Great Central Railway books

GWR8700

I'm looking to kearn more about the GCR, specifically about the buildings and structures on the London Extension in the pre grouping period.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

I have George Dow's Great Central Album.  It is a nice introduction but I'm looking now for some more in depth.

There’s a lot of information on the www and the best of all! IMHO, is this site

https://imageleicestershire.org.uk/view-item?i=11959&WINID=1664177121996&key=QnsiUCI6eyJpdGVtX2lkIjpbMTE5NTldfSwiRiI6ImV5SnpJanBiTVN3eUxEUXNNMTE5In0&pg=1

A Leicestershire photographer S W A Newton captured the construction of the GCR London Extension in great depth, and the Leicester County Council has made them available. There are nearly a thousand images of infrastructure and people, with over a hundred views of the contractors’ locomotives, mainly a fine collection of Manning Wardles. Selections of these photos have been published in a number of formats, but obviously this online collection is the most comprehensive.

Yes I've got the book referred to by Nick.  Railways and Rural Life - SWA Newton and the Great Central Railway. It is a photographic book (which includes some lovely none railway photos).

There is also another largely photographic book - Great Central Memories (London Marylebone, Rugby, Leicester Nottingham Sheffield) - by John M.C. Healy.   This has some photos of the pre-grouping period, but I would say is mainly post grouping.  Got some nice photos of structures.

Neither of these books has in depth studies (plans. diagrams) of structures buildings, just nice photographs.        

I understood that some few years ago the author Steve Banks was working on a book covering the GCLE in some considerable depth, including (I believe) the aspects of interest to you and much else, and indeed he had been for a long time. As with some of his other known projects it has not so far seen the light of day. That is not meant as a criticism per se; for any author, getting the text of a book written is one thing, but sourcing suitable illustrations (preferably not widely published before) is another; and then actually getting a publisher to produce it (without mangling it in the process) is another again. 

If he or anybody else does eventually get such a volume onto the market, I suspect it would sell well. 

Edited by Willie Whizz

Thank you very much all!  Will look into getting those over the next month.

For a railway which is quite well regarded and represented with the GCR it is somewhat surprising there is so littme available on it at the moment.

That forthcoming book does sound interesting!

One on my list. Might not be quite what you are looking for though.

https://lightmoor.co.uk/books/gorton-tank/L8870

Also have a look at Middleton Press. I don't think they've covered all of the GCR yet though.

https://www.middletonpress.co.uk/

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport