Steam locomotives with nicknames that were Canine or otherwise

844fan

Back in the 1950s my parents listened to "Round Britain Quiz" with its panel of remarkable brains.  The only question I ever got completely correct was "What do the following have in common, apart from being dogs -  bulldogs, terriers, and greyhounds?"    The panel flailed around until the question master put the out of their misery.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 07/09/2022 at 14:57, Steamport Southport said:

68031 Felix  is named after the Huddersfield station cat.

spacer.png

Copyright details here. As it's a nickname I don't know the photographers name, but it's "common" use.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:68031_Felix_at_Scarborough_Station..jpg

As for trains with animal connections look at Japan. Loads of them including a Hello Kitty train and even one with ears!

https://top.his-usa.com/destination-japan/wakayama/tama_cat.html

OOPS. Didn't notice the steam locomotives criteria.....

Jason

And there I was, thinking it was named after Sir Felix Pole, sometime General Manager of the Great Western Railway (the proper GWR, that is).

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 844fan said:

Oh I am glad to see so many ideas. I will reply ASAP been a tad sad for the last few days.

I’m ‘a tad sad’ myself sometimes; you have my full sympathy 844, black dog is horrible.  Reply when you are up to it and be nice to yourself, mate. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 11/09/2022 at 08:01, eastglosmog said:

And there I was, thinking it was named after Sir Felix Pole, sometime General Manager of the Great Western Railway (the proper GWR, that is).

Not in T'Pennines!

No GWR in that neck of the woods. Last one of those GWR things they sent to Huddersfield hit about half a dozen platforms. Here it is before being dragged to Crewe as an out of gauge load.

https://thetransportlibrary.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=76783

Jason

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/09/2022 at 09:10, The Johnster said:

I’m ‘a tad sad’ myself sometimes; you have my full sympathy 844, black dog is horrible.  Reply when you are up to it and be nice to yourself, mate. 

Thank you for the understanding, I have been having major depression ups and downs this year. My fault went ferreting when I shouldn't have on certain things. Got some help from my psychologist and a awesome friend from Scotland named Robbert to help me with it. 

But I am getting the last few bits together to finally launch my Patreon and Youtube to build my dream of a toy company, Dash Terrier Creations the engine names you all showed me will be my tiers and such. Have gotten a theme song made and now am making a animation for intro and such, I'll be designing characters in a Pixel art style (yes this includes my locos) and once I get enough done I will design their prototypes and possibly 3D sculpt. Many things will be made by hand.

It is a slope as steep as the Lickey but I got hope for a banker like Bertha, that in fact is going to be the name of my second highest tier name. 

• Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, 844fan said:

Thank you for the understanding, I have been having major depression ups and downs this year. My fault went ferreting when I shouldn't have on certain things. Got some help from my psychologist and a awesome friend from Scotland named Robbert to help me with it. 

But I am getting the last few bits together to finally launch my Patreon and Youtube to build my dream of a toy company, Dash Terrier Creations the engine names you all showed me will be my tiers and such. Have gotten a theme song made and now am making a animation for intro and such, I'll be designing characters in a Pixel art style (yes this includes my locos) and once I get enough done I will design their prototypes and possibly 3D sculpt. Many things will be made by hand.

It is a slope as steep as the Lickey but I got hope for a banker like Bertha, that in fact is going to be the name of my second highest tier name. 

Glad to hear you’re on an up at the moment, 844; company launching is a big boost of positivity and you seem to have a bucketful of creative ideas to go with it!  No need for thanks, they come with the territory.  ATB for the toy company!

• Friendly/supportive 1