Documentation in the planning of a railway layout

AyJay

Morning  all, you may have seen this thread before, for I am also on another forum.

In my professional capacity, I have come across a lot of technical  documentation. With time on my hands before I could start on my current layout, I decided to apply my skills to writing a set of documents in the same style as if for a major work project.

I found this approach to be very helpful, for it forced me to be disciplined in looking at what it was that I wanted to do. It also forced me to consider the things that I knew nothing about and to which I had no answers.

I am offering to make this material available to all. If you are thinking of starting a construction project but don’t know where to start, then this may be helpful to you.

If you are not familiar with project documentation, it may read a little strange, but then it may also challenge you to consider something that you would otherwise not think of.

I want to test the water here and gauge the level of interest? Is this something that you would like to see?

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

The concept of documenting a layout tasking/specification for the build isn’t a bad idea in itself, especially if you’re new or relatively inexperienced. 
Iain Rice covers it in his planning books having adopted the idea from the US as the late John Armstrong is often referred to as the Dean of Model Railroad Planning.

Essentially that boiled down to two lists, Givens (must haves) and druthers, (nice to haves). Those lists covered all aspects of the build, from the layout infrastructure to the types of stock etc etc. Whilst a project plan would encompass some of those listings elements, and perhaps task sequences, my slight reservations are for some people it may become too prescriptive, and potentially more like ‘work’. I’d hope such project documents would have that in mind, it is after all a creative hobby, where occasionally free flow in all aspects of construction really makes progress and sometimes takes you down a very different path than intended. Three of my Shelfie layouts, and Albion Yard, have had that free flow approach and I’ve learned far more from that than if I were working to a ‘work type’ project plan.

I have done a similar structured  proposal in the past and the layout never got built, and interest in building it now is almost non existent. The reason why that occurred is because with all the research and planning that I did, https://albionyard.com/2011/12/25/new-radnor-stepping-stone-to-finescale/ it felt that I’d pretty much built the layout anyway, and interest in the physical build dropped off a cliff!

I’m certainly interested in reading more about it though, so please go ahead.

Edited by PMP
Addition
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I would love to see how you document layout design and build.

However I worked on producing procedure manuals for fairly big projects and can see that many people would not be interested.

Don't forget that you will be presenting this to people who are not used to reading this sort of material.

I can remember sections of manuals that had a heading for the topic. Under this was written :- " Do not even think about it." It might seem over the top and even a bit sad but you have to treat people like that. If you refer to mains electrics for example you have to treat people like idiots. The choice is to set out fool proof methods in full detail or give instructions as to who to contact. In the context of publication on a forum I can see problems.

It might well work for you, as you have set out the parameters of what you want to achieve, but presenting this to other people might be a step too far. I fear that you will get a lot of uniformed feed back.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Adopting the professional project route is essential for capital projects and programmes which depend on meeting targets such as quality, time and cost. Hobby modelling is largely untroubled by such matters, although aspects of a large or complex model railway can be taxing, so a degree of planning and programming is desirable.

However, despite a career in construction project and financial management, experience suggests the subject matter is not easy listening for many end users. However, readily available good advice is always welcomed by those who need and ask for it, so thank heavens for popular forums like ours and all the experienced people who happily contribute with solutions.

Happy modelling 🙂

• Like 2

Very well then, I’ll continue, but first a word about context that may help you understand it all.

The attached file contains a number of documents that are in the correct order. It is not one document, which is why there is repetition. 
They follow the style used in a previous employment, so they are supposed to look that way. I just tailored the template to fit my need.

They were written over a period of about 3 years, so there will be differences. In places, they are incomplete, but that does not matter.

The whole direction is to lead the reader to the Requirements Specification and this is intentionally solution independent; that is why you will not find what the end result looks like. It is not supposed to give a final design. Requirements are supposed to provoke you into considering alternative options; what you need, not how to achieve it.

So why do it? Well to answer that, have you ever gone straight to the solution that you want, bought it and then within a year found it to be completely useless? Didn’t fit. Can’t upgrade. Can’t get spare parts. Difficult to use. Won’t work with what you have and so on and so on….    So long as your creation only exists on paper, you can rework it as often as you like; but once you start pouring concrete, welding steel, or cutting plywood, then you had better be clear about what you want because rework is expensive.

