Fareham

Gilbert

• RMweb Gold

I can't find much about the Fareham show next weekend (I/2 October) other than a website:

https://fareham-mrc.org.uk/railex/

but I have been given a list of layouts.

I'm there helping with Derwent Road after a busy weekend at Stafford and was wondering, about Trade etc? ( I assume Squires are there as they are shown as sponsors)

Avyn-a-Llyin OO9
Bergeller Bahn HOm
Bigbury-on-Sea OO
Blackfriars Bridge EM
Bosuns Wharf OO
Bridgebury Gate N
Bridgwater (S&DJR) O
Bruckless County Donegal 4mm
Cheriton Bishop OO
Derwent Road O9
Fordingham 3mm
Grantham the Streamliner Years OO
Haydon Square O
Hook Basin 1:25
Launceston Steam Railway OO9
Nette Brucke N
Rumbling Bridge OO
Scarlington (NOEL-2) N
Solent Summit N
Templegate Wagon Works O
Triang TT display TT
Yarmouth South Town OO

ChrisH

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I think Kernow Model Rail Centre are at Fareham, they are usually at Worthing too which is the same weekend but I think this year they are only doing Fareham.

Note, no trains on Saturday due to strike action which has well and truly messed up my carefully planned weekend....

Edited by John M Upton
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium
29 minutes ago, DJTrains said:

Pretty insane that Fareham MRG  aren't advertising who will be there.  Best way to put off punters. 🙄 

I thought maybe I had missed it somewhere but you are right, not even on their Facebook page or website is there a list of layouts or traders!!  Very short sighted.

• RMweb Gold

I saw on a Facebook post that Booklaw are going to be there as well. Actually the only reason I know the exhibition is going on. Sadly i'm away at the in-laws that weekend, so will be unable to attend. It's usually a good show.

21 hours ago, John M Upton said:

Note, no trains on Saturday due to strike action which has well and truly messed up my carefully planned weekend....

Same here….

Looks like once I get to Portsmouth Harbour, it will be the Gosport Ferry and then the bus to Fareham (via the express busway)…

• RMweb Gold

Had a great day helping a friend at Fareham and some great layouts but boy was it quiet!

Made getting in to watch Grantham and others easy. 

Just a selection of my favourites but plenty more to see plus it’s the first time I’ve seen the Kernow stand quiet!

0BC29E8F-6BE2-4272-8046-C58F936828F6.jpeg.c57826e84a8f5e4e92500cd13da639ca.jpeg

B5120468-DC16-468B-9472-F2316D63CA40.jpeg.0a754ff21f8507ca64971dcb7210e3bf.jpeg

06121935-3BBB-49A0-8FEF-61EB5F8C3EA4.jpeg.073c8331939625346caea73bf82f1058.jpeg

8F1BAB95-B11E-4173-9506-B2C8E552F456.jpeg.f9cf5e87dd6d94d48bdf380e840efec9.jpeg

955E6D4F-51A0-4E9B-9331-CF4F4B0D2CA6.jpeg.1bee18b639fedf6d833257ea2433aadd.jpeg

C14E25A6-BE97-44AC-BF0F-FAEB9A623DDC.jpeg.f2f871fe34e4a20b1049ef764bd33514.jpeg

F68BE899-CFEE-46B7-8AF6-09A234E83F5E.jpeg.fa357e7a41ae10cc5566793d749a2d59.jpeg

D0D1A78A-50DA-457A-A682-EAC5AD12619E.jpeg.5583ceafbb4d0443c79299a446dd2c24.jpeg

1C859433-CDA2-43D2-8DF0-5CFB254D2224.jpeg.6a10601b5740e987ecb26d9ac4009f4c.jpeg

2FACAE4C-3A1F-4EF1-8265-69234634C587.jpeg.206977683950ca03863c09af815add99.jpeg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
39 minutes ago, EmporiaSub said:

I thought it was rather quiet too. 

Obviously the train strike affected attendance but I cannot help noticing that it does not appear in the RM web exhibition diary or in the upcoming events. Perhaps this needs to be brought to the attention of the organisers?

Andrew

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Sitham Yard said:

Obviously the train strike affected attendance but I cannot help noticing that it does not appear in the RM web exhibition diary or in the upcoming events. Perhaps this needs to be brought to the attention of the organisers?

Andrew

I think they are aware now as it was talked about at the show. Shame as a good selection of layouts. 
I can’t imagine they usually rely that heavily on trains delivering punters? 

Edited by PaulRhB

14 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

I think they are aware now as it was talked about at the show. Shame as a good selection of layouts. 
I can’t imagine they usually rely that heavily on trains delivering punters? 

I remember the early bus connections from Fareham station often used to bring in up to 40 people, so perhaps 100 extra visitors is noticeable?

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, EmporiaSub said:

I remember the early bus connections from Fareham station often used to bring in up to 40 people, so perhaps 100 extra visitors is noticeable?

Noticeable yes but but this was very quiet, where you’d expect a packed hall even layouts like Grantham which are usually at least one row deep there was always plenty of space. Several times really good layouts had no one in front, chatting to John Laister on Bergeller Bahn we were amused to note he had more punters behind the layout marvelling at the hidden tracks than in front at one stage! 
Good show too. 

• Like 2

I think in terms of attendance it has to be noted that, as well as the rail strike, there are decent sized shows at Wigan, Folkestone and Worthing this weekend all of which may have taken a few off the gate especially the last one which is only just along the coast.....

On a more personal note, I was somewhat delighted to find the Bill Flude that owned Derwent Road was the same Willie Flude that sold me a Triang super 4 diamond crossing some 40+ years ago when we were both members of the Kettering Grammar School Railway Club! Good to catch up again Will!

Disgusting of Market Harborough 

• Like 1

For us locals the less crowded hall certainly made it an enjoyable experience

Oh and lesson learned when you spot something you think of buying...buy it. I ignored my wifes advice and came back to a trader to find the items I had in mind in the hands of someone else who was just paying for them 🙄

• Friendly/supportive 1

For me one of the things was the entry fee, I know clubs have missed a year or two, me and the wife £20 before diesel and parking - we rode the vintage bus last time parking at the station which adds to the enjoyment of the day.

I did look at exhibits attending but nothing really struck me.

I noted that Victory Railex earlier in the year had some stand out exhibits but again £10 entry fee and as an exhibitor it never felt overly busy but enjoyable with the people that stopped and chatted.

Perhaps it's the economic squeeze in people's minds.

I hope both shows made a profit it's nice to have somewhere local to show your layout.

G.

I'm not sure it would have made much of a surplus, if any.  I go each year and was there today, attendance was well down on previous years but the layouts were good and the variety was good.  I just think the club member responsible for the promotion of the event needs his a**e kicked, they can't continue with that level of attendance.  There was only minimal information on the website until the week just gone and next to no promotion on this forum.  I met an old acquaintance who only knew of it because someone else told him on Saturday night!  I enjoyed the lack of people because it made viewing so pleasurable but that doesn’t pay the bills.

• RMweb Premium

I was in a fifty fifty situation as to whether to go to this show or Worthing as  my original plan of one show Saturday and the other on the Sunday got scuppered by the pointless rail strike.  With signalling problems at Bedhampton making a right mess of the Sunday service I went to Worthing instead which was a good show but as the first post Covid one, a bit smaller than in past years (only £5 entry though) and apparently the Saturday was very quiet, many citing the rail strike as the predominant cause.

I shall try for the double again next year but as already said, Fareham MRC really need to get the publicity sorted out because this year was an utter shambles and it looks like the footfall at the door took a hit as a result.