Nifkin's Bridge Part Deux - The Lengthening!

• RMweb Gold

I'm currently working on 37378 37678 in Red Stripe Railfreight based on the new Bachmann 37430 and I've managed to spray over the roof and bodysides with Railfreight grey masking around the orange cantrail strip for the most part. The cab gutter rails were missed by the factory in some parts and oversprayed by me in others so I have found the perfect solution with an orange paint pen. If I cock up one of the lines, it wipes clean with IPA else dries to a tough finish. Brilliant they are for highlighting relief detail! Just like a marker pen to use once you get the paint flowing into the nib. Use transfers for lines on flat surfaces if necessary, though.

image.png.4ebf2357b6501e19810fcd4f4105d83c.png

Edited by 97406
Magoo strikes again!
  • Like 6

Nice work on the partial repaint. 378 is an interesting choice from 430, are you going to add the western region lamp brackets/headboard clips, bodyside boiler port door and redo the nose grilles? 37/4 back to a 37/0 is quite a bit of work!

You’d probably be better off going for a red strip one in the 6XX series based on that donor then you don’t have to mess about with the nose grilles.

The triple grey tractor looks very nice as well!

Kind regards,

Will

Edited by Southwich
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
46 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Nice work on the partial repaint. 378 is an interesting choice from 430, are you going to add the western region lamp brackets/headboard clips, bodyside boiler port door and redo the nose grilles? 37/4 back to a 37/0 is quite a bit of work!

You’d probably be better off going for a red strip one in the 6XX series based on that donor then you don’t have to mess about with the nose grilles.

The triple grey tractor looks very nice as well!

Kind regards,

Will

No, not at all, there was one of my specialty typos where I should have typed 37678 and then failed to notice through several attempts at proofreading. Faily eyebolds, oh folly!

So it should be a fair representation of 37678, not 378. 😂

Edited by 97406

2 hours ago, 97406 said:

No, not at all, there was one of my specialty typos where I should have typed 37678 and then failed to notice through several attempts at proofreading. Faily eyebolds, oh folly!

So it should be a fair representation of 37678, not 378. 😂

Well that makes a lot more sense now haha! Are you going to change the second man nose grilles like the prototype?

37678 at Buxton

Pic from Flickr above.

Kind regards,

Will

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
42 minutes ago, Southwich said:

Well that makes a lot more sense now haha! Are you going to change the second man nose grilles like the prototype?

37678 at Buxton

Pic from Flickr above.

Kind regards,

Will

Typical! I hadn’t noticed that. I may just apply Rule 1 to that as my reserve loco, 37682 is the same and I’ve done the ends. I wonder why Crewe made some nose grilles with double slats and some with single? Perhaps they recycled some of the driver’ grilles but made new ones single slatted.

Fascinating and frustrating in equal measure! 🙂

• RMweb Gold

Further to the above, Shawplan do etches for the single grilles and a little experimentation with some of their double grilles that I had in suggests they can be cut and laid inside the existing grilles. Will get a set. Incidentally, Phoenix Precision P134 BR signal yellow is a near perfect match for the shade Bachmann use so I shouldn’t need to respray the whole ends.

5 hours ago, 97406 said:

Typical! I hadn’t noticed that. I may just apply Rule 1 to that as my reserve loco, 37682 is the same and I’ve done the ends. I wonder why Crewe made some nose grilles with double slats and some with single? Perhaps they recycled some of the driver’ grilles but made new ones single slatted.

Fascinating and frustrating in equal measure! 🙂

well you say that, 886 to 892 or something around that batch, had single slats one end and doubles slats on the other on opposite corners just to make it interesting

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, 47606odin said:

well you say that, 886 to 892 or something around that batch, had single slats one end and doubles slats on the other on opposite corners just to make it interesting

Looks like 678 and 682 do. Anyhow have mailed Brian for a set.

• RMweb Gold

Anyhow the picture of 37678 is excellent material for weathering so thanks for posting @Southwich though it won’t be quite as heavily applied on mine. After my initial horror (😄) over the second man’s-side grilles I’m looking forward to modelling them now.

In other news I am working on another Accurascale split box 37 for the Banger Blue fleet. Despite the explosion of interesting liveries in the mid-to-late 80s, most traction was still in blue.

The unwanted tampo printed details have been removed from a second Accurascale 37027 with IPA applied with a cotton bud, which was then agitated with a cocktail stick and a small paintbrush with short bristles. I cleaned it off with fresh cotton buds dipped in IPA then a wipe with a rag dipped in a little IPA followed. Be prepared for specs of white paint residue to need cleaning out of grilles and other detail. The stripe really suited them, but I have another model of 027 that will keep them.

image.png.e78f406cfaa33fb83b6f9c3f6adb7087.png

image.png.cec21758584f7b8203e6048277e3b3a9.png

I am considering 37058 with plated end doors if I can match the yellow Accurascale have used. Railmatch pre 84 yellow looks promising but will do a test piece. I’m not fussed about single or double rivetted roof sections as my eyes won’t see the difference (see above 🤩).

An interesting feature of the real one was the uniquely plated over doors at the No.1 end which means I will need to get the bottom bit right somehow. I may cop out and choose a different prototype, but will give it some thought first while I finish 678. Note the depot sticker’s location (strokes beard and cogitates…).

