Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Hornby Dublo 2023 Flying Scotsman.

Black 5 Bear

1 hour ago, R. Knowles said:

I remember as a small child going to FS at Steamtown, Carnforth (when the place was still open to the public) and riding behind it back and forth along a demonstration track with two coaches in tow, an recall how excited I felt at the time! 

Sometimes reading posts on this site makes you feel old😄 I remember seeing Flying Scotsman in regular service fairly regularly in the late 1950's, heading a mainline train out of Kings Cross. My regular spotting site was New Southgate station - bike parked next to the fence and me standing on the crossbar - those were the days.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 18/10/2022 at 19:13, eldomtom2 said:

I believe the NRM's opinion is that the rear two thirds of the frames at least are original, along with some other stuff that I can't remember quite now.

And of course, there's probably a lot more on it that predates 1963...

Builder's plate perhaps?

In Victorian times worn out locos were "rebuilt" rather than replaced when neessary - this was an accountancy fiddle because under rules then in place a new loco was "capital expenditure" with different treatment than a rebuild which wasn't.  The number plate might the only original part of the replacement engine  And if the works managed to fix up the old loco and keep it going, that got renumbered into a "duplicate list", commonly by adding a suffix of A to the number.

On 18/10/2022 at 16:59, scots region said:

I really don't understand why no one in Hornby has ever thought to make an Alan Pegler 4472 until now. A main range one would've practically levitated out of the shops.   

What I really (really) want is a Pegler 4472, with the second tender, but as it ran in the UK pre-America. For some reason Hornby only ever include the second tender as part of US related releases.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jammy2305 said:

What I really (really) want is a Pegler 4472, with the second tender, but as it ran in the UK pre-America. For some reason Hornby only ever include the second tender as part of US related releases.

Hopefully, H will retool the twin tender tooling.

The second tender, as fitted to the BR Bittern variant was equipped with the massive Triang Hornby style coupling, solid plastic buffer heads and a hook type coupling bar tender to tender fitting.

It's so dated now, it's embarrassing! 

Edited by Black 5 Bear
  • Agree 2

20 hours ago, Black 5 Bear said:

Hopefully, H will retool the twin tender tooling.

The second tender, as fitted to the BR Bittern variant was equipped with the massive Triang Hornby style coupling, solid plastic buffer heads and a hook type coupling bar tender to tender fitting.

It's so dated now, it's embarrassing! 

I've got a spare complete Hornby corridor tender chassis (plus another to provide buffer beam) and was hoping someone would do a 3D print of the current water carrier tender - they don't! I was then planning on making it out of plasticard, but its way down my to do list...!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

I've got a spare complete Hornby corridor tender chassis (plus another to provide buffer beam) and was hoping someone would do a 3D print of the current water carrier tender - they don't! I was then planning on making it out of plasticard, but its way down my to do list...!

NIU models do some 3D-printed water tenders, however, I don't know which versions. The Bittern one I think is one of them. 

• Informative/Useful 2

Thank you for the picture of the 'Flying Scotsman'.  The locomotive looked splendid in that livery and it hauled my train from Kings Cross to Keighley in 1969.

At £362.99 the Hornby Dublo 00 gauge 'Flying Scotsman' is more expensive than the Hattons Original 0 gauge 'Flying Scotsman' which is selling for £350 while the other Hattons A3s are £299.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

At £362.99 the Hornby Dublo 00 gauge 'Flying Scotsman' is more expensive than the Hattons Original 0 gauge 'Flying Scotsman' which is selling for £350 while the other Hattons A3s are £299.

I was thinking that myself earlier, whether I should cancel this and buy an O gauge one 😂

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, TomScrut said:

I was thinking that myself earlier, whether I should cancel this and buy an O gauge one 😂

May be worth looking at the  hattons(Heljan) thread before making a decision, especially if you intend to run it, would be a nice display model though! 

I got slightly carried away last month and bought... 

A little used Corgi Bassett Lowke A3, for more than £300!

• Like 1

On 26/10/2022 at 19:37, kernowtim said:

May be worth looking at the  hattons(Heljan) thread before making a decision, especially if you intend to run it, would be a nice display model though! 

I got slightly carried away last month and bought... 

A little used Corgi Bassett Lowke A3, for more than £300!

Aye it would be display, don't have any O gauge track let alone space to let an A3 stretch it's legs!

Edited by TomScrut
  • Like 2

On 26/10/2022 at 20:52, New Haven Neil said:

There were other, odd things at Carnforth back in those days.  Much bigger....and all in steam.  Sorry for the OT, a memory of a fantastic day!

scan0003.jpg.0a799b60a756937c5c15e36191a0b4be.jpg

scan0010.jpg.268817e9035f03a33bb80ae7bcb29bb8.jpg

I do recall seeing those as well! Though they were inside the sheds. :)

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, rogerzilla said:

Pegler UK one for me, but the price is 3x what I would consider reasonable, so they can go whistle.

I wouldn't say 3 times for me, if the quality and detail is up there with Hornby's best, but it's about €100 too expensive to my taste. I think you pay a lot 'for the name'. I have no idea how big FS is in the UK, but seeing the second hand ones going quite fast and not so cheap, these might sell. On the other hand, there's quite a lot of them. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Hilux5972 said:

I’m still quite astounded they haven’t taken the opportunity to put a 21 pin socket in this. 

As some other 8-Pin locos have changed to 21-Pin relatively late in the release process, this may be a wait and see moment

Interesting trying to understand the price point on this. Whereas most of my models are for running and using, this could actually work as a rare display model for me - a special 100th anniversary model of the most famous locomotive. Maybe I can make an exception I thought and have one of these as a treat and swallow the high price? 

HOWEVER, after seeing the recent price reduction on hattons o gauge A3s I now realise I can have a statement piece A3 to repent my favourite and the world's most famous loco for £300 (plus a little more to invest in names and numbers). So I bought one and it's amazing! A few little things here and there but it sure is impressive given its price. For me, this has put the Hornby price in perspective (and not in a good way) 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

Funny how it's £363, yet it's analogue, while the new-tool Prince of Wales is a much larger loco, DCC sound fitted and has a smoke generator, firebox flicker and illuminated headlamps- for over £70 less. I pre ordered the Era 11 preserved one, and I'm gonna cancel it and get Prince of Wales instead.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, bennickss said:

Funny how it's £363, yet it's analogue, while the new-tool Prince of Wales is a much larger loco, DCC sound fitted and has a smoke generator, firebox flicker and illuminated headlamps- for over £70 less. I pre ordered the Era 11 preserved one, and I'm gonna cancel it and get Prince of Wales instead.

Yes but the Scotsmen are the Dublo models and special editions. The Dublo models are more expensive anyway, and then the locos have to pay for the licence so hence more expensive than standard Dublo models. 

15 minutes ago, Hilux5972 said:

Yes but the Scotsmen are the Dublo models and special editions. The Dublo models are more expensive anyway, and then the locos have to pay for the licence so hence more expensive than standard Dublo models. 

Wouldn't Hornby already have the Hornby Dublo licences?