Unusual locos on the GW&GC through High Wycombe in the period 1958-62

Tallpaul69

Hi All,

I am looking for details of unusual steam, early diesel and gas turbine locos working on trains or LE through High Wycombe in the period 1958 to 1962.

I know that LMR and ER Steam Locos frequently powered Football, Hockey etc. specials to Wembley along this line, but really I am looking for visits by more unusual locos such as the early LMR and SR diesels or ER diesels other than the class 20s from sheds such as Stratford.

Many thanks for any info,

Best regards

Paul

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

There is at least one example of an EE Type 4 working an excursion over the Wycombe Branch - June 1959.

That was D201 on a Northern Rubber Company special on 6-6-59, the first main line diesel recorded on the Wycombe - Maidenhead branch.  D334 was recorded passing High Wycombe around 1964, working unidentified.

• Like 2

Thanks for the information guys.

I think Lion counts as unusual as it was not BR Capital Stock. 

I had not got info that Kestral strayed off the GW Main Line, so that is a good one.

I had thoght that diesels such as EE type 4s on excursions were a later feature, so that is interesting. 

I was aware of the LT stock movements, the trouble being that I only have loop length to run 5-6 cars on a train, which is not too prototypical for new stock. I thought about runs to scrap of old LT stock, but there doesn't appear to be anything suitable in RTR or kits?

Further info and thoughts welcome!

Cheers

Paul

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Mike_Walker said:

D334 was recorded passing High Wycombe around 1964, working unidentified.

Possibly as a result of the Euston rebuilding when some trains were diverted off the WCML at Bletchley. I was fortunate enough to travel on an Heysham to London (Marylebone) Train that called at Bletchley. The strange thing was, there was no return working via this route. 

Edited by Pannier Tank
added London Terminous
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, David Bigcheeseplant said:

Kestrel worked to Princes Risborough

Hi David,

I thought Kestrel only ran on the National Network for three years from 1968?

Or did it do test runs including the one to Princes Risborough before that?

My end date in the 60s for the layout is 1962.

In my eearlier reply, i confused Kestrel and Falcon|!

Cheers

Paul

3 hours ago, Pannier Tank said:

Possibly as a result of the Euston rebuilding when some trains were diverted off the WCML at Bletchley. I was fortunate enough to travel on an Heysham to London (Marylebone) Train that called at Bletchley. The strange thing was, there was no return working via this route. 

I travelled on the 11.30 pm Manchester Piccadilly to London Marylebone train on Sunday 20 December 1964 (on a half-day excursion, outward London St.Pancras to Manchester Central, to visit the MMRS Christmas Show at the Corn Exchange) and, after a loco change at Bletchley, that was routed via High Wycombe. I don't remember the loco but something akin to D334 is likely.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Page about D0260 Lion at derbysulzers.com

Mentions an appearance on test train at High Wycombe on 2nd Feb. 1962 and test running between B'ham & Shrewsbury - presumably in works livery as it was noted 'complete and painted in its white livery' at Smethwick Works yard in April 1962.

Page then lists the more regular appearances and test/running-in turns etc. from 1962 until 9th September 1963, when it was transferred to the ER.

• Informative/Useful 1

5 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Hi David,

I thought Kestrel only ran on the National Network for three years from 1968?

Or did it do test runs including the one to Princes Risborough before that?

My end date in the 60s for the layout is 1962.

In my eearlier reply, i confused Kestrel and Falcon|!

Cheers

Paul

Not sure of the exact dates but it certainly appeared at Marylebone on some sort of test train and was possibly exhibited there when new. According to my spotting notes it appeared with monotonous regularity at various BR depot and works open days in the late 60s/early 70s, but it was also allocated to Shirebrook where along with class 47s, it worked coal trains for a period and a photo appeared in one of the railway journals at this time, and shockingly, in comparison to when it appeared at open days, it was as filthy as the rest of the freight fleet at Shirebrook (and anywhere else in the country!!)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Kestral made a press demonstration run from Marylebone to Princes Risborough and return on 29 January 1968 running as 1Z18 throughout.  I've not seen evidence of any other runs on the line apart from it obviously getting to and from Marylebone for this trip.

With BRB HQ (aka The Kremlin) being located at Marylebone it was common practice for new types to be brought to the station for inspection by The Brass and many, if not most, of those would have worked over the GW/GC Joint to get there.