D68870BA-5ED7-4591-ADB1-1C37E8BCE720.jpeg.bdc99c5dfc910a67b1604542afcb2f72.jpeg

Pic from class37.co.uk

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I have been researching other possible 37s for the second blue split box with 37020/4 as possible candidates for plated over doors at both ends or keep the doors and lose the headlights and do 37029 which was in that state for much of the late 80s. 

As a starter for 10 I’ll make a plated over door and attempt to colour match the yellow and go from there.

On 25/06/2023 at 01:41, 97406 said:An interesting feature of the real one was the uniquely plated over doors at the No.1 end which means I will need to get the bottom bit right somehow. I may cop out and choose a different prototype, but will give it some thought first while I finish 678. Note the depot sticker’s location (strokes beard and cogitates…).

D68870BA-5ED7-4591-ADB1-1C37E8BCE720.jpeg.bdc99c5dfc910a67b1604542afcb2f72.jpeg

Pic from class37.co.uk

Having been messing about with split boxes for the best part of 6 months now I think the ones to model are the ones with the interesting features! Personally I’d fill the front with plasticard then use masking tape or very thin card to get the very thin outline of the door remains - would look good I think!

Kind regards,

Will

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Southwich said:

Having been messing about with split boxes for the best part of 6 months now I think the ones to model are the ones with the interesting features! Personally I’d fill the front with plasticard then use masking tape or very thin card to get the very thin outline of the door remains - would look good I think!

Kind regards,

Will

I've been looking through Clas37.co.uk and 37066 has plated over communications doors but both are the full size.

I've been trying out some different thicknesses of styrene sheet in the door aperture and 15 thou sits in there best. I think a little thinned yellow acrylic around the edges to further reduce the slight gap around the edges. I've done the number 2 end just in case I still go for 058.

image.png.36902fc017b4619a55d2207dfbf21670.png

Edited by 97406
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

37066, first off, stunning light weathering, its dead subtle. Lovely work.

But the stand out feature for me are the front windscreens. Class 37/40 front screens are a really difficult feature, a lot of the manufactures dont quite hit the the spot for me (same issue with Peaks). But what you have done with 066 is spot on. Aftermarket glazing I presume? Very carefully fitted. Exemplary detailing work.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, TT100 Diesels said:

37066, first off, stunning light weathering, its dead subtle. Lovely work.

But the stand out feature for me are the front windscreens. Class 37/40 front screens are a really difficult feature, a lot of the manufactures dont quite hit the the spot for me (same issue with Peaks). But what you have done with 066 is spot on. Aftermarket glazing I presume? Very carefully fitted. Exemplary detailing work.

Thank you. 37066 is the new Accurascale 37 (another model of 37027) renumbered and the doors plated over. The screens are the originals. Both the Accurascale and new Bachmann 37s have got the screens correct for the first time ever. The Bachmann 37 does benefit from Laserglaze, though.

Thanks for the update, I am not fully up to date on the latest OO offerings, but sounds good that both manufactures have finally nailed it.

Unfortunately, I dont benefit from this as I have chosen a very awkward niche scale to run diesels, should have stayed with OO !

• RMweb Gold

I wasn't happy with the logo positions on 678 so re did them yesterday. On one side I scraped off the old transfer, rubbed down, resprayed the grey and reapplied the transfer and varnish. This side I just sprayed grey over the top then transfer and varnish. I also worked out how to make the paint finish shiny enough so the transfer adheres properly. A thinnish coat of thicker paint followed by a heavier coat of thinner paint.

20230706_054358.jpg

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

I love this reworking and I have been contemplating doing 37669 from a 430 in the same livery. The one thing I can’t find is the nose end head board clips. I don’t suppose you know if anyone who does them do you ? Also, how easy did the name plate come off 027 ? Just wondering if it leaves behind an impression . Also would the car head light be remount-able or is it knackered once you take it off the front ? 

I always appreciate the pioneers like yourself who aren’t afraid to be the first to calve up new models ! Great blog btw . 
Cheers , Ian 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, meanach said:

I love this reworking and I have been contemplating doing 37669 from a 430 in the same livery. The one thing I can’t find is the nose end head board clips. I don’t suppose you know if anyone who does them do you ? Also, how easy did the name plate come off 027 ? Just wondering if it leaves behind an impression . Also would the car head light be remount-able or is it knackered once you take it off the front ? 

I always appreciate the pioneers like yourself who aren’t afraid to be the first to calve up new models ! Great blog btw . 
Cheers , Ian 

For headboard clips, I would find a model with them on and use that 2 part silicone mould making putty to make moulds and use car body filler applied with a toothpick to get it in all the nooks and crannies. Flatten off as much as possible before it sets. Be prepared for a few failures and attach the decent ones with epoxy to allow repositioning. Clean off any excess off with IPA or white spirit after the epoxy has started to set.

There is a very faint ghost of the plates if you hold the loco to the light at the correct angle but they would varnish over if need be. I quite like the patchy finish on 066 as it helps the weathering. 

The light was cut off the original doors on 066 so could not be rescued and the doors themselves reside in the spares box as I plated it. I also have the correct number of rivets on it thanks to a swap. Railmatch blue needed a little yellow adding to make it match the shade Accurascale used.

20230707_130823.jpg

Edited by 97406
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1