Steam locomotives with nicknames that were Canine or otherwise

844fan

Hey guys,

Just had a random thought after finishing up my new logo for my Toy company start up and Patreon to help out as I show my designs, sculpting and other things. And yes there are trains in my toy making future as I am creating a world with lore around Toys.

Sorry if that sounded like soliciting hahaha, I will not advertise in the wrong places. But I had a nagging question, my mascot for my company is one of my two puppers, a dachshund Terrier mix named Percival Adalric Tripp Nimmo, or Peanut for short so my name for the toy making side is jamed after him and the A1 LBSC tanks "Dash Terrier Creations" but I also want to honor my Beagle Gypsy Andrea Tripp Nimmo and as I want to make a comic telling the story of my toys (Like Action Force and such which my action figures are to be of that style of toy 5PAoA 3 and 1/4 figures)

Heh yeah I dream big, but it just feels perfect (Oh the trains will be 1:62 scale models like the old Matchbox Panniers or the one brand of Thomas toys with the Universal hook coupling) now back to the Railway discusions.

I know Terrier's like Stepney goth their names from their tenacity and the barking puffs they made when pressed but working hard. I also know many Tank Engines mainly 0-4-0ST were called Pugs, but are there any that could work with Beagles or other dog, cat, bear and so on nick names? Also Tue A4s and the Great Bear don't count. 

😄😉

• RMweb Gold

The LSWR T9s, as modelled in 00 by Hornby, were generally known as Greyhounds, and the GW had a Bulldog class.  Also the broad gauge Rover class, but I’m not sure that counts…  And any loco could be called a bitch if it wasn’t steaming properly!

There was a class 47 named after an actual dog, Greyfriars Bobby, a faithful hound which would lay on the grave of it’s dead master in an Edinburgh cemetery every day for many years and became something of a local legend.  

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

There was a class 47 named after an actual dog, Greyfriars Bobby, a faithful hound which would lay on the grave of it’s dead master in an Edinburgh cemetery every day for many years and became something of a local legend.  

D602 Bulldog, D817 Foxhound & D821 Greyhound........but these were neither nicknames nor steam locomotives so distinctly off-topic (sorry!)

68031 Felix  is named after the Huddersfield station cat.

spacer.png

Copyright details here. As it's a nickname I don't know the photographers name, but it's "common" use.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:68031_Felix_at_Scarborough_Station..jpg

As for trains with animal connections look at Japan. Loads of them including a Hello Kitty train and even one with ears!

https://top.his-usa.com/destination-japan/wakayama/tama_cat.html

OOPS. Didn't notice the steam locomotives criteria.....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

The LSWR T9s, as modelled in 00 by Hornby, were generally known as Greyhounds, and the GW had a Bulldog class.  Also the broad gauge Rover class, but I’m not sure that counts…  And any loco could be called a bitch if it wasn’t steaming properly!

The LSWR also had the L12s which were also nicknamed Bulldogs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSWR_L12_class

Jason

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2022 at 14:06, Compound2632 said:

There was a series of ten LNWR George the Fifth 4-4-0s built in 1911, named after various hounds.

One was also called Bulldog (956 (LMS 5340), another was called Beagle,

A Precursor was called Greyhound, (as was a Dreadnought), another Precursor was called Terrier, one was called Cerberus, a Precedent was named Reynard.

In fact among the numerous seemingly mostly randomly named locos on the LNWR you can find just about anything.

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

The GWR were so keen on King Charles spaniels that they named two locos after them, and had to add I and II after the name to distinguish between them. Maybe the modern faux-GWR might now add a third.

They got it wrong.

4025 was named just King Charles, so surely to differentiate, the next two should have been King Charles II and King Charles III?

There you go, GWR right up to date!😄

23 hours ago, jcm@gwr said:

I believe there was a class of Scottish shunting locos, called Yorkies 

The Yorkie nickname referred  to North British class M 4-4-2T, LNER class C15 passenger locos, because they were constructed by The Yorkshire Engine Company of Sheffield. This was a very unusual builder for a Scottish Railway Co and might  actuallybe the only time it ocurred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 07/09/2022 at 15:24, Wickham Green too said:

It think it's fair to say that every steam loco can be made to bark under the right circumstances.🐶

It's said that the Webb 3-cylinder compounds, with only two exhausts per revolution, and at lower exhaust pressure than was usual, used to wuffle along - still suitably dog-like.

Did anybody mention Wolf of Badenoch?

• Funny 1