Sonic Models N gauge locomotive GWR Large Prairie (5101 & 61XX)

Paul.Uni

• RMweb Gold

There is with Farish models; it is difficult/impossible to fit any other brand of coupling in their NEM box. Likewise, Farish couplings are too loose to fit in any other manufacturer’s NEM box. While Sonic isn't Farish, it's owner is an ex-Kader engineer, so I'm wondering what "standards" he works to in this respect.

This matters to me because if I do purchase such a model I would want to run it with Dapol B-sets and br able to uncouple from them. This would be extremely difficult with standard N-gauge couplings as those on the B-sets can't be lifted high enough to uncouple correctly.

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

There is with Farish models; it is difficult/impossible to fit any other brand of coupling in their NEM box.

I've fitted Dapol Easi-shunts into plenty of Farish diesels, esp Classes 60 and 66.  Occasionally a tiny bit of fettling is needed, but nothing too onerous.

Anyway, Sam (Mr Sonic) left Kader some time ago, and his NEM pockets are produced from his own tooling.  The simplest way to answer your question would be for someone to try and fit Dapol Easi-shunts into a Sonic 56xx or forthcoming J50, and then post on the level of compatibility.

cheers

Ben A.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Crepello replying to Nimbus! 

No need to worry about the Prairie--my 56xx has 2 x Easi-shunts (short)--no problem fitting.

I've managed to fit all my coaches with Dapol buckeyes or Easi-shunts, but I've had to cut off either one or both 'horizontal pins' from the coupling shank, including on the recent newspapers BG.  Locos and wagons seem to be no problem.

HTH

Parp, vroom!

Edited by Crepello
Clarification
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TomE said:

Livery samples now received for the Large Prairie, which can be seen here

Delivery now expected Q2 2024.

Tom. 

Don't know if it is the photos but the majority of the BR versions seem to have bunker side numbers at a slant. Hopefully this is one of the corrections being made.