GWR Mink A - paint colours

TW1306

I've built a Parkside kit of a GWR Mink A van (PC84) but while the instructions simply say to use 'GWR wagon grey' for the whole body, all the protoype images I can find show the roof is a different colour altogether. Is there a Humbrol shade that would match this?

Bewdley_GWR_diagram_V16_93045.jpg.a63018c64db5c8e5f3a0c3edad4e8007.jpg101836_01.jpg.d3316a0c1abfa96ebbf39dba0b9fe4a3.jpgGWR_V16_Mink_A_93016_at_Bewdley.jpg.cb9c0030ad79b82f5bcf75115d9e3d41.jpg

As an aside, is there any way to get hold of GWR-era transfers for this kit (as there were only BR-era ones included)?

Although white when fresh out of the works, they quickly got dirty. A light grey would be suitable, though if ex works, I would go for Mr Hobby Light Grey FS36495, which isn't quite white.

For decals, try Peter's Spares. Either the online shop or ebay.

Edited by JZ

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

You don't say what period GWR you model but I'd go for a darker grey roof myself.

Admittedly I don't have a specific plan right now, but I think it'll be post-1931 (as defined by other kits I've built). Would you have an idea what shade would work for the roof?

• RMweb Gold

The white used on GWR roofs was an off-white colour (lead white), you could try a touch of brown or yellow in some white to try and get a light cream/ivory colour. There isn't anything in the Humbrol range that looks suitable that  I could see. Pure white is too garish a starting point, but once you get the off-white as your base colour you can weather down from there, anywhere from ex-works to well worn dirty dark grey. Don't be put off having some vans with relatively clean roofs, they were a lot more common than people would have you believe.

WhiteRoofsDontExist.jpg

Edited by 57xx
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

I've always used the HMRS (ex King's Cross) Pressfix range. The 'VENTILATED' needs compression to fit - fiddly.

As to roofs, as stated, they started off white lead, but soon weathered grey to black. This would depend on use - the coaches in the photo have almost all weathered.

http://www.gwr.org.uk/liverieswagongrey.html