Who will this be of use to? If you are clear in your mind and confident about what you are doing, then this is possibly of little use. But perhaps you are a beginner, unsure which way to turn? Or perhaps you are a club and you want to make sure that all members are in agreement as to what you are doing. Or perhaps in your last layout, you forgot something. Then you may find something useful in my offering. All explanation needed should be within the Strategy document. Please feel free to adapt to your needs.

If you wish to pick it apart or criticise, then I politely ask you to move on. If you find any of this helpful in any way, then please let me know.

Thank you and “good reading”

Model Railway Combined Documents.pdf

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 3

I’m not too sure about this, or rather I’m pretty sure it wouldn’t work for me.

Project documentation is supposed to be a form of communication, although many examples I’ve seen fail woefully on that front, and I can’t see the point in producing documents by means of which I will communicate with me, because that stuff happens inside my head, and doesn’t need to be commited to ‘paper’.

Design documentation, drawings, wiring diagrams, schematics etc are a different class of animal, because they communicate from current me to future me some important information that I might well forget.

Im not saying ‘don’t’, merely ‘I wouldn’t’.

PS: I certainly wouldn’t go writing down any cost estimates. That could become ‘domestically discoverable’ documentation, which might generate more questions than I have good answers.

Edited by Nearholmer
  • Like 5
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Yes Mike, I think it has killed this one dead!

I go to share the things that I know and just get shot at.  Being of a sensitive personality, I think I’ll just keep to myself in future.

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AyJay said:

I go to share the things that I know and just get shot at.  Being of a sensitive personality, I think I’ll just keep to myself in future.

Sorry wasn’t meant to.

Paul.

• Agree 1

On 03/10/2022 at 06:40, AyJay said:

I want to test the water here and gauge the level of interest? Is this something that you would like to see?

Thanks for sharing, but it looks like you have your answer. 

I think the thought that goes into planning a layout is very worthwhile and its good to clarify what you are trying to achieve and writing it down probably helps with that thought process.  I'm sure that there is a lot of useful information in that document, but I feel that it's lost in what I'd call Project Management ****.  It reminds me of work documents that have a very useful method statement planning out the technical aspects of a series of tasks that need to be undertaken, and then it has to be surrounded by details about budgets, programmes, file storage, approvals, health and safety statements, etc, which are not directly relevant to those doing the job.  Diagrams like your 'Functional Breakdown' means nothing to me.  It reminds me of a lot of fancy 'strategy' diagrams, that I never really understand.

As @Nearholmer has said, documentation should be a means of communication between the author and the reader.  If I was going to pay someone thousands of pounds to build me a layout, then I'd see the value in writing such a document, as it would clarify to the reader (the layout builder) what I want.  However, I'm less sure that I see the value of some of the content, like the glossary, if it's for your own consumption.  If I'm wring a technical report at work for the consumption of others in my field, then I won't include a glossary, but if I'm writing a report that is ultimately destined for the public domain, then I will set out to explain terms and acronyms used.  Most railway modellers will know that Peco produce track, but in the general population, that probably isn't the case.

There does however appear to be valuable information for others such as the colour convention used for your wiring and the DCC addresses for locomotives.  That is the sort of information that others who are trying to fault find or operate would want to know.

Obviously the approach works for you, which is great, but I don't think it's for me.

• Like 2

Ayjay,

Do not despair nor keep your thoughts/ideas/experience to yourself. I found it very interesting and thought provoking as I had not considered using PM techniques and documentation in layout design and production. As my working life consists of fighting against decision based evidence making as I and others try to drive forward real evidence based decision making in our field, I found the concept and requirements area a very timely one for the hobby. 

One of the key areas I think you have brought forward is the consideration of through life costs, something I think we give little open thought to (or discussion of) in design, production/construction or operation! 

It also occurs to me that you have the bare bones of a planning, construction and operation (as in what to do and when in modelling terms rather than this is how the prototype did it) book…

Regards

Duncan

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
15 hours ago, AyJay said:

I feel your pain with regards sensitive personalities.

