The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

I don’t like cricket!

EddieB

Yuk!

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/cricket-farm-london-ontario-1.6506606

Although the article implies that the protein source is intended as pet food, the World Economic Forum is advocating insects as a sustainable way of supporting a rising global population.  I can’t see the rich elite that attend Davos being the first in line to try the yummy new recipes, however.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, EddieB said:

Yuk!

Although the article implies that the protein source is intended as pet food, the World Economic Forum is advocating insects as a sustainable way of supporting a rising global population.  I can’t see the rich elite that attend Davos being the first in line to try the yummy new recipes, however.

If it's that or starve to death?

You'd be surprised what the human being will eat and drink to survive!

Mike.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 11/09/2022 at 04:33, EddieB said:

Yuk!

The thing I shouldn't find amusing but can't help doing so is that we've spent so many decades worrying about population growth that very few have considered the implications of declining birth rates in much of the world and that as the developing world develops we can expect to see population growth level off and then decline. The wild card is if we end up economically obsolete (rapidly approaching) and end up on universal basic income there may be nothing better to do for entertainment than the sort of stuff that leads to population growth.

On the WEF, I'd have more respect if it wasn't a playground for people who fly around the world in private jets consuming things at a level we can't imagine to then tell the plebs we shouldn't fly, eat meat, use electricity etc. Not that I'm a cynic or anything 😉

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

I tried some crickets a few years ago that had been given a spicy seasoning and fried.  They were rubbish.  All shell and no flesh.

Better than starving (especially if a swarm has just eaten your crops) but I can't see them catching on.  I suppose they could be ground up and incorporated into a pan of stir fried vegetables as a useful protein.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

A lot depends on whether people know what they're eating. How many people worry about cochineal red food colouring? The first time I had escargot my parents didn't tell me what it was as they knew my probable reaction, if you're told afterwards and you enjoyed it then you're much more likely to accept it. That said, I'm waiting for the scare stories telling us that all these impossible plant based 'meat' products are worse for everything than just eating meat😉🤣

• Like 1

On 12/09/2022 at 15:45, Classsix T said:

The rich elite will eat the liver of force fed waterfowl, boxed-up baby cows and any crap with gold leaf added to it.

What makes you think they won't eat insects once it's priced above what the plebs can afford?

C6T.

Sounds like you have mastered the essence of the current economy.  

• Agree 1