Has anyone had any experience making a backscene depicting foggy conditions? I was mulling over the idea for my APA box layout. Muted colours fading into the distance might be a way to give extra depth to a scene.

Any thoughts or ideas anyone?

Thanks

Ian

I remember fog over the Manchester Ship Canal at Warrington in the 1950s so thick I walked into lamp posts on my way to school.  Are you thinking of building a layout set in that period ?  No need for accurately detailed rolling stock - you weren't able to see the trains.  All you'll need is a very powerful smoke generator, a good sound recording of passing trains and a cap gun to model the detonator going off.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• Moderators

Decoupage layers of building silhouettes in washed-out colours getting increasingly pale in shade into the distance and then overlay with a layer of tracing paper set a few millimetres forward of those layers to diffuse the definition.

• Like 6
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

10 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Decoupage layers of building silhouettes in washed-out colours getting increasingly pale in shade into the distance and then overlay with a layer of tracing paper set a few millimetres forward of those layers to diffuse the definition.

That was basically the avenue I was considering. The addition of the tracing paper was an extra step I’d not considered.

Thanks.

7 hours ago, BachelorBoy said:

This modeller uses theatrical lighting, and a smoke generator.

image.png.77bb853c731046fdb575a6ad856dcccf.png

image.png.4a622f9a328e9d71eb6fad484ee80457.png

https://www.vikaschander.com/layout-lighting/

ll very interesting, and waaaaay above my interest level (as in 'interest to get stuck in and understand all the tech'. But I'd be interested in seeing it done by someone else - effects are incredible).

The best little item I took away from it is the small boxes with 12-volt LED strips placed behind the windows in the back scene. Great for preventing light leakage.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Ian Smeeton said:

That's less than a mile away from me, and about a mile north of the site of the four-train pile-up in fog in the small hours in 1958, the official report on which is here https://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/docsummary.php?docID=509 although a railwayman who was on duty at the time tells a slightly different story.

• Informative/Useful 1

A cost and labour saving solution, If you wear glasses.

Put your specs in the fridge for half an hour, before attending to the layout.

When you recover your specs and put them on in a warm room, they’ll fog up, giving you the effect you desire.

Alternatively, open the dishwasher the moment it finishes its wash cycle and stick your glasses into the cloud of steam that billows out when you open the door.

• Funny 5