The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

The road to the moon and beyond to Mars.

ERIC ALLTORQUE

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, ERIC ALLTORQUE said:

Well the booster has just static fired its engines and it certainly looks like 33 by the dust cloud. looks a good job so we should see orbital launch attempt soon. Just need ship lifted on to it again.

It was 31 in the end, 1 was shutdown prior to testing by the team and 1 shut itself down during the test. Overall a success! I've seen comments online that it was a failure due to 2 engines not working. Well, 1 was deliberately not part of the test and the other did what it is supposed to do in the event of an anomaly, rather than explode. Some people don't get that successful failures are part of testing!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 57xx said:

It was 31 in the end, 1 was shutdown prior to testing by the team and 1 shut itself down during the test. Overall a success! I've seen comments online that it was a failure due to 2 engines not working. Well, 1 was deliberately not part of the test and the other did what it is supposed to do in the event of an anomaly, rather than explode. Some people don't get that successful failures are part of testing!

Mores been learned from failure than success<it weighs full stack around 5000 tons but with 7500 tons of trust a few engines would be no issue,this booster and ship 24 are in the way now so orbital attempt is critical now

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, 57xx said:

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 01/04/2023 at 20:43, 62613 said:

All pretty spectacular, but the last one is still my favourite, for some reason! I suppose it shows just how risky thre early flights were

There's some "naughty" editing on that for a bit of humour, where did the escape tower disappear to..? That was actually MR-1's first attempt and was nicknamed the "4 inch flight". The ground umbilical's separated in the wrong order causing the engines to shut down when the rocker had only lifted 4 inches of the ground. This then triggered the escape tower to eject and the parachute sequence to operate (the bit shown). Luckily it was un-crewed, as they then had to leave the fully fuelled rocket for 24hrs to let it's batteries run down and oxygen boil off before it was safe to return to.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
On 04/04/2023 at 05:33, OnTheBranchline said:

What I've not seen anywhere is who are the backup crew? Surely they are just as important? If one of the prime crew falls ill, there must be someone trained to take their place. This happened during the Apollo program, e.g. Ken Mattingly getting "lucky" and being bumped days before the Apollo 13 mission for Jack Swigert due him potentially having measles.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 57xx said:

What I've not seen anywhere is who are the backup crew?

This announcement is a PR exercise.

They don't launch until late 2024 - maybe. Details like backup crews will be determined much closer launch. No doubt there is a cohort of astronauts going through training. This group is 'first preference' for Artemis II - essentially an updated Apollo 8  mission profile (full stack launch and lunar flyby).

Artemis III is of course the 'plum' assignment (all going well).

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Jeff Smith said:

Does Artemis III leave a crew member in orbit per Apollo?

Two will stay in Orion.

While up to four astronauts would leave Earth on board Orion MPCV, the surface mission with the Human Landing System (HLS) will consist of two crew members, who will remain on the surface for 6.5 days. The remaining astronauts will stay on board Orion.

It's going to be very interesting to see how all the Gateway + Starship HLS components work out. 

While the mission profile for the Orion modules are a very Apollo-like launch and free return trajectory - the Starship HLS will be launched by a Falcon Heavy into an earth orbit refuel of the Starship which then propels itself into the Gateway orbit.

Artemis IV is intended to include the International Habitation Module in the Gateway near-rectilinear halo orbit.

• Friendly/supportive 1