Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Baseboard Alignment Dowels

JohnR

• RMweb Gold

Specifically, ones which can be used to transfer power.

I have started to erect my Tim Horn baseboards for my next layout, and liking the idea of the DCC Concepts alignment dowels that also act to transfer power from one board to another purchased a set. However, they dont seem to be designed to fit the "standard"  holes Tim has created for dowels. 

Any suggestions? 

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, ITG said:

Is there not any instruction as to what size hole to drill?

There are already holes for dowels in the baseboard. The DCC Concepts dowels dont fit. 

I'm just wondering if there are any that would which can also carry power, as the DCC Concepts ones do...

• RMweb Gold

But could you not drill additional holes in a suitable position? Whilst I don’t have Tim Horn boards, the similar ones I use also came with predrilled holes, but I added extra ones for bolts for added rigidity.

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, JohnR said:

There are already holes for dowels in the baseboard. The DCC Concepts dowels dont fit. 

I'm just wondering if there are any that would which can also carry power, as the DCC Concepts ones do...

I think DCC concepts are 19mm and the "standard" dowels provided for in TH and G&H boards are 25mm....not sure why DCC C have gone for something different  TBH - the 25mm ones seem pretty ubiquitous

FD2501-1-off.jpg

unless you go for the the 8mm brass dowels

FD1000-10mm-Steel-Dowel-1off-2.jpg

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Gilbert said:

I think DCC concepts are 19mm and the "standard" dowels provided for in TH and G&H boards are 25mm....not sure why DCC C have gone for something different  TBH - the 25mm ones seem pretty ubiquitous

FD2501-1-off.jpg

unless you go for the the 8mm brass dowels

FD1000-10mm-Steel-Dowel-1off-2.jpg

I've seen those 25mm ones - but I was wondering if there was a version that was able to transfer power as well. I dont fancy my chances trying to solder to that brass. 

• RMweb Gold

I use the pattern maker dowels for baseboard alignment, and then use over centre catches to hold the boards together.  

The overcentre catches can also be used to carry the power over the baseboard joints.  As rab has said, just replace one wood screw per side with a nut, bolt and solder tag arrangement.

However, if you need to carry other functions across the baseboard joins such as wiring for lights/signals/point motors/uncoupling magnets then I used the likes of a VGA D sub cable.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 1

It seems to me to be a lot of faffing about to get dowels to carry power.  Simplest thing in my mind is to run wiring under the boards and use a connector.  I got some automotive connectors from Amazon.

John

• Agree 4

My layout uses the steel dowels.

P1010006-001.JPG.32d6d179d7093389512124a3469fa5d5.JPG

I found them difficult to get right because I guess my woodworking skills are not the greatest and tolerance is in the order of 1 or 2 thou.  Still I made them work.

John

• Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, brossard said:

My layout uses the steel dowels.

P1010006-001.JPG.32d6d179d7093389512124a3469fa5d5.JPG

I found them difficult to get right because I guess my woodworking skills are not the greatest and tolerance is in the order of 1 or 2 thou.  Still I made them work.

John

Not sure C&L still sell them, of course they are obtainable elsewhere if not. One tip is to use a Forstner bit to drill the recess, in Brian Lewis's day I think he gave instructions on how to fit them.

To be honest I can't really see many instances when only 2 connections need to be made.

9 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

Not sure C&L still sell them, of course they are obtainable elsewhere if not. One tip is to use a Forstner bit to drill the recess, in Brian Lewis's day I think he gave instructions on how to fit them.

To be honest I can't really see many instances when only 2 connections need to be made.

I bought my dowels from C&L eons ago.  I have seen them advertised in other places though.  Yes, i used a Forstner bit in a pillar drill.  The theory is simple enough, execution can be fraught though, at least for me.

My layout is DCC and most across board connections require just two wires for the buss.  Mine is a simple BLT though.  There are a couple of places where additional two wires are needed where I need to drive a Tortoise from a stationary decoder on the other board. 

John

• RMweb Gold
22 minutes ago, Stephen Freeman said:

I reckon my layout is going to be one of those instances. the handful of points will be DCC controlled, with power from the track bus (via CDUs). Its got a scenic area just 6 feet long, made up of 2 boards, with a fiddle yard making a 3rd board. 

SO its two wires feeding everything, hence why I am looking to keep it as simple as possible. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, JohnR said:

I used the plug in terminal blocks on my last layout, with just a pair of bolts for alignment/joining. I am looking to upgrade, while also keeping things as simple as possible.

If your boards are accurately made, one dodge is to screw on a ledge of wood to one end.  This at least maintains the height accurately although lateral location (ie side to side) needs adjusting.  If you are not planning to take the layout on the road then this might be good enough.  I have had my layout at one show this year and things worked swimmingly, helped by the steel dowels.  Layout is currently in my car ready to travel to another show this weekend.

John

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nick G said:

To connect power between board using plugs I found this the easiest way. They have stood the test of 20+ exhibitions and home use.

I've used them before, but was wondering if there was anything like the DCC Concepts power dowels, but which would fit the Tim Horn baseboards. 

9 hours ago, JohnR said:

I've used them before, but was wondering if there was anything like the DCC Concepts power dowels, but which would fit the Tim Horn baseboards. 

I use DCC Concepts power dowels on my latest O gauge layout with Tim Horn baseboards.

C&L's current offering is different to that previously mentioned. The only ones I would consider using are those sold by Eileens (same as the original ones I think), the actual manufacturer's name escapes me at the moment but many years ago I did acquire a catalogue, not surprisingly for a pattern makers dowel manufacturer, they are from the Birmingham area if my memory serves me right.

On 18/08/2022 at 19:52, JohnR said:

Tim Horn has made some boards for our demo layouts.

He made them with the requisite laser cut hole for our alignment dowels.

For those wishing to use our dowels with Tim Horn boards, contact him and we're sure he will oblige and cut the holes to match.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, DCCconcepts said:

Tim Horn has made some boards for our demo layouts.

He made them with the requisite laser cut hole for our alignment dowels.

For those wishing to use our dowels with Tim Horn boards, contact him and we're sure he will oblige and cut the holes to match.

Best Regards,

The DCCconcepts Team

Thanks - I just wish I knew that before the boards were delivered. Oh well, I'll know next time. I just assumed they'd fit. 

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Nick G said:

I use DCC Concepts power dowels on my latest O gauge layout with Tim Horn baseboards.

Did you order them specifically (I didnt know that you could), or did you cut a new set of holes?