Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Small Layout Design Handbook

Not Jeremy

• RMweb Gold

As others have said, an excellent and thought-provoking book.

My only disagreement is the perceived amount of domestic acceptance of a layout as part of the main house decoration - for some of us, it just ain't going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

10 hours ago, Stubby47 said:

My only disagreement is the perceived amount of domestic acceptance of a layout as part of the main house decoration - for some of us, it just ain't going to happen.

I guess my point is if we don’t re-frame our thoughts around layouts as part of the home, then many of us will continue to suffer from being relegated to the shed, loft, garage etc etc. If a layout is carefully crafted with its location  firmly in mind then I’d suggest you perhaps should consider a softer option… perhaps not the lounge, but if there is a shared spaced that might work, is it not worth considering? Surely main house decoration is as much of us, as it should be our partners and children? Anyhow, as you say, deliberately idealistic and hopefully a little thought provoking. I’m glad you, and others are enjoying it, a dream come true for me.

• Like 8
  • Agree 2

Ordered from The Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop and arrived the following day in the usual bomb-proof packaging and complete with a personalised thank you card from Simon which is something you don't get with Amazon!

I like the content of the book.  It is worth noting that of the 24 plans, 14 have 0-2 turnouts, so if really small layouts are not your thing, the book may not be for you.  My favourite plan is 'The Interchange', based on Wapping Wharf in Bristol which I remember in the Western Fuels era.  

A few small issues detract from the reading experience for me.  Firstly, I do not find the san-serif font used for the body text very easy on the eye.  Secondly, it would have benefitted from a visit by the Apostrophe Police - there are several instances of "it's" where "its" would be correct.  Finally, I feel that the hand-written text on the otherwise excellent plans would have been improved by using an implement with a finer tip.

As an aside, with this book I also ordered the GWR Goods Services three volume special offer and can highly recommend this - a feast of classic old-school Wild Swan for £30, while stocks last.

Nick

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Nick, thank you for your order and I am glad that you like the book.

Thank you also for your considered comments.

Font wise, that is an interesting thought and one that we will consider for future publications in this format. Looking at the text again and being a bit brutal, we also have a lot of quite long paragraphs, which feature doesn't help readability.

The apostrophe police, what can I say, I thought we'd got all the blighters but obviously not!  It must be those young APSOs that get put on to the job, they just need more experience....(Apostrophe Police Support Officers)

Hand written text, both James and I completely agree, we will be doing exactly as you say in any future work. In our defence this book was largely worked up from existing artwork on James' Blog (I hope you appreciated that apostrophe) and re-doing everything would have added significantly to the work involved and time taken, whilst we were both keen to get the book out and   see how it went.

It is going very well indeed and we are both feeling suitably encouraged, James has other good ideas and thoughts that I hope we can build a new book or books around in the future.

Personally, I like the landscape format a lot, which came as something of a shock as I am a bit of a traditionalist on the book format front. Hopefully not a dinosaur, well not quite yet at least....

Thank you again for your thoughts, and to everyone else for all of their responses too.

Simon

• Like 6

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 17/08/2022 at 11:07, Wuggie Norple said:

Ordered from The Titfield Thunderbolt bookshop and arrived the following day in the usual bomb-proof packaging and complete with a personalised thank you card from Simon which is something you don't get with Amazon!

I like the content of the book.  It is worth noting that of the 24 plans, 14 have 0-2 turnouts, so if really small layouts are not your thing, the book may not be for you.  My favourite plan is 'The Interchange', based on Wapping Wharf in Bristol which I remember in the Western Fuels era.  

A few small issues detract from the reading experience for me.  Firstly, I do not find the san-serif font used for the body text very easy on the eye.  Secondly, it would have benefitted from a visit by the Apostrophe Police - there are several instances of "it's" where "its" would be correct.  Finally, I feel that the hand-written text on the otherwise excellent plans would have been improved by using an implement with a finer tip.

As an aside, with this book I also ordered the GWR Goods Services three volume special offer and can highly recommend this - a feast of classic old-school Wild Swan for £30, while stocks last.

Nick

Like others, I ordered this book based on this thread and I've not been disappointed.

