runs if I can cut the strip into lengths individually powered.

• RMweb Gold

i got some super cheap ones from Lidl which come with a small clip to hold the LED strip in place, this can be screwed in place and is very unobstrusive.  They can be wired in sequence using one power supply and have proven very useful.

Only trouble is you will have to wit for them to come back round! 

image.png.9e89c9d894801940fe3fb6493772a2b4.png

Edited by sjp23480
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Ray H said:

Thanks for the responses. I'll take a look at the companies mentioned.

What I should have added is that the strips fell down mostly leaving their adhesive strip stuck to the underside of the cupboard 😒.

I did try keeping the strip in place with occasional cable clips. This worked but the (basically) unwanted remote control for adjusting the coloured light was next to useless and I gave up after changing the battery a couple of times despite only using the lights very occasionally.

I probably didn't help myself because the strip I bought was many feet long. I thought this would be a good idea because it could be bent/folded back on itself to increase the light level. What I failed to take into account was that the strip couldn't be turned back by 180º without the inability to use the adhesive strip during the bend. That placed a strain on the nearby stuck part of the LED strip which led to the bits nearest the bend parting company with their adhesive which further increased the strain on the next bit, and so it went on.

This time I will buy just enough for a single run or, several straight runs if I can cut the strip into lengths individually powered.

It's easiest to go round corners with "jumper cables", which you can either solder on yourself or you can buy ready-made with sockets that you just push the end of the tape into. Keeps the actual tape flat and straight but all connected together electrically and back to the one controller.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Thanks 1

On 25/07/2022 at 14:27, teaky said:

The adhesive tape I mentioned will solve your problem because you can fix lengths of it to whichever part of the LED strip needs it.

Here's an example but shop around and you might find it cheaper.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/154564839577?var=454643185197&hash=item23fcc84899:g:WsAAAOSwy2lhTOGm

I was given some of this.

It's wicked stuff. Sticks like the proverbial and a bu..er to get off.

Dave.

• Thanks 1