Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Porth Eithin

trains12

Hi All

I being to wunder if people dont like the layout? I dont seam to be getting any comments on it should I be doing something more on the the layout that will make it more intresting? Please let us know as it gets a bit lonely here in Wet Wales.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Peter.

It certainly isn't your fault. I for one think it is a cracking layout and I enjoy each update that you post.

I didn't want to keep on posting because I wanted to let someone else have a go. It seems they just need a little encouragement!

The standard of your modelling is great - the new extension blends in perfectly to the original boards and the scratchbuilt boat looks fantastic - how long has it taken you to build so far?

People seem to quite like shots of the layout with rolling stock on - for example, in your last picture perhaps you could have an engine poking out of the shed?

Don't give up!

Jam

• Like 1

Hi Peter.

It certainly isn't your fault. I for one think it is a cracking layout and I enjoy each update that you post.

I didn't want to keep on posting because I wanted to let someone else have a go. It seems they just need a little encouragement!

The standard of your modelling is great - the new extension blends in perfectly to the original boards and the scratchbuilt boat looks fantastic - how long has it taken you to build so far?

People seem to quite like shots of the layout with rolling stock on - for example, in your last picture perhaps you could have an engine poking out of the shed?

Don't give up!

Jam

Thanks Jam

Just feeling a bit down at present I guess.

The main layout with all the buildings except the Mill and the Station ( An old Hornby Model of another layout) took from Easter in April till the beging of The August ready for a show on the 4th. in 2002 in all 3 1/2 months the Mill took a further 6 weeks ready for the Wigan show of that Year.

The extension board was made four years ago but was only put to use about a month ago. The boat was started last year for another venture but was not used so I have made it into a fishing vessel this year.

Yes I must take some shots of the railway with the stock on it. Don't know why but I seem not to take shots with the stock on only shots of me building things.

Cheers

Peter

• Like 1

I'm certainly enjoying this thread - particularly the boats and structures. I tend to refrain from making posts saying, "Great work. Will follow with interest etc" as I find them tedious to wade through when I'm following a thread and I don't want to add to them. Having said that, of course, they are extremely valuable from the point of view of encouragement and motivation........vitally important to the builder.

"Great work. I shall follow this one with interest" wink.gif

• Like 1

I'm certainly enjoying this thread - particularly the boats and structures. I tend to refrain from making posts saying, "Great work. Will follow with interest etc" as I find them tedious to wade through when I'm following a thread and I don't want to add to them. Having said that, of course, they are extremely valuable from the point of view of encouragement and motivation........vitally important to the builder.

"Great work. I shall follow this one with interest" wink.gif

Hi ChrisB

Nice to know that people are still taking an interest in the layout. many thanks for your comments.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi All

I being to wunder if people dont like the layout? I dont seam to be getting any comments on it should I be doing something more on the the layout that will make it more intresting? Please let us know as it gets a bit lonely here in Wet Wales.

Peter

Hi Peter

man of a few words, I'm in awe. Although I've yet to start, I find this thread fascinating, and wish and hope that I could get to half your level. Keep us all updated with pictures and your technical information

Regards

• Like 1

I am also following the thread... as above dont normally post to that effect but rest assured your work is admired and dare I say "envy" creeps in too.. Wish I had the time / skills to emulate your scenics.

Keep it up biggrin.gif

• Like 1

Hi Peter, wouldn't worry to much.

Most of the threads seem to get thousands of views with hardly any comments at all.

Not everyone wants to comment (some cant be bothered which makes you wonder why the are here!).

Have a look at Roath by Pixie, thousands and thousands of views (over 11,000!!!), only a handful of comments! (Just over 100!!).

Such is the world wide web!rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Not too much has been done over the last two weeks due to a sudden holiday up in Scotland. Made the most of the time up there photographing some railways and exploring the area. Dined on The Royal Yacht Britannia and saw the Royal Tattoo.

Attached are a few shots taken just before we went away showing some of the stock on the layout when the group of artists came down to see the layout and the club. That was an enjoyable time and not only did myself and the other members learn some tips on the art side but they also had an insight into how models were created.

Anyway work is still going on today on the refurbishment of the layout ready for Rail Alive in September.

Peter

post-6915-128264522396.jpg

post-6915-128264523086.jpg

post-6915-128264523721.jpg

post-6915-128264524342.jpg

post-6915-12826452482.jpg

• Like 1

Hi Peter, wouldn't worry to much.

Most of the threads seem to get thousands of views with hardly any comments at all.

Not everyone wants to comment (some cant be bothered which makes you wonder why the are here!).

Have a look at Roath by Pixie, thousands and thousands of views (over 11,000!!!), only a handful of comments! (Just over 100!!).

Such is the world wide web!rolleyes.gif

Hi Black Rat

Thanks for the comments. I just like to know that what I am doing is acceptable to the members and is not a load of rubbish.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Black Rat

Thanks for the comments. I just like to know that what I am doing is acceptable to the members and is not a load of rubbish.

Peter

Peter, It's one of the great layouts in my view! Keep up the good work!

Best, Pete (the other one)

• Like 1

Hi all

I have been doing some sketches of the new 12ft extension to Porth Eithin. This is going to be the drying sheds end of the layout. My first designs for this were done about 3years ago and when looking at them are very similar to Wheal Elizabeth in looks, so if it ends up similar I must apologies now for that as I was looking at the layout and buildings of Great Wheal Prosper on the Carbis Wharf branch.

