Sending Ebay Parcels with Royal Mail

RFS

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Having just discovered Royal Mail is cheaper online I'm wondering what the best option is (indicative price for a small parcel)

Tracked 48         £3.29

Signed for 2nd class        £4.19

Tracked 48 with signature         £4.49

I assume the difference between the bottom 2 is just the speed - ie pot luck or 48 hours. These both have up to £150 compensation

With the tracked 48, if you know its been delivered is that enough to cover you from dodgy buyers? 

Bear in mind also that the price for Tracked 48 varies by weight. For, example, it's £3.29 for up to 500g, £3.45 for up to 1kg etc.

When the parcel has been delivered with this service, you get proof of delivery in the form of a photo - usally the item in the recipient's hands.  It's all good enough for Ebay.

When it asks for the recipient's email adress for notifications, I just enter mine. If the recipient wants to know the status they can check online at Royal Mail (or via Ebay) with the tracking number which I always enter when I mark the item dispatched. 

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, RFS said:

When it asks for the recipient's email adress for notifications, I just enter mine. If the recipient wants to know the status they can check online at Royal Mail (or via Ebay) with the tracking number which I always enter when I mark the item dispatched. 

Yes, exactly what I had just done.

Ta and thanks to all for advice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

It used to be easy. I cant find it now!

I can't comment on the app, but on the website select 'View Order Details'  and when that open up, under the 'Order' panel on the right hand side there is dropdown for 'Show contact info' 

On 01/08/2023 at 21:25, RFS said:

Bear in mind also that the price for Tracked 48 varies by weight. For, example, it's £3.29 for up to 500g, £3.45 for up to 1kg etc.

Online or at the PO?

Online, small parcel is the same price (£3.29) up to the 2kg limit. Some services (e.g., special delivery) vary by weight. None of the services are £3.45 for 1Kg

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
59 minutes ago, Crosland said:

Online or at the PO?

Online, small parcel is the same price (£3.29) up to the 2kg limit. Some services (e.g., special delivery) vary by weight. None of the services are £3.45 for 1Kg

Royal Mail seem to have changed their prices.  On 31st May I sent a parcel tracked 48 which weighed 750g and was charged £3.45.   500g parcels were costing £3.35.  Just checked the RM website and it seems it's now £3.29 for up to 2kg.  Parcel I sent last week was also charged £3.29.

You can buy postage online and take the parcel to the post office rather than have the postie collect it. There's no additional charge for that. I don't know what the prices are if you take the parcel to the Post Office and pay there. 

23 hours ago, RFS said:

Royal Mail seem to have changed their prices.  On 31st May I sent a parcel tracked 48 which weighed 750g and was charged £3.45.   500g parcels were costing £3.35.  Just checked the RM website and it seems it's now £3.29 for up to 2kg.  Parcel I sent last week was also charged £3.29.

You can buy postage online and take the parcel to the post office rather than have the postie collect it. There's no additional charge for that. I don't know what the prices are if you take the parcel to the Post Office and pay there. 

They now charge you 16p extra if bought online to drop it at a post office. I believe collection, parcel postbox and dropping it at a sorting office are still free. So it looks cheaper until you click post office and then it adds on 16p per parcel. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

I am lucky that I have a Post Office in walking distance from my home. I don't mind paying that little bit extra using the Post Office staff as they determine the price, so the buyer never gets an unwanted notice from the Royal Mail demanding an extra payment as the incorrect postage was used. Plus I have a record of the item in the postal system, and with bank branches closing its in my interest to keep the Post Office running

4 hours ago, Feoffee2 said:

They now charge you 16p extra if bought online to drop it at a post office. I believe collection, parcel postbox and dropping it at a sorting office are still free. So it looks cheaper until you click post office and then it adds on 16p per parcel. 

Collection is still free until later this month. It was extended last time it was due to expire. There's a footnote on one of the pages when you book and pay on line with the exact date.

RM reduced the on-line price of small parcel 1st class earlier this year (from £3.95 to £3.69). I suspect it may be in anticipation of adding the collection charge back on.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 04/08/2023 at 18:12, Crosland said:

Collection is still free until later this month. It was extended last time it was due to expire. There's a footnote on one of the pages when you book and pay on line with the exact date.

It looks like the free collection has been extended further.   When I booked a collection earlier this week, I'm sure it still said free collection until 15th August 2023.    Just looked again this evening and it now appears to say collection is free until 23:59 on 31st January 2024.

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, cessna152towser said:

It looks like the free collection has been extended further.   When I booked a collection earlier this week, I'm sure it still said free collection until 15th August 2023.    Just looked again this evening and it now appears to say collection is free until 23:59 on 31st January 2024.

