Fareham

Gilbert

My first ever visit to this show and I was very impressed with the standard of the layouts and thought it good value for the entrance fee. There are quite a few shows which charge less but are not up to the same standard.

It won't be the last time I visit

I hope they make a profit.

We went on Saturday to the Worthing exhibition instead.  It was nearer.  Just as well.  Given Stagecoach’s chaotic route 700 bus service, I wondered if we would actually ever get back home to Brighton!

Like Fareham, it was very quiet.  Which was a real pity, because it was a fine exhibition.  It was mainly of Worthing MRC layouts, which was great because they have some splendid layouts.  Think Loftus Road and Arunvale.   And Holly Bank Grove MPD, a visiting layout from Newhaven and District MRC was particularly atmospheric, too.  Here is a photo of it:

Hollybank-1.jpg.8b565af43a9071a955537be730612e53.jpg

We got plenty of time to chat, and just for us, even a special run of a JA (Class 73 to some of you), with photo-opportunity in Arunvale station.  Here she is, drawing in:

Arunvale-1.jpg.aeb70446b8edd5b9e0adbd212e76a2a3.jpg

I had vowed not to buy any more rolling stock, so I averted my eyes from what the traders had to offer.  But there were lots of books for sale and I bought a couple of mighty volumes from Kim’s Bookshop of Chichester and Arundel.  Clearly, a fine local bookshop with a good railway selection.

It was a lovely local exhibition with local layouts and traders.  And all for £5!  Just hope they get more folks next year.

• RMweb Gold

£10 or more is going to become increasingly common I suspect with hall costs. One show I’m involved with has seen a 75% price this year and it’s an extra 25% for the next hire so it’s gone up 100% in the last three years. 
Fareham had a good selection of layouts for me but someone else pointed out UK modern layouts were a bit thin on the ground. 
To be honest with Grantham, Bridgwater and BergellerBahn i wanted to see again I was delighted and then several other really nice layouts too so I was quite content. Exhibitors lunches on Saturday had a hiccup when they ran out of sarnies for the later slots but I waited less than ten mins for a sausage roll instead which was acceptable for me but caused a few grumbles. 
I hear it was slightly busier today but still not bustling like usual. As others have said I think the club needs to think about publicity and help Nigel out as he seemed to be running round doing a lot. It needs to be said he was calm and friendly along with the other three members I dealt with so overall a very pleasant day. 

I visited the exhibition on the saturday, i found it very enjoyable with some excellent layouts, the highlight of my visit was a big surprise finding Sutton's Locomotive Workshop having a stand and had a good chat with Phil, those 25's sure look superb.

Edited by Brian Hawkins
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Brian Hawkins said:

I visited the exhibition on the saturday, i found it very enjoyable with some excellent layouts, the highlight of my visit was a big surprise finding Sutton's Locomotive Workshop having a stand and had a good chat with with Phil, those 25's sure look superb.

I also quite enjoyed the sweeties provided by SLW

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Fareham had a good selection of layouts for me but someone else pointed out UK modern layouts were a bit thin on the ground. 

To be fair......I think one fairly contemporary layout was a victim of covid and if you regard blue diesels as "modern" Mostyn is due to appear next year.

Chris

• Agree 1

• 3 months later...
  • RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Does anyone know the dates of the 2023 show please?  My search has come up with nothing and I am trying to plan my diary for this year.

I may have an invite - not sure yet - but I've pencilled in 30.9.23-1.10.23 - I have no idea if this is correct.

Now updated as 7-8 October

Chris H

Edited by Gilbert
  • Thanks 1