The book arrived very well packed from The Titfield Thunderbolt shop.  I like the style of the book as it's not so much a series of plans but manages to be both  a philosophical consideration of layout planning and a practical help.  It certainly  gave me some new ideas for my next layout.  I liked that the contents included several North American examples as that brings a wider range of prototypes and ways of doing things.  My only criticism would be the small, thick, hand written text, That was hard to read and I needed a magnifier for some of it.  

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I like the inclusion of US & Canadian ideas including shortlines, though two based on the unique Concord & Claremont may be a slight overexposure, hundreds of others being available! Also the designs can stretch to O scale, or probably shrink to TT-120.

Overall, it’s a useful exercise in design thinking for small layouts. 
Cue for a shortline ‘design & play’ photo, experimenting with shunting clearances, from Coxheath Sidings below.

Dava

image.jpeg.3bbe816b5677e6c62131414ce379bd7a.jpeg

• Like 5

Ordered my copy from Booklaw. Free postage too!

Lots of inspiration for styles an presentation. Certainly applicable for any scale and/or gauge. The plans aren’t there to be followed slavishly but to spark ideas.

steve

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

This weekend Wild Swan Books is attending Guildex at Stafford and will have plenty of copies of James' new book for sale.

I look forward to seeing O Gaugers reaction to it, as I think that although the book as written generally features 4mm scale modelling, it has a lot to offer the larger scale modeller.

Including Gauge 1 - it has certainly given me a few new ideas for what I am going to build here!

IMG_3462.jpg.6c4e18da994bc97ed110916141c08937.jpg

Have a great weekend whatever you do!

Simon

• Like 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Thank you very much David, glad you like the book.

James' Small Layout Design Handbook did prove popular at Guildex and sparked a lot of conversations and thoughts.

Back here yesterday saw the last appearance of "Pomparles  Siding", now chopped up with the pointwork given away and the girder bridges and wagon turntables retained for a few ideas arising from James new book....

IMG_3696.jpg.873bc935d94b923ba0faea14859ebb7f.jpg

Originally built in response to RMweb's first layout building challenge many years ago....

• Like 6
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was especially taken with the plan of Wick. It occurred to me that you could do exactly the same with the other end of the line at Inverness, depicting platforms 4,5 and 6. The platform 4 line would be at the back glimpsed through the arches which form internal support of the overall roof. Platform 4 is a southbound platform, 5 and 6 are Far North platforms.

• RMweb Gold

I have just been on the phone to James reporting the success of his book, together with lots of positive comments received, and am pleased to report that future collaborations between us are definitely under very active consideration.

Personally, the book has got me digging out my re-liveried HO Bachmann Southern 44 tonner (purchased aeons ago) - maybe the Moriarty and Lumberton RR will hit the high iron after all....

44tonner.jpg.51a9d24c2a3f9709bec9f15e838a54b9.jpg

This fantastic image is taken from a great website the diesel shop the photograph is by Bill Folsom.

Simon

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

15 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

I have just been on the phone to James reporting the success of his book, together with lots of positive comments received, and am pleased to report that future collaborations between us are definitely under very active consideration.

Personally, the book has got me digging out my re-liveried HO Bachmann Southern 44 tonner (purchased aeons ago) - maybe the Moriarty and Lumberton RR will hit the high iron after all....

44tonner.jpg.51a9d24c2a3f9709bec9f15e838a54b9.jpg

This fantastic image is taken from a great website the diesel shop the photograph is by Bill Folsom.

Simon

Funny you should mention that Simon, it got me hauling out my TH&B SW9 and CPR S3 with thoughts of a small interchange. More stuff for the “eventually” list…

I also thought that “Renfrew Wharf” did a lovely job of capturing Clydeside atmosphere. A good book all around, thank you for your part in producing it.

Cheers,

David

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Oh dear, I can't quite find my 44 tonner, but I have found the cut down Harriman combine which gives you an idea of the livery of the MLR, very similar to the livery that Avon County vehicles used to be painted in C.U.B.A.

Here is a cruelly large image of the beastie...

