Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

8th and 9th October 2022: Aldershot - Farnham and District MRC Exhibition

jbe

The Farnham and District MRC will be holding its annual exhibition at its usual location, Alderwood Leisure Centre, Tongham Road, Aldershot, GU12 4AS on 8th and 9th October 2022.

Saturday 10:00 to 17:00. Sunday 10:00 to 16:30. All on one level for easy disabled access. Adult £8.00, Child £2.00, Family (2 adults and up to 4 children) £18.00 Show guide included in price. Free car parking

Refreshments will be available from about 9.30 both days.

More details: https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=158

There will be twenty layouts plus traders and other stands. Layout list: https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=102

Julian

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Not long to go now.

For completeness, here are the layouts we are expecting to attend.

Axebrige (009) - Paul Windle

Belgomine Works (HO) - MSC Het Spoor (Belgium)**

Bodmin General (N) - Salisbury and S. Wilts Railway Society

Brixcombe (P4) - Farnham & District MRC

Canada Street (EM) - Peter Johnson

Castlederg (00n3) - Andy Cundick

Chateau Migraine (HO) - MSC Het Spoor (Belgium)**

Cheddar S&DJR (P4) - Simon Challis

Clearwater Harbour (0n30) - Steve Waterfield

Dillmouth (0) - Phil Harding

Lego Town (Lego) - Robert and Andrew Ankers

Marmagne SNCF (HO) - Tony Durose

Meldon West (N) - Tom Blount

Modbury (2mmFS) - Ian Smith

North Cornwall Brewery (00) - Malcolm Briggs

Outwell Village (00FS) - Alan Price

Pencader (EM) - Cardiff 4mm Group

Redbridge Wharf (00) - Winchester Railway Modellers

Scratchy Bottom Halt (G) - Michael Walshaw

Sherton Abbas (0) - Dave Stone

Wickwar (N) - Farnham & District MRC

Mamhead (0) - Jim Edwards**

(Unfortunately last minute changes seem to be a feature of the times, so I will try to update on Friday evening, if necessary.)

I hope you can make it along. AA signposting should be in place. More details here https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=163

** ** unfortunately it seems the two layouts from Belgium will not be joining us. We have added Mamhead, an 0 gauge layout by JIm Edwards.

Julian

Edited by jbe
Last minute changes to layouts

• RMweb Gold

Should be attending the show on Saturday. Very much looking forward to seeing Canada Street in the flesh, as it does seem to very rarely venture this far south. Also good to see a nice collection of continental layouts on show.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Geep7 said:

Very much looking forward to seeing Canada Street in the flesh, as it does seem to very rarely venture this far south.

Canada Street has appeared at shows at Portsmouth, Tonbridge, Alexandra Palace, Tolworth and Canterbury.

• RMweb Gold
8 minutes ago, Bonafide said:

Canada Street has appeared at shows at Portsmouth, Tonbridge, Alexandra Palace, Tolworth and Canterbury.

Good point, my mistake.... although for one reason or another, I keep missing it.

Edited by Geep7

A busy day for us all setting up and a lot is already in place. There is a big selection on the second hand stall ranging from modelling tools to boxed sets including some lovely N gauge locos and rolling stock, all at very reasonable prices.

Unfortunately it seems the two layouts from Belgium will not be joining us. We have added Mamhead, an 0 Gauge layout by JIm Edwards.

Fingers crossed for a good day tomorrow - there are many signs to guide you there!

Julian

• Like 1

Thank you Jon, It has been a busy but rewarding day and I will pass on your kind comment to the other members involved. Most importantly we had lots of positive comments from visitors about the layouts and the trade. Fingers crossed for an equally successful day tomorrow!

Julian

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a lovely morning / early afternoon at the show today. Great selection of layouts. Well done to the organisers, especially with having to find some last minute replacements.

I may be back tomorrow to spend a bit more time looking at the layouts, as I had my son and nephew with me today, so couldn't spend as much time as I would have liked today.

Edited by Geep7
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, AdeMoore said:

Hoping to see some of @SouthernRegionSteamJamies photos here later spied him in a pic in FB!

Thanks for sharing that. Now, not seen in the photo, but here I was under the instruction of @Phil Parker- it's the first time I've ever plonked my camera on a layout! Glad I came prepared for (almost) any eventuality.
I haven't even looked at my memory cards to see how many photos I have, but thanks to me stacking almost all of them, I suspect it's easily in the thousands - I certainly got through 2.5 batteries, so I know it was a lot of photos. I will try to edit a select few over the next couple of nights, but I will have my work cut out for me, and I won't be able to share many from Redbridge Wharf... yet!

