Is this a wagon?

NorthEndCab

Whilst out and about in the Peak District I came across this somewhat dilapidated goose house in a field at the top of a hill. 

It looks familiar but also not, and I was wondering if anyone with more skill in recognising old rolling stock would know if it is indeed a wagon or just a wagon-like structure?

Unfortunately I was unable to get a clear picture of the ends due to a rather territorial goat. 

Many thanks

2BE97749-1C64-4D3E-88DA-85EBD4DFA579.jpeg

6A9C581D-8ADB-44B6-A7C2-204E1B5D61BB.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, NorthEndCab said:

Whilst out and about in the Peak District I came across this somewhat dilapidated goose house in a field at the top of a hill. 

It looks familiar but also not, and I was wondering if anyone with more skill in recognising old rolling stock would know if it is indeed a wagon or just a wagon-like structure?

Unfortunately I was unable to get a clear picture of the ends due to a rather territorial goat. 

Many thanks

2BE97749-1C64-4D3E-88DA-85EBD4DFA579.jpeg

6A9C581D-8ADB-44B6-A7C2-204E1B5D61BB.jpeg

I think it is a horse box probably LMS design.

Andrew 

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Dave John said:

I'll go with it being an LMS rather than MR horsebox; the LMS ones inherited many design features from the Midland ones but were a foot longer at 21 ft over body, with a wider luggage compartment, having wider panels either side of the doors. The Railway Heritage Register Carriage Survey lists a good number of these, in various states of decay, but I haven't convinced myself of a match.

[Edit - not convinced by @Wickham Green too's identification unless the breeze block wall has been knocked down since the RHRCS photo was taken.]

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I wouldn't call that a horse box.

I think folk are saying it was a horse box.

28 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

Please don't tell me that you're looking for funds to restore it running order!

There are better candidates for restoration projects, given that there is a restored example of the same type:

http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=798.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, NorthEndCab said:

I see. The wall must have been demolished then. It doesn’t look like it would cope with being moved. 

Although it could be sturdier than it looks. 

Looking from the opposite direction? There is a breeze block construction nearer the road.

https://goo.gl/maps/pddVFHTx4ViS6gnd6

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Inspection of the aerial photo on Bing Maps suggests that http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=14921 faces onto a farm track at the south side of the Crossland Sides farmyard, whilst http://www.cs.rhrp.org.uk/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=15997, the subject of the photo under discussion, is at the north end of the farmyard. The two photos on the RHRP website are from the opposite side; the breeze block wall must have been removed between those two photos being taken, I now realise.

• Like 1

I understand that many horseboxes (certainly for racehorses) had 3 compartments.  One end had space for fodder, the middle was for the Geegees , and the other end was for groom/grooms.  Race horse owners and trainers were (and still are) very particular about the care & transport of these big smelly candidates for the dog meat factory.