The deadline has been extended like this more times than I can remember ....

• Like 1

What I find annoying is when eBay message you that the item is in the post when someone buys a label, recently a seller took 2 days to buy a postage label then took a further 3 days to put it into the system. Quite often I get a message on a Sunday night "your item has been posted" clearly unless it fits into a letter box it has not. 

An item has only been posted when it enters the postal system, not when someone buys a stamp !!!

"verb past tense: posted; past participle: posted"

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

What I find annoying is when eBay message you that the item is in the post when someone buys a label, recently a seller took 2 days to buy a postage label then took a further 3 days to put it into the system. Quite often I get a message on a Sunday night "your item has been posted" clearly unless it fits into a letter box it has not. 

Yes indeed.   Even more annoying that several days later eBay now e-mails a reminder that you have not yet left feedback on this purchase.

As a purchaser I refuse to leave feedback before I have received the item.

Edited by cessna152towser

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, hayfield said:

An item has only been posted when it enters the postal system, not when someone buys a stamp !!!

"verb past tense: posted; past participle: posted"

I use Tracked 24/48 online for all my sales. As soon as I do so, I get given a tracking number which I then enter into Ebay, and Ebay then marks the item as dispatched. If seller wants to know the status they can check online at Royal Mail, and the status will initially show "tracking number provided". The item is ready for RM to collect from me next delivery, which is much the same as me having posted it in a letter box where the collection might not be till the following day.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

6 hours ago, RFS said:

I use Tracked 24/48 online for all my sales. As soon as I do so, I get given a tracking number which I then enter into Ebay, and Ebay then marks the item as dispatched. If seller wants to know the status they can check online at Royal Mail, and the status will initially show "tracking number provided". The item is ready for RM to collect from me next delivery, which is much the same as me having posted it in a letter box where the collection might not be till the following day.

And on checking it still states its dispatched, I have no issue with sellers who quickly put the item in the post, my annoyance is with both eBay and sellers who abuse the system by artificially getting it recorded as dispatched when in fact it is still with them for days.

No one can post parcels into a letter box, so its not the same as its not in the system !!! As far as I am concerned means its in the system and on its way, not sitting in the sellers premises  I realise in most places its time limited ( closed evenings and Sundays)  

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, hayfield said:

No one can post parcels into a letter box, so its not the same as its not in the system

eBay tells lies when it says as soon as you print off the postage label that your item is being posted.

At that point I try to make a habit of messaging buyers to clarify that their item is packed and "will be taken to the post office tomorrow" or "collection has been booked for tomorrow".

Edited by cessna152towser
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, cessna152towser said:

eBay tells lies when it says as soon as you print off the postage label that your item is being posted.

At that point I try to make a habit of messaging buyers to clarify that their item is packed and "will be taken to the post office tomorrow" or "collection has been booked for tomorrow".

eBay's Packlink system auto fills the consignment number (very handy) and therefore marks it as dispatched. Clearly if that's 10.30 on a Saturday night - which happens sometimes - the earliest the carrier will collect is Monday. My stated dispatch window is three working days but I usually manage same or next day - under promise, over deliver. I'm fortunate in having a Post Office, drop off points and lockers all within a 15 minute walk.

Like @cessna152towser , I email the buyer but only when the parcel has actually been dropped off, including a photo of the parcel as added proof. It also helps the search if the parcel goes astray which has proved useful on more than one occasion. My email advises them to check the relevant carrier's app, as they often contain different or more detail than the feed to eBay, including delivery confirmation photos or GPS locations.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

You can undo the despatched status.

We live in a world obsessed with everyone doing as little as possible so things invariably get automated and only rarely is it actually any better.

We can rise as one to tear down a statue but we don't do anything about, say, a machine answering a customer service phone line, even though absolutely everyone thinks it's dreadful.

I'm convinced future historians (histobots) will look back on this as a time when society regressed (bit like the post Romans).

Anyway happy Sunday!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

It's all good stuff but there is always the human element.     Some post offices have a death wish and open 9 to 5.  Mon Fri and half day Saturday.  Our nearest shuts during August.     I find 2nd class  proof of posting  adequate I like to message the purchaser as soon as I despatch anything saying its on its way.
Real problem is recipients.  Argos must have a nice little sideline in selling stuff they receive for customers and then "Lose"   Maybe its not the firm just the staff, anyway I won't send to Argos or  Corner shops. because too much goes missing.

