Fascinating old adverts for railway equipment

• RMweb Premium
22 hours ago, D7063 said:

This is an interesting one, an electric tamper - now I always thought these were pneumatic. I wonder how it generated its oscillating action?

Was it a motor with a cam, or was it electromagnetic (surely not!)

R103.jpg

Was? I don't know if Kango still make the things, but Kango hammers are a staple of track maintenance, to the extent that I'd likely call any electric hand-held ballast tamper a Kango hammer, even if it is made by Hilti or someone else. I am sure that many Kangos are still in use.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/10/2023 at 20:46, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Was? I don't know if Kango still make the things, but Kango hammers are a staple of track maintenance, to the extent that I'd likely call any electric hand-held ballast tamper a Kango hammer, even if it is made by Hilti or someone else. I am sure that many Kangos are still in use.

I think Kango merged with Wolf tools (Remember those massive ally wolf drills? I've seen a cast iron bed bounce around on the end of one of them!). I had a Kango-Wolf drill when I worked for BT and the cam for the gear selection went, and I tried to get a spare, but by then K-W had been merged with Milwaukee tools, so fat chance!

Andy G 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Bucoops said:

"Train Description" always conjures up in my mind Sir David Attenborough "And here we have that staple species, the pick-up goods, slowly but surely winding its way towards us"...

Just me? Sorry.

Sir David looking at the Australian suburban backyard - or as it was, many are now disappearing and having town houses built instead - usually 3, where there was 1 house and garden front and rear.

Sorry not railway, but funny.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Usually a cross section picture is a good way to see how a machine, or suchlike works. In this case I don't find this sectional view of a hydraulic motor particularly illuminating!

As it has pistons, I would expect the hydraulic fluid to enter at the top of the cylinder and force the piston down. The cylinder heads appear to be nothing more than a 'blanking plate' and at the opposite end where the bearings are, there appears to be an inlet and an outlet for the fluid. The main rotating shaft has slots cut into it, and would suggest a means of timing the fluid entering the cylinder on each rotation (bit like the ports on a two stroke motorcycle are in turn exposed and covered by the piston skirt).

Am I being daft here, can anyone help?

R109.jpg

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Bucoops said:

It wouldn't surprise me if the odd deliberate mistake crept in to keep competitors in the dark.

... or me! I've seen more than one 'knock off' copy the faults too!!!

The Japanese manufacturers were famed for improving on the original, so the 'knock off' was often better than the original!!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, D7063 said:

... or me! I've seen more than one 'knock off' copy the faults too!!!

The Japanese manufacturers were famed for improving on the original, so the 'knock off' was often better than the original!!

Indeed - Lotus Elan/Mazda MX5 is a good example. Well, the MX5 was more reliable, but more of a sports car? Very debatable. 

• Like 1