RMweb

Southern Pride Class 312

Wolf27

The Southern Pride Models 310/312 EMU. This is a very well thought out brass and resin kit with some white metal parts. I’ve had this kit for a couple of years now and finally decided to give it a go. There were a couple of shortcomings that niggled at me,more which later, but it’s now been devalued by building it!

8420D282-A99F-478F-9439-8401F0A8722E.jpeg.b3477cd69e10dd488024c70b45b5dc1b.jpeg

First vehicle to be assembled is the trailer second. Preformed brass bodysides fitted very nicely on the resin shell, and sits on a fold up etched floor pan. It’s currently sat on Bachmann B4’s but will eventually have a full set of Replica Railways B5’s which are correct for the 312. The SPM bogies gave me some issues in getting the ride height correct, and making the unit look wrong, which I couldn’t work out why. More of this to come….

Edited by Wolf27
Added more text
  • Like 18
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

Looking very good.   Very interested to see how you get on as I have a couple of 310 kits in the stash.  When I looked at previous built up models on the web the coach bodies always looked like they were sitting too low on the bogies.

Cheers

Darius

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Darius43 said:

Looking very good.   Very interested to see how you get on as I have a couple of 310 kits in the stash.  When I looked at previous built up models on the web the coach bodies always looked like they were sitting too low on the bogies.

Cheers

Darius

That’s one of the niggles that I have addressed, I’ll explain later when I’m not at work.

As mentioned in the above post, if building the unit as per instructions, the body looks to be sat too low on the bogies. However if using the supplied Southern Pride bogies it will also sit too high when next to other stock. This poses a bit of an issue so call for a bit of surgery and a compromise. Part of the problem is the bodysides are too deep. I wasn’t really sure until the driving

coach was assembled where I found to root of the issue. Assuming the resin shell is correct, when the sides are fixed in place it’s noticeable that the brass sides come down too far by around 1mm. Not much but enough to make difference. I opted to remove 1mm or so from the bottom edge and think it makes a noticeable different. Also using the Bachmann B4’s helps. 

Before and after. Look at the difference between the resin and brass along the bottom edge.7CB1A782-2B8B-403B-B4AA-9DD0C525FE23.jpeg.e1c6fe445fd57542db09559b2f171d3c.jpeg06693C2C-FF29-4091-85F6-D90D1EB3433E.jpeg.e5deec3e59d0f8b40e4ff57a3445d986.jpeg

The small amount of bottom

edge being removed

9E2B25F7-C58F-4B1F-822D-8840F02EA575.jpeg.65d54de14302a77ec9c12aa9454c17e0.jpeg

Edited by Wolf27
Added text and photo
  • Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 1

The height difference between unmodified and modified. Ignore the filler! I appreciate it’s hard to spot what’s been done but I guess that part of the illusion!

6D2E7F14-7D6E-4EFD-89A4-C14C0EA51588.jpeg

BBEAB1A6-C621-4300-A8E8-E9F3F90B7423.jpeg

Edited by Wolf27
  • Like 10

On 19/10/2022 at 07:01, Darius43 said:

Cheers

Darius

That would possibly explain why the box art photos on the two SP Mk2 kits currently sitting on my desk doesn't look quite right (and/or the grey window panels on the sides being too shallow). There's a surprisingly large gap between a B4 bogie and the coach body, from some angles you can see the top of the bogie.

They are really nice kits though. Looking forward to seeing this build. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Progress has slowed a little with time spent reshaping the headcode boxes. It’s nearly there and a start has been made on the underframe details, however it looks like I will have to make the transformer as it doesn’t appear to be included in the kit. The underframe parts on the MBS will need to be done again as the look a bit wonky.0C3B2840-4860-45B8-9215-ED6125073F1A.jpeg.d00ad4a6482e18fb67f4b76565bb1404.jpeg6E305DCE-3982-406E-B578-975F90EEB863.jpeg.369581d78f47b075a4501e3eb8fb28dc.jpeg

Edited by Wolf27
Correcting gibberish
  • Like 18

Starting to look good , what will you power it with ? 
I have an MTK one started some time ago when black beetles were available, and took an easy bogie route using early  Lima mk2’s with smaller diameter wheels, which although not entirely accurate provide a nice ride height and easy to mount into the floor.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 47164 said:

Starting to look good , what will you power it with ? 
I have an MTK one started some time ago when black beetles were available, and took an easy bogie route using early  Lima mk2’s with smaller diameter wheels, which although not entirely accurate provide a nice ride height and easy to mount into the floor.

This is powered by a rewheeled Bachmann MLV drive train in the Panto vehicle.

• Informative/Useful 1

The 312 made its first proper test runs at the weekend but was found to be lacking power, limiting its usefulness. It was powered by Bachmann MLV drivetrain gubbins but kept slipping on my gradients. On Sunday afternoon I stripped all that out and repowered it with a central motor and two Hornby HST power bogies. What a different that has made and this is without any extra weight added.

Class 312 test run
https://youtu.be/uTYx2yhDcfM

• Like 7
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Premium

Really pleased to see someone making one of these.  I also have an MTK 310/312 with some Lima Mk2Bs set aside for them to be built around, but considering the reputation of MTK kits vs. my skills and experience, it's about #94 on my to-do list.  I'll have to see it Southern Pride do the motor bogie sideframes separately.

• 3 months later...

What a nice build, are you going to try and put lights in and on it?. I'm having a Class 310 made by Britannia Pacific models and he doesn't want to get involved in the lighting issue which means I'm gonna have to try and figure out a way to lighting it to try and make it look better but I wouldn't be able to do the Domino head code and the destination blinds Just purely because of the way that he makes his models. Kind regards, Chris.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...