LNWR vac braked wagon

billbedford

• RMweb Premium
On 27/09/2022 at 09:24, Wickham Green too said:

A quick delve into David Larkin's latest 'Acquired Wagons' volume finds no LNWR vans - which might suggest that they were withdrawn earlier than their contemporaries, maybe 'cos they were non standard ...... after all modification would involve a significant rearrangement of fixing points.

That isn't a comprehensive volume. A number of Pre-Grouping vans known to have made it to 1948 and beyond don't feature.

No shortage of LNWR vans post-nationalisation:

Radford Nottingham goods yard in snow c1952 JVol2225

Radford goods yard copyright DaveF of this parish.

Regards,

Simon

Edited by 65179
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, Wickham Green too said:

I can't recall anyone saying it WAS comprehensive.

I wasn't suggesting you had.  I merely intended to highlight that it wasn't to explain why I didn't feel any inference could be made about the survival of LNWR or any other pre-Grouping vans on the basis of the book.

Simon

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, billbedford said:

Maybe Peter Denny was right about modellers being much more concerned with how the roof of a vehicle looked than whether it had brakes. 

I thought it was all about how white the roof is - for GWR modellers! Freshly repainted out of the shops for all.

• RMweb Premium

Is the big horizontal vac cylinder ex L+Y , or based on a L+Y design ? 

During the 1930s the LMS were converting ex CR Grampian corridor coaches to vac brakes. The simple solution was to use a double ended vac cylinder of L+Y origin to replace the double ended westinghouse cylinder.

The build instructions from Caley coaches notes that the L+Y wagon works at Newton Heath was closed in 1930 with surplus parts being moved to St Rollox. If they are the same type then they continued in use until the late  1950s, albeit on coaching stock.

• RMweb Premium
10 minutes ago, Dave John said:

There is nothing in LNWR Wagons to suggest so. The arrangement in the drawing I linked to was introduced in 1894, to be superseded by a conventional vertical vac cylinder in 1904. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Wickham Green too said:

Not quite that simple as air brake cylinders 'push' and vac ones 'pull' !

The drawing amply illustrates the superiority of the air brake - a much larger volume is required for the vacuum brake to exert the same force as the air brake.

12 hours ago, Dave John said:

During the 1930s the LMS were converting ex CR Grampian corridor coaches to vac brakes. The simple solution was to use a double ended vac cylinder of L+Y origin to replace the double ended westinghouse cylinder.

The build instructions from Caley coaches notes that the L+Y wagon works at Newton Heath was closed in 1930 with surplus parts being moved to St Rollox. If they are the same type then they continued in use until the late  1950s, albeit on coaching stock.

From "Railway Carriages & Wagons: Their Design & Construction (Sidney Stone, M.I.Mech.E. 1903):—

In this brake the vacuum is created by an ejector and maintained by a pump like the Great Western brake, but while most of the parts are mechanically entirely different the same result is obtained, and carriages fitted with this brake intermix in the same train with carriages fitted with either of the other vacuum brakes without any trouble.

This brake was designed by Mr. F. W. Webb, chief mechanical engineer of the L. and North Western R.

LNWR Sack Brake.pdf

The story I've heard was that Webb threw the Westinghouse rep out on his ear after the latter suggested that Webb could benefit personally if he adopted their Patented brake - presumably getting a cut of the royalties.

I'd guess that the Sack Brake was a royalty-free solution, rather like the Armstrong/Churchward 'Dean Dustbin' which didn't infringe on the Automatic Vacuum Brake Co's patent.

What system did the L&Y use?

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 02/10/2022 at 00:33, K14 said:

The story I've heard was that Webb threw the Westinghouse rep out on his ear after the latter suggested that Webb could benefit personally if he adopted their Patented brake - presumably getting a cut of the royalties.

Not the rep but George Westinghouse himself, I believe.

The Westinghouse Co's business practices in the 1880s did it no favours with the morally rectitudinous directors and officials of English railway companies. The Midland had been an enthusiastic adopter of the Westinghouse Brake in the 1870s but various long-running disputes with the firm led to it changing over to AVB in the 1880s.

Edited by Compound2632
sp.
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Compound2632 said:

Not the rep but George Westinghouse himself, I believe.

The Westinghouse Co's business practices in the 1880s did it no favours with the moral rectitudinous directors and officials of English railway companies. The Midland had been an enthusiastic adopter of the Westinghouse Brake in the 1870s but various long-running disputes with the firm led to it changing over to AVB in the 1880s.

The meeting of F.W. Webb and his meeting with George Westinghouse, is related in the Talbot's book 'LNWR Recalled' (ISBN 0-86093-392-X), where the latter was thrown out after suggesting a commission of 20,000 pounds for Webb! I suspect that was a significant amount of money for the day.

This is on page 54. Later on page 56/57, there is a separate article on the later Newark Brake Trials, where several brakes were tested, including the LNWR Webb Chain Brake. This author was unaware apparently of the reason why this complicated and ineffective brake was trialled! Anything but Westinghouse!

• Like 1