6 wheel coach chassis

• RMweb Premium

I got close to having a rolling Brassmasters chassis by lunchtime, but a couple of stupid mistakes on my part, early on in the build meant that I haven't. On the other hand I have done enough to say that the only limiting factor on the minimum radius is the available space between the solebars. I would say that a chassis build of less than 2 hours is achievable, not withstanding stupid mistakes.

I have a photo,  but time is not with me as I am going away this afternoon and won't be back until Monday to bring the file size down, suitable for posting here.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I had a few minutes to spare and managed to get one end sorted, but it looks like a no goer, looks to be less than a millimetre either side, when rotating the unit, I don't think that is going to be enough to attain a minimum radius of 3ft. I will see if there's a way of easing the solebars out a bit, otherwise it's back to the drawing board.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I  put the verniers over the Brassmasters W irons and got a measurement of 24mm and a gap of 25mm between the solebars, which at an actual 6ft 3in seems to be quite narrow, I will have to peruse volume 1 of the coach book, and see if there's any under frame info for 4/6 wheel chassis.

The job has now gone on a back burner, I need a couple of goods brakes.

Edited by Siberian Snooper
failure to add the mm dimension between the solebars.

On 15/10/2022 at 10:30, MikeTrice said:

The method I use is very simple. Eileen's GNR sprung w-irons for the outer axles, a MJT internal unit for the centre axle with a piece of lead as a weight and a length of N/S wire. The centre axle just goes along for the ride:

IMG_4158.JPG.50637503f090411804af96c80030f936.JPG

IMG_4166.JPG.46000c229065221280174a74418a0c62.JPG

Hi Mike, is that a Diagram 3D coach?

I found this picture

assembled_below.png.adcfc6029158e5187f46cde4ace61fb3.png

This the underside of a 6-wheel coach, made from two of the toy Hornby 4-wheelers, with a Brassmasters Cleminson chassis.

The advantage of this arrangement, I think, is that it can cope with very tight curves. I have some Fleischmann HO curves which I believe are a tighter than Hornby's smallest radius.

I added NEM pockets (made from brass channel) to the end wheel assemblies, so that the couplings are articulated.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 16/10/2022 at 22:46, Wheatley said:

This is the Bill Bedford system, the centre axle is a bit of 1mm brass rod turned to a point at each end on a mini drill, the wheels are mounted on a bit of 1mm ID 2mm OD tube (Albion Alloys BW10). The tube runs freely on the rod, I'm not sure the 'axle' is revolving at all but it all works. 

20221016_223554.jpg.c69f966fceac85a138725cfe47480c30.jpg

Brake rigging is also included, still to add. 

I have used this on several coaches.

it works but weight is essential and evenly distributed weight at that. about 25 g per axle at least.. on a couple of coaches I used this on two of three axles  still with weight and it was OK  my most recent experiment involve 1mm axle inside 2mm tube with guitar wire springing and waisted bearings on all three axles 25g over each axle ant the coach ran through 36" turnouts in EM gauge no worries. experiments are now curtailed due to house move and lack of BB kits.9 i think they can still be bought from ye internette thingy.

Thank you, that's useful. It's currently sitting on the 'to do' shelf weighted with piles of 2p pieces. If it all goes wrong there is at least the consolation that it's a breakdown train riding van and is going to spend most of its life parked in a siding !

• RMweb Premium
On 02/11/2022 at 19:15, TangoOscarMike said:

I found this picture

assembled_below.png.adcfc6029158e5187f46cde4ace61fb3.png

This the underside of a 6-wheel coach, made from two of the toy Hornby 4-wheelers, with a Brassmasters Cleminson chassis.

The advantage of this arrangement, I think, is that it can cope with very tight curves. I have some Fleischmann HO curves which I believe are a tighter than Hornby's smallest radius.

I added NEM pockets (made from brass channel) to the end wheel assemblies, so that the couplings are articulated.

Yes, it seems to me too that the Brassmasters can deal with extremely tight curves - in fact, I think the only limiting aspect is the clearance between the insides of the solebars...

• Like 1