I was recently chatting with some members of the High Wycombe MRC who are in the early stages of building a model of West Wycombe station.  As part of their research they showed me the impressive list of loco and mu types which they've discovered worked over the line.  It might be worth you contacting them.

• Like 2

Further research suggest that Kestral was not constructed until 1967, so is outside my 1958-62 timeframe, and that Falcon, finished in 1961(?)was out of action for most of 1962, and did not stray from the GW Main line , except for a test run up the Lickey Incline.

So Lion, with its trips around April/May 1962 between Paddington and Wolverhampton including two daily round trips, seems the best of the 1960s prototype diesels for my layout. 

I am still interested in info on any of the earlier prototype diesels use on the line although their 1959 allocation to Camden etc. suggests they were mainly working out of Euston.

Thanks for the input to date,

Cheers'

Paul 

• RMweb Premium

I have several shots of Lion working the line in 1962, specifically May and July, but have yet to come across any of Falcon on the route.

One day in 1963-5 on the bus going home from school I did spot 10001 crossing Micklefield Road approaching High Wycombe on a Down freight but never saw it on any other occasion.  Back then (1963-65) my school backed onto HW station and lunch times we would watch the traffic passing which included the immaculate newly delivered Westerns in their various colours - you need one of each at least!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Mike_Walker said:

I have several shots of Lion working the line in 1962, specifically May and July, but have yet to come across any of Falcon on the route.

One day in 1963-5 on the bus going home from school I did spot 10001 crossing Micklefield Road approaching High Wycombe on a Down freight but never saw it on any other occasion.  Back then (1963-65) my school backed onto HW station and lunch times we would watch the traffic passing which included the immaculate newly delivered Westerns in their various colours - you need one of each at least!

Mike, I already have Westerns, and all the other common diesels and steamers of the period! That is why i am on the look out for the observations of less common motive power.

I would like to justify a D84xx, just for their different shape, but meanwhile 10001 on a freight sounds just the ticket.

Thanks for that,

Paul 

• RMweb Premium

Can't offer a D84xx but a good friend of mine was on Bourne End station one day when a pair of D82xx (BTH Type 1s) came off the Marlow branch and headed for High Wycombe with the empty timber train returning to Bow Creek.  They would have run round at High Wycombe.  No camera of course and it is thought to be unique, these trains were normally a Stratford Brush Type 2 job.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I can send you a copy of the list we have of potential locomotives for the West Wycombe project, but the time frame is 1955 to 1966 and includes all that have been seen, so far, in this time period.

There are a couple of enties that could be of interest, these are the delivery of Class 33 and 73xx locomotives to the Southern. In the case of the later it is noted that they were steam hauled.

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony,

It would be great if you could PM me your list.

My 00 layout covers a number of times in the last 60 years namely, 1962, 1992, 2007 and 2019 (which latter might in the fullness of time move to 2022/3)!

It gives a fictitious station to Bradenham, a village between West Wycombe and Saunderton.

If you are interested in more detail on what I am up to, please look at my thread "Lower Thames Yard"!

I would also appreciate details of any thread for the "West Wycombe " project? 

Cheers

Paul

D1 Scafell Pike was inspected at Marylebone in April 1959, and of course a number of locomotives were displayed at Marylebone in 1961 for the Golden Jubilee of the Institution of Locomotive Engineers.

Peak,Deltic, Class 33 amongst others on display.

• Like 2

A relatively low-importance one-off steam example.

In my collection - though can't find it right now - is a print of City of Truro on a special train, which I believe is traversing the Greenford Loop.  Six Bells Junction suggests this was the Stephenson Locomotive Society (Midland Area) 'City of Truro' Swindon Works Tour train on 4 September, 1960.  The outbound route from Birmingham Snow Hill passed through High Wycombe to reach Greenford then returned via Reading to Swindon.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Not exactly High Wycombe, but at Beaconsfield, so would have passed through there. 10001 and Brake Tender. Not sure if the link is working to Flickr ?

April 65 Beaconsfield Stn 10001 | jon L1049H | Flickr

Edited by anroar53
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 minutes ago, anroar53 said:

Not exactly High Wycombe, but at Beaconsfield, so would have passed through there. 10001 and Brake Tender. Not sure if the link is working to Flickr ?

April 65 Beaconsfield Stn 10001 | jon L1049H | Flickr

That might well be the occasion I spotted it on my way home from school - the date fits.

• Like 2