For what it's worth, I found the document and approach interesting, and just because some may find it unsuitable for them that doesn't mean it's unsuitable for everyone.  It seems to me that this planning and documenting approach is very much a part of how you model railways, and all power to you.  I have embarked on something similar, although rather than a project management tool it's a document intended to be a hand book for operation and maintenance of the layout. Construction materials, construction methods, wiring schematics, control installation, rationale of the operating sessions, etc., etc.  I find it very helpful and gives the layout a professional feel.  

Your document is very detailed, much more detailed than my approach and, as you say repetitive (by design) in places.  However there is definitely some work in there that I found useful and will adapt and use for my own purposes.  So, if it's any consolation, at least one individual is glad you've raised the subject and posted your considerable efforts.

I'm not sure how it can be viewed as inflicting processes on anyone. If it's not someone's cup of tea, then the have the option not to read it - especially when beforehand what's involved has been laid out.

Best

Scott.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Many thanks for sharing this.  As the brain becomes foggier, I have moments where I look at the bench and the mind blanks, or I cannot remember the name of the materials I need to order.  I intend to take the basic structure of your document and produce a simplified version for the layout I'm currently embarking on (the first after a break of 55 years).  I will not be posting details of it on this forum, as the standard of my modelling is currently unlikely to pass muster with those who obviously believe that there is no room in this hobby for beginners, the less able, or those who cannot build a nuclear reactor with no more than a screwdriver and spanner from a Meccano set, or who take their own approach to modelling.  Of course, this also demonstrates that I'm not fit to subscribe to BRM magazine.

MUCH GRATITUDE and THANKS , however, to all those many members who generously share details of their modelling methods, their research, sources of materials etc. etc.  Even if some are beyond my current capabilities, they still provide inspiration.  I'm about to start a simple modification of a basic RTR wagon by following details posted on this forum; which not only showed how to go about it, but listed the parts to obtain first and the tools that will be required. 

Ayjay.  THANK YOU so much for sharing.  This documentation will communicate with me the stuff that happens inside my head today, but which may not be there tomorrow - and do so in a logical and easily referenced document. I will be incorporating method statements for some basic tasks, so that it morphs over time, and the 'what to do' and 'when to do' comes with a related 'how to do'.  I also concur fully with the views of @scottystitch given above.  If I had followed the approach of your document sooner, it would have also avoided some needless purchases (I now have a database of required stock, including a photo of each item, on my phone).

Thanks for sharing, for putting your head above the parapet and making a contribution that I value. Incidentally, it may be the thing that keeps me modelling,  spending money and thereby supporting manufacturers and traders who supply the hobby.

Pete.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Having kicked off - from my initial research, calculations (and in one case practical tests using a full length mgr train), and review, some big projects on the real railway I have to admit if gives me some pleasure to see them in use 30 years later as i did on Monday when travelling down to Stoke Gifford, aka Bristol Parkway.  So to me seeing the realisation of something I developed from my own ideas is I suppose a sort of proof that project planning has an important role.  But the critical stage in all of that was getting the specification and the supporting documents & information in order to persuade others that tens of Millions should be spent  where I needed it to be spent.

That is ina way where things, in my view most immediately relate to planning and developing a model railway.  First of all you need to decide - for your own logical reasons growing out of your railway or wider interests - what you want.  You are in project terms producing the specification - from there you go to the equally important steps of detailed planning to see if it will fit the site and how you will work it.  Some folk will inevitably test their track/layout ideas against a timetable for train operation. andthat too adds another document or series of iterations of documentsMost people, i think, tend to do this in their head although obviously sketch plans will be produced, and tested against the specification, and they will be confirmed in most cases by scale plans to make sure it fits the site and is practicable in model railway engineering terms.  Much of this might lie in the head of the modeller but some of it will have to be on paper particularly t ascertain methods of construction for the infastructure of 'baseboards' and to create a bill of materials for that, as well as the railway related items such as track.

So you are building a project file as you go ideally kept in good order and not just in your head.  Thus talking about project planning and documentation can be very relevant when it comes to model railways and you might even plan a budget (although I doubt many of us do that and even fewer write it down).  The level of recorded detail will however vary from individual to individual and I think simplicity is probably more important to many of us and some things are given.

