Fascinating old adverts for railway equipment

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, D7063 said:

Hey, that was an interesting read that sent me down a bit of a rabbit hole. I'm amazed that these circuits could maintain a stable frequency with the primitive components available - I wonder how they would have calibrated them, I'm guessing this was before the days of oscilloscopes? 

Possibly with something as simple as a tuning fork.... We used to use tuning forks with 'shutters' on them to check the speed of pulsing machines in telephone exchanges...

Andy G

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, uax6 said:

Possibly with something as simple as a tuning fork.... We used to use tuning forks with 'shutters' on them to check the speed of pulsing machines in telephone exchanges...

Andy G

Cheers Andy - I couldn't for the life of me think what they might have used!

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MartinRS said:

I hope this is not too far off topic. It's for railway services rather than railway equipment and was published in an 1845 directory of Sheffield.Sheffield1845.jpg.e8196fcd1d3db72cf05316b5966f1be3.jpg

every font known to man apart from comic sans

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

7 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

every font known to man apart from comic sans

Here are some more fonts from the same 1845 publication! My grandfather worked at Davy United as a metal spinner putting the finishing touches to ships' propellers: heavy precision engineering.

Davy Sheffield 1845.jpg

Edited by MartinRS
Spelling
  • Like 8

I wonder why there was sufficient demand for Brazilian Grass Hats that they merited a mention. It’s not a form of headgear that leaps to mind when you think of Yorkshire, is it? Maybe though, all that stuff about Ilkley Moor was down to the loss of a Brazilian Grass Bowler, or some such.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, MartinRS said:

Thanks for the information. I also found the same image in Drake's Road Book of the Sheffield and Rotherham Railway from 1840.

drakesroadbookof00drakiala_0113.jpg.25b16ee70bff2090e1527a3fef060a4f.jpg

they've done some interesting mods. to the loco in that one!

• Like 1

Here's another from Drake's Road Book. I have read claims that Dodds created the modern turnout and the locomotive turntable, expanding boilers and sprung buffers. Before the

OS 'Old Maps' site went off-line there was a map showing a locomotive turntable at the end of the Sheffield Wicker platforms where you would expect to see the buffers. (I have seen photos of a similar set-up at a coastal station with an engine hanging out of the station having failed to stop! I'm not sure what drakesroadbookof00drakiala_0138.jpg.1f88723afa6c471470425d297bf9faa2.jpga pre-Dodds turnout looked like.

Edited by MartinRS
Station name. Opps!
  • Like 6

The wagons are also different though I would say one is a copy of the other? Or it could be the same wagon with one made by Peco, the other by Hornby!!!

Edited by MartinRS
typo
  • Funny 3

4 hours ago, MartinRS said:

Here's another from Drake's Road Book. I have read claims that Dodds created the modern turnout and the locomotive turntable, expanding boilers and sprung buffers. Before the

OS 'Old Maps' site went off-line there was a map showing a locomotive turntable at the end of the Sheffield Wicker platforms where you would expect to see the buffers. (I have seen photos of a similar set-up at a coastal station with an engine hanging out of the station having failed to stop! I'm not sure what drakesroadbookof00drakiala_0138.jpg.1f88723afa6c471470425d297bf9faa2.jpga pre-Dodds turnout looked like.

Martin, these are amazing - thankyou for posting!!!!!

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, MartinRS said:

The wagons are also different though I would say one is a copy of the other? Or it could be the same wagon with one made by Peco, the other by Hornby!!!

See there's historic reference to the idea of making models, using generic parts, like Tri-ang did!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

I wonder why there was sufficient demand for Brazilian Grass Hats that they merited a mention. It’s not a form of headgear that leaps to mind when you think of Yorkshire, is it? Maybe though, all that stuff about Ilkley Moor was down to the loss of a Brazilian Grass Bowler, or some such.

Panama hats. Cricket. Yorkshire.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
15 hours ago, spamcan61 said:

they've done some interesting mods. to the loco in that one!

It's fairly typical for an illustration of a late Rocket class, but surely ten years out of date for the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway.

8 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

It's fairly typical for an illustration of a late Rocket class, but surely ten years out of date for the Birmingham and Derby Junction Railway.

That sort of 'out of date' printing block was obvious in Yellow Pages too. Bedford TK removal vans still featured heavily in the early 2000s.

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, MartinRS said:

Before the OS 'Old Maps' site went off-line there was a map showing a locomotive turntable at the end of the Sheffield Wicker platforms where you would expect to see the buffers.

Now online from the National Library of Scotland instead

https://maps.nls.uk/view/231282237

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

53 minutes ago, 4069 said:

Now online from the National Library of Scotland instead

https://maps.nls.uk/view/231282237

Thanks for the link. I always forget about the National Library of Scotland maps having become so used to the OS Old Maps site. I have just noticed what appear to be wagon turntables in the MR station train-shed. If the map was surveyed 1851 this would have been in use as a passenger station. (It became a goods station in 1870). I wonder what roll the wagon turntables played in stock movements? Perhaps short-wheelbase coaches used them?

10 hours ago, Jeremy Cumberland said:

Panama hats. Cricket. Yorkshire.

Hmmm …… we really need a millinery historian, but from what I can work out Panama hats didn’t get here until a fair bit later, popularised first in the USA. The smart gents’ sun hat for a large part of C19th was the straw boater …….. maybe the best ones were made from imported grass! Maybe those rather elegant ladies’ sun hats?

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 1