I'll post more when I have photos to show, but I have to say it was a fantastic event, and well worth the 5am start for me. In particular, the Farnham club and the Winchester Railway Modellers were an absolute delight. In fact, almost everyone was friendly and accommodating whilst I took a few photos - for which I truly appreciate. The standard of modelling throughout was very impressive, although somehow I missed Canada Street. I saw it at Ally Pally, but both then and now I've failed to take photos of it! Thank goodness Phil's photos in the November BRM are there to remind me how good that layout is. Maybe it'll be third time lucky should I meet it again!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
39 minutes ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Thanks for sharing that. Now, not seen in the photo, but here I was under the instruction of @Phil Parker- it's the first time I've ever plonked my camera on a layout! Glad I came prepared for (almost) any eventuality.
I haven't even looked at my memory cards to see how many photos I have, but thanks to me stacking almost all of them, I suspect it's easily in the thousands - I certainly got through 2.5 batteries, so I know it was a lot of photos. I will try to edit a select few over the next couple of nights, but I will have my work cut out for me, and I won't be able to share many from Redbridge Wharf... yet!

I'll post more when I have photos to show, but I have to say it was a fantastic event, and well worth the 5am start for me. In particular, the Farnham club and the Winchester Railway Modellers were an absolute delight. In fact, almost everyone was friendly and accommodating whilst I took a few photos - for which I truly appreciate. The standard of modelling throughout was very impressive, although somehow I missed Canada Street. I saw it at Ally Pally, but both then and now I've failed to take photos of it! Thank goodness Phil's photos in the November BRM are there to remind me how good that layout is. Maybe it'll be third time lucky should I meet it again!

5am start that’s keen!

Look forward to some you are able to share.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, AdeMoore said:

5am start that’s keen!

Look forward to some you are able to share.

I had a lie-in. 6am start for me, and a good run with even the M25 behaving. 

Keep an eye out for Jamie's photos in a not to distant issue of BRM. I'm looking forward to seeing them!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I had a lie-in. 6am start for me, and a good run with even the M25 behaving. 

Keep an eye out for Jamie's photos in a not to distant issue of BRM. I'm looking forward to seeing them!

I was equally very lucky with the traffic, though on the way back my satnav sent me on the scenic route. Can't really complain though as it was a beautiful drive, and it didn't even include any motorways!
Thanks for all your help and advice, Phil - it is much appreciated. I hope you'll be able to share the photo of me with the sausage bun - it was a fantastic reward after a frantic 2.5 hour photoshoot. 😄

Oh, and just to update with a few stats of my photo haul - it's a total of 7046 photos(!), of which I think 3959 were of Redbridge Wharf. Almost all were stacked, some went over 100 photos per stack I believe, though most were 70 or under. Once I got started, I just couldn't stop myself, as Phil and the Winchester group will attest to!

Anyway, here's the last layout I snapped - Clearwater Harbor. All I've done editing-wise is to stack the photos (just 14 of them for this photo), and increase contrast very slightly. I'll try to add one photo of each layout to this thread sporadically over the next week.

1354915161_ClearwaterHarbor1sm.jpg.84a998168f4146678e7caabfd8c44a24.jpg

By the way, there were some very nice continental/foreign layouts on show; definitely not to be walked past without admiring, even if it's not your modelling interest.

• Like 10
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, SouthernRegionSteam said:

In fact, almost everyone was friendly and accommodating whilst I took a few photos - for which I truly appreciate. 

Almost everyone? Go on, spill the beans!

Was it those miserable sods on Sherton Abbas? 😀

• Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, Barry Ten said:

Almost everyone? Go on, spill the beans!

Was it those miserable sods on Sherton Abbas? 😀

I couldn't possibly comment! 😉 (But no, definitely not!)

Though, seeing as we're talking Sherton Abbas... I wish I had more time at the end for a revisit as it is a truly superb layout - Dave has really created a masterpiece, and it made me see the appeal of the larger scales (though no, I can't be tempted... not yet, anyway)! Here's the exceptional station building:

94917378_ShertonAbbas5sm.jpg.d42be3334552ce51e14e20662b9dbc1a.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 09/10/2022 at 21:26, SouthernRegionSteam said:

Thanks for all your help and advice, Phil - it is much appreciated. I hope you'll be able to share the photo of me with the sausage bun - it was a fantastic reward after a frantic 2.5 hour photoshoot.

If you insist.

Jamie 1.jpg

Jamie 2.jpg

• Like 1
  • Funny 2

Ah - a welcome Hart Lion's sausage bun (they do all the catering at the show). Before opening time, they wander the halls selling bacon and sausage buns to exhibitors and traders and very good they are too - makes me look forward to the next one already! (After opening visitors need to go to the cafe to eat.)

I am glad your visit to Aldershot was a success and congratulations to Redbridge Wharf on winning the 'Most Appealing Layout' vote by the public.

Julian

• Like 3
  • Agree 1