N7 issue with stalling

Steve51769

I recently acquired a secondhand Oxford N7 - it's a beautiful looking model and runs very nicely 99% of the time, just occassionally it stalls and refuse to restart - either a quick tap on the top or removing the body and turning the flywheel gets it moving again. It's like there's a position on the motor armature where there is no electrical connectivity. Has anyone else had this issue? Is there an easy fix? Does the motor have to be replaced? If so where can I get one from? 

Any help greatly appreciated...

Steve 

• RMweb Gold

I had a very similar problem with a DCC-fitted Bachmann 4MT 2-6-0. I use automation on my layout and when this problem occurred, I could see the block in which it was standing was still flagged as occupied even though I could not get the loco to move. Furthermore I was able to use DCC Programming-on-Main to change CVs successfully which therefore proved it was not a pickup issue. A motor replacement fixed the problem.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

A follow up to my earlier posting re. Stalling Oxford Rail N7. Thanks to the advice from PJR I purchased a new motor from Tramfabriek and have fitted it. It has the advantage over the original in that it has an additional flywheel. It now runs beautifully and very controllably. Job done.

• Like 5

On 13/10/2022 at 17:55, Steve51769 said:

A follow up to my earlier posting re. Stalling Oxford Rail N7. Thanks to the advice from PJR I purchased a new motor from Tramfabriek and have fitted it. It has the advantage over the original in that it has an additional flywheel. It now runs beautifully and very controllably. Job done.

I have a very similar problem with mine, could I ask what model of motor you ordered?

• 4 weeks later...

Stratford 47 only just seen your reply . I purchased 1020D Coreless motor 12V with 7/10 mm adapters (2) + flywheel. It was a 15 minute job to swap it out. Only issue was the new motor needs a couple of winds of insulating tape around it to bulk it out to fit the frame otherwise it it too loose and slides backwards and forwards. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 30/09/2023 at 09:20, Jonjon66 said:

Hi Steve/Boleyn. Have got a similar issue, so thinking about ordering said motor. Did you have to swap out the worm gear, or just use the existing setup including flywheel with universal joint attachment to the new motor install? Thanks, jon

Hi Jon

Sorry only just seen this reply - as far as I can remember you do need to swap the worm gear. I purchased a worm puller to do this but it wasn't needed. It came off easily with a pair of pliers on the shaft to push it along. The new motor is well worth the investment, mine now runs perfectly. Cheers Steve