For example here is my simple list - it has to be a roundy as I want to watch passing trains, but it has to have valid, i.e. prototypical, features which allow for other sorts of operation (e.g. a bay platform where local trains reverse, local freight facilities but minimal to avoid view blocking).  The era chosen will mean mainly bullhead rail (which will be in r-t-p track and points) and semaphore signals.  Electrically DC with 'live frog' points, cab control with some linked section selection controlled by points and/or signals with functional level electric interlocking between points and signals (not an inteerlocked lever frame, alas).

Problem to resolve - the side of the room where storage loops would usually go has a door slap bang in the middle

• Like 3

On 03/10/2022 at 16:40, AyJay said:

""I am offering to make this material available to all. If you are thinking of starting a construction project but don’t know where to start, then this may be helpful to you.

If you are not familiar with project documentation, it may read a little strange, but then it may also challenge you to consider something that you would otherwise not think of.

I want to test the water here and gauge the level of interest? Is this something that you would like to see?""

Hi Ayjay

I would find that immensely useful to myself as I develop a plan for my layout.

cheers

Mark

On 04/10/2022 at 18:11, AyJay said:

Ah so it looks like you aren't a project manager then.  In my experience you can't be a project manager and have a sensitive personality. The project manager is usually the first one everyone from all sides has a pop at.  People with single special skills such as engineers and code cutters are usually the worst behaved people on a project team.

I sort of do all of that in my head for my own layouts and doing all that as an individual it probably is overkill. On the other hand  this sort of planning does get people asking the right questions which is a good thing; it really does work. Having seen a number of club projects I do think it would be worth using this approach for a club layout. That way everyone (who bothers to read it) will know what is happening and what is required next. It provides a clear direction for what tasks need to be done and in what order. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Chris M said:

I sort of do all of that in my head for my own layouts and doing all that as an individual it probably is overkill. On the other hand  this sort of planning does get people asking the right questions which is a good thing; it really does work. Having seen a number of club projects I do think it would be worth using this approach for a club layout. That way everyone (who bothers to read it) will know what is happening and what is required next. It provides a clear direction for what tasks need to be done and in what order. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hadn’t thought about it from a club perspective where it does make a lot more sense.  Would need to be a lot lighter for me to be able to convince others of the value.

For my own layout, I have also done a lot of this in my head, but supported by spreadsheets with quantities, xtrackcad layout design which gives quantities, definitions of colour coded wires and connector types etc. In effect, achieving the same end by different but not unrelated means.

Paul.

• Like 3

Thank you for your encouragement all.

As a person who has Aspergers, I have to constantly battle against lack of confidence and following the conviction of my own beliefs. I find writing things down, helps me to 'ground' my thinking.

My first adult layout was a good teacher, because I did not have a clue what I was doing and it was truly dreadful. Everything was wrong.

Then I got work into user interface testing on Mobile phones and learned how to write test specifications.  So, I applied this to writing a construction spec for my next layout. At exhibitions, I would talk to exhibitors about their creations. I wanted to know "why did you do it that way and would you do it again?". Thus I was able to build up a clear picture of how I wanted to build it. There were a few things wrong, but they were the things that I did not look at.

Move forward to a new career in handling project work, I learned about Requirements Capture and this led to my current layout. You are probably doing in your head what I have described, without even being aware of it.

Sure, it;s not for everyone and you may find this approach too much like hard work. but then if you have ever had to undo something because you forgot something important, then you might want to reconsider that stance.  Also, if you are a club considering your next project, then perhaps this approach will show it's worth in helping to keep everyone on the same song sheet. I have experienced one club member who kept everything in his head; a challenge from the club for answers ended with him walking out. So it is important to make sure everyone is 'on-board'.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 5

I write down all kinds of things about my model railway in documents, just to be able to remember what I did and why at a later point. I simply can't keep all the information in my head. I include pictures and diagrams. Anything that can help at some later point. I know that if I don't do this, then I will have a painful relearning process eventually.

Yours, Mike.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Chris, this technique of capturing requirements can be applied to just about anything:

Your next home. Your next car. Purchases. Arranging an activity. Prioritising your thinking.

Mike, I can recall things that I did 50 years ago like they were yesterday. But sometimes, I don't know what I did last week, so I often rely on notes to self.

• Agree 1