My Piece de resistance.  Bloke orders this thing.   I send it. His wife  gets it from the corner shop and returns it because it's not what SHE want's.. Its what HE ordered. Total exasperation but  I suppose  It's Mr and Mrs Head's son Richard doing his stuff again.

On 12/08/2023 at 17:58, hayfield said:

And on checking it still states its dispatched, I have no issue with sellers who quickly put the item in the post, my annoyance is with both eBay and sellers who abuse the system by artificially getting it recorded as dispatched when in fact it is still with them for days.

No one can post parcels into a letter box, so its not the same as its not in the system !!! As far as I am concerned means its in the system and on its way, not sitting in the sellers premises  I realise in most places its time limited ( closed evenings and Sundays)  

In fairness, once you buy postage from eBay is automatically marks it as despatched. 

I always try to despatch parcels within a few hours of printing labels, simply as I don't like to print the label and then find I've sold something else before I go to the post office.

Also, bear in mind our local post office is open 7AM-8PM most days, and closes early at 7PM on Sundays. In theory I could despatch something at 6.30PM on a Sunday night, and indeed I have done so before in the same walk as collecting a takeaway!

I do agree however that sellers shouldn't mark an item despatched if they have no intention of sending it immediately.

On a few occasions I've had a buyer ask me to delay despatch until they are back from holidays. In those circumstances I mark it despatched (and tell the buyer I have not posted it yet) as otherwise eBay marks it against your seller performance.

Edited by Tofufi
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

For me, most items I sell will fit in the postbox that conveniently is right outside my door.

I don't use ebays postage buying system as I don't trust it so use good old fashioned postage stamps and clear printed address labels instead.

For me, I mark as dispatched when it goes in the postbox, of course when it gets collected from there is another matter entirely outside of my control.

Post Office opening hours in the area area are reducing rapidly now.  The whole (idiotic) idea of taking proper purpose built post offices and shoving them in completely unsuitable retail locations only had the one benefit of longer opening hours including Sunday's.  All gone now, all of them around here are closed most of Saturday and all day Sunday now.

4 hours ago, John M Upton said:

For me, most items I sell will fit in the postbox that conveniently is right outside my door.

I don't use ebays postage buying system as I don't trust it so use good old fashioned postage stamps and clear printed address labels instead.

For me, I mark as dispatched when it goes in the postbox, of course when it gets collected from there is another matter entirely outside of my control.

Post Office opening hours in the area area are reducing rapidly now.  The whole (idiotic) idea of taking proper purpose built post offices and shoving them in completely unsuitable retail locations only had the one benefit of longer opening hours including Sunday's.  All gone now, all of them around here are closed most of Saturday and all day Sunday now.

John

I am much the same as you, the post office is just round the corner and as its in a CooP it used to be open when the shop was open (even Sundays). However like everywhere the hours have been reduced which is fine for me, I usually end items early Sunday evening and post Monday lunchtime/early afternoon, today 5 small items sold last payment received at lunchtime all posted by 2.30. I then message all buyers confirming the item has been sent and even already received  3 replies in half an hour

In our village had the CooP not taken over the Post Office we would not have had one, it works very well and always busy with packets/parcels and internet shopping returns, plus doubles up as a bank which is another bonus as Barclays closed 6 years ago, Has good parking which is useful in bad weather or when several large items have sold.  Most of the banks even in Maldon now have closed so the Post Offices are becoming a lifeline

Edit

I seem to have very polite buyers this week, 4 out of 5 have replied to my message that their items are in the post !!

Edited by hayfield
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just had a slight hiccup with this service. Not an Ebay sale but the return of a class 71 loco to Hornby under warranty as a running issue has arisen due to a faulty PCB.

Booked it online using Tracked24 last Friday (as that provides £150 insurance) and postie collected it on Saturday morning. Got an email on Sunday from RM saying "we have your item" and that it was due to be delivered today. Sunday? No, surely not. Looked at the tracking and it said it was still at Nottingham Mail Centre.

Didn't hear anything on Monday that it had been delivered (you get one when it has), so checked the tracking and found it had been successfully received at Carlisle MC. What? That's a long way from Kent. Later on Tuesday the message had been updated to say "sorry, it's been misdirected" and late on Wednesday night it was at Medway MC having been there since 4.50am on Tuesday. Same status Thursday morning, but when I checked later it said it has been delivered at 10.15am on Tuesday. Never had any messages since Sunday, nor was there the usual proof of delivery on the tracking page.

Called Hornby and they confirmed it arrived Tuesday morning. Looks like a one-off glitch - glad it wasn't an Ebay sale to a picky buyer though!

• Friendly/supportive 1