IMG_3769.jpg.fd9e9b6610a3cdd1feebdeec133b8497.jpg

Can't beat a distraction, or two, or three, or four...

Simon

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Not Jeremy said:

Oh dear, I can't quite find my 44 tonner, but I have found the cut down Harriman combine which gives you an idea of the livery of the MLR, very similar to the livery that Avon County vehicles used to be painted in C.U.B.A.

Here is a cruelly large image of the beastie...

IMG_3769.jpg.fd9e9b6610a3cdd1feebdeec133b8497.jpg

Can't beat a distraction, or two, or three, or four...

Simon

And I for one am easily distracted....

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 27/08/2022 at 09:25, Dava said:

I like the inclusion of US & Canadian ideas including shortlines, though two based on the unique Concord & Claremont may be a slight overexposure, hundreds of others being available! Also the designs can stretch to O scale, or probably shrink to TT-120.

Overall, it’s a useful exercise in design thinking for small layouts. 
Cue for a shortline ‘design & play’ photo, experimenting with shunting clearances, from Coxheath Sidings below.

Dava

image.jpeg.3bbe816b5677e6c62131414ce379bd7a.jpeg

I really like the look of that layout- what make is the tank loco?  Is it a kitbuild?

• RMweb Premium
On 19/09/2022 at 20:32, Ben B said:

I really like the look of that layout- what make is the tank loco?  Is it a kitbuild?

Thanks Ben,

Its a Sunset Models B&O C16 Docksider, from Sunset Models and imported from a US dealer, to keep myC16a tender loco company, both are Korean brass from the 1970/80s era and never run. Will be used on my US shortline project. Massive indulgence but they cost less than Heljan BR diesels even with import costs. Picture below. 

B71BA35D-68C0-4B97-9852-2808E4A37460.jpeg.7a170a74b13ba3b0452e1c3c27e37a6e.jpeg

There is one on EBay in UK, listed for months but with some damage, I passed on it as my import was a much better deal. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/333831656685?var=0&mkevt=1&mkcid=1&mkrid=710-53481-19255-0&campid=5338749367&toolid=20006&customid=GB_1_333831656685.134995055457~1778282992232-g_CjwKCAjwyaWZBhBGEiwACslQo-mX2Z2PudFMTNkX9o1tkEZVycDscFb3hN9WfiDKrv6723AAA_n2ZBoCGj0QAvD_BwE

Dava

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I really enjoyed this book, and more to the point, was suffiently inspired to the point of cutting wood for baseboards on a couple of small layout ideas I've been carrying around for a while. 

I hope to carry these through to full builds. 

Thanks for the inspiration! 

Edited by Argos
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
On 29/09/2022 at 17:09, Argos said:

I really enjoyed this book, and more to the point, was suffiently inspired to the point of cutting wood for baseboards on a couple of small layout ideas I've been carrying around for a while. 

I hope to carry these through to full builds. 

Thanks for the inspiration! 

Excellent, in 2mm I hope!

Jerry

• Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
9 hours ago, queensquare said:

Excellent, in 2mm I hope!

Jerry

Probably too floppy in 2mm. 6mm is better. Better rigidity. 

Just saying..........

Guest Jack Benson

Not sure how to voice my dissent but I found the book rather underwhelming, OK for micro layouts but short on original thought. The obvious comparison is Iain Rice’s prolific output as a champion for small layouts and there lies its weakness. Other issues were the typeface or maybe it is my failing eyesight? 

Suffice to add that my copy now graces someone else’s bookshelf. 

StaySafe

4 hours ago, Jack Benson said:

Not sure how to voice my dissent but I found the book rather underwhelming, OK for micro layouts but short on original thought. The obvious comparison is Iain Rice’s prolific output as a champion for small layouts and there lies its weakness. Other issues were the typeface or maybe it is my failing eyesight? 

Suffice to add that my copy now graces someone else’s bookshelf. 

StaySafe

I can see where you are coming from and the Rice comparison is valid. However, most of his publications are of their time and modelling has moved on a lot. 

This book isn’t perfect but it does offer a lot of more contemporary ideas.

steve

• Agree 2