What I do not know to do is whether to start a new topic or keep the construction of the second stage of the layout in this one. I don’t want to fall foul of the moderators. The new extension will have the name Wheal Isaf Torr.

The idea is that if the whole layout goes out as one it will have one common Fiddle yard on Porth Eithin and will be 29ft long. If Wheal Isaf Torr goes out it will use a common fiddle yard that I have and will be 16ft long. Timber is in store ready to start along with Glen Gillie baseboards in a few weeks time.

Peter

• Like 1

Peter

I have just 'found' your thread and I have to say that the layout is absolutely beautiful! I shall continue to watch with enthusiasm as I am most impressed by the balance of attention to detail with overall 'effect' - you make it look so simple :)

Keep the photo's coming please...

• Like 1

Peter

I have just 'found' your thread and I have to say that the layout is absolutely beautiful! I shall continue to watch with enthusiasm as I am most impressed by the balance of attention to detail with overall 'effect' - you make it look so simple :)

Keep the photo's coming please...

Hi Steve

Many thanks for the comments, Have looked at your thread and that is going to be impressive as well.:)

Peter

• Like 1

Hi all

Just a couple of shots taken today. I am in the process of making a bridge to fill in the gap between the mill and the road behind the engine shed. Will keep you posted of the work.

Peter

post-6915-128318139565.jpg

post-6915-128318140287.jpg

post-6915-128318140895.jpg

• Like 2

Hi all

Well in the last two days with the help of Jamie a lot of work has been done on the cutting of timber for the new baseboards for the extension to Porth Eithin Wheal Isaf Torr. Jamie has been taking photographs of the progress and no doubt he will post a few shots on here. On the main portion of the layout work is progressing on the new low relief bridge which I have yet to take some shots of but will in the next few days.

Most of the refurbishment work has now been completed with just a few more little dioramas to be completed. The timber for the back scene has been obtained and will be cut hopefully tomorrow ready for painting initially a blue sky on but it is intended to try and paste a photographic scene on one but I have not as yet found a suitable Cornish looking scene yet, so it will not be done for Model Rail Live in three weeks time.

Will keep you all updated on the going ones.:D

One last thing. Do any of you at there feel that the new extension should be on a new topic or keep it still within this one. Please let me know one way or another.

Peter

• Like 1

Hi Peter

Great Photos of the Layout, love the last photo... the exstension to it or the new part of the layout, like the way I you have put the sign of the Porth Eithin Sign next to the gates, as you enter the yard...? Was that acheived using sticky labels or are that part of an Alphabetic Kit...that are to 'OO' gauge size...?

Cheers

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Loved this layout since I first saw it it Model Rail.

I've been following your threads here and I think you should document the extension in this thread. It will help keep it in context and make it easier to follow the overall picture.

Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing moresmile.gif

• Like 1

Hi all

One last thing. Do any of you at there feel that the new extension should be on a new topic or keep it still within this one. Please let me know one way or another.

Peter

Peter, what do you mean by "new topic"? New industry? Edit: Hang on - you mean a new thread within this site right? Yes, why not? this is getting rather long....

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

Hi all

Well it has been a hive of activity down at the unit again today and the results can bee seen in the following shots. The view shows base boards that are being made for five layouts. Glen Gillie, the extension to Porth Eithin called Wheat Isaf Torr, Jamie’s two layouts, and for a fellow RM web member down in South Wales.

Also attached are the first shots of the half relief over bridge for the road to the corn mill. This is made from a section of foam board with some stiffening of balsa wood behind it. It has had the first section of plastic embossed card place on it by means of double side tape. The next step is to build up the end buttresses and make the keystones under the arch.

Peter

post-6915-128363124965.jpg

post-6915-128363125984.jpg

post-6915-128363126955.jpg

post-6915-12836312798.jpg

post-6915-128363129139.jpg

post-6915-128363130143.jpg

• Like 1

Hi All

Peter

Hey Peter I don't like the layout! Wait for it I absolutely love it!!!!!

It has long been one of my favourites and you are obviously a talented and skillful modeller (creep creep)... Anyway just keep the updates coming please and if you fancy helping a less talented modeller in North Wales let me know!

Best Wishes Andrew

• Like 1

Hi all

Here are some shots of the work in progress on the over bridge that is being made for the layout. As stated previously the main part is foam board with Slater’s embossed plastikard held on by double sided tape. The full round brick arches are Ratio and the main arch key stones are from an old Faller kit. The cornices are made from Plastruct section built up in a long length and then cut to the required size and glued on with plastic weld.

There is still an amount of to work to do to complete the bridge but it is hoped that it will be done by the weekend. Will keep you updated on it.:D

Peter

post-6915-128384840944.jpg

post-6915-128384842007.jpg

post-6915-128384842987.jpg

post-6915-128384843821.jpg

post-6915-128384844561.jpg

post-6915-128384845423.jpg

post-6915-128384846402.jpg

post-6915-128384847431.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Peter

I'll add a comment to prove I've been here - I'm trying to view a lot of the layouts now, and I have commented on your distillery offering already - sorry I've not been to this thread before, but RM Web has become a very big website with a vast range of layouts, and as much as anything, lack of time has meant I can't get everywhere.

I have seen this in the monthlies before and was well impressed then - to be able to sit in on a masterclass on how it was built and extended is a privilege indeed. I really admire what you've done here, and, well, all the superlatives have already been used up by previous posters.

Regards

Stewart

• Like 1