Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Why are Hornby offering the Tornado trainset so cheaply?

AyJay

Never seen posts complaining about bargains before.... 😛

Probably just getting rid of old stock before Christmas. It's about the price it is elsewhere and I've seen it advertised for less in places like Argos.

It's Railroad standard with the old 1970s Pullmans. Great for a kid or starter.

Jason

• Agree 3
  • Funny 3

It's about the right money for buying a christmas present for some older kid who has not had any experiance of model railways other than perhaps tommy tank to get them into model railways without blowing your bank account. However we often refer to Hornby's Peppercorn A1 as turdnado which gives you some idea of what we think of the model!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, peteskitchen said:

It's about the right money for buying a christmas present for some older kid who has not had any experiance of model railways other than perhaps tommy tank to get them into model railways without blowing your bank account. However we often refer to Hornby's Peppercorn A1 as turdnado which gives you some idea of what we think of the model!

I take it that you are using the Royal we as I did a quick search of the term on RMweb and the internet in general and can find only one use on another forum.

• Like 1

It's a bargain but not so cheap as to be suspicious! If you are looking for an RTR set to get you started with everything to run a train included in the box, it's  a good buy. The Tornado may not be super-duper detail but is still a nice model and much better value than getting a set for not a lot less with one of the ubiquitous 0-4-0 locos.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The loco would retail at about £120 by itself.

The Pullman cars are about £25 each….. so even at Hornbys normal price you basically get the track and controller for nothing. Most model shops will be cheaper than the RRP by 10-15%.  

• RMweb Gold

I think that is the same set we bought for my dad for his birthday back in 2014/5 to keep him occupied after my mum passed away, it was from argos and I think the M part of the R number is used for sets made for the catalogue chains although I am sure someone will know this for sure. They are just shifting old stock in the time-honored way. The set back then was £99 via argos but that's inflation for you!

14 hours ago, AyJay said:

I think the title says it all...

Now £129.98

Ever on the lookout for a bargain, but I am left wondering why?  Is it worth having?

Probably have boxes of the things unsold in a warehouse.  Bought one for my son 3 years back it's not a bad set

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, AyJay said:

Ah Railroad!  Think I'll give it a wide berth.

See you all at The Great Electric Train Show this w/e,  I'll be drooling over the Pete Waterman layout.

Nothing wrong with a Railroad model & detailing/weathering it up!

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold

Another Hornby bargain is the GWR HST, at about £150. I'm not an expert on HSTs - although I've done many trips on them to or from places as far apart as Edinburgh and Penzance, so have a regard for their 'values'.  I have no doubt this Railroad model is short on detail, but it looks the biz, and a few extra cars to supplement the provided TSO (which has buffers for some reason) make it a fine model to have circulating. 

I saw it in the window of the Paignton Model Shop, but had no idea the price included track and a controller. Fine value to my mind. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Oldddudders said:

Another Hornby bargain is the GWR HST, at about £150. I'm not an expert on HSTs - although I've done many trips on them to or from places as far apart as Edinburgh and Penzance, so have a regard for their 'values'.  I have no doubt this Railroad model is short on detail, but it looks the biz, and a few extra cars to supplement the provided TSO (which has buffers for some reason) make it a fine model to have circulating. 

I saw it in the window of the Paignton Model Shop, but had no idea the price included track and a controller. Fine value to my mind. 

Word on caution on that one. The paint finish on the set is a little different to the GWR coaches. The HST and coach rather Matt and the coaches sold individually gloss.

Still looks ok though.
Matt

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Weeny Works said:

Nothing wrong with a Railroad model & detailing/weathering it up!

Quite, here's mine sort of backdated to York's Silurian.

2105318631_sil17.jpg.196876dfb4e59712c113afe3b3b2c738.jpg

It's since had its nameplates fitted.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 8