Jamie Goodman sounds - further info sought.

Solo

• RMweb Premium

Having listened to - and been impressed by - some of the various Jamie Goodman sound videos I was wondering if there was a website for more details on these?  One or two of the retailers' sites seem to say that they'll supply them but I can't find any more info on function lists, decoder type etc.  Any pointers would be be much appreciated.

His sounds used to be available via the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway, via their e bay store.  I have just checked and cannot see his sounds advertised on the site, and also no longer mentioned on  the C&PR railway website.

I think he is now employed by Accurascale to produce sounds for their locos, so it is possible his own sounds are no longer available. 

I think Road & Rails can provide his sounds as an option if you buy the sound decoder from them.    

Edited by Gopher

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Gopher said:

His sounds used to be available via the Chinnor and Princes Risborough Railway, via their e bay store.  I have just checked and cannot see his sounds advertised on the site, and also no longer mentioned on  the C&PR railway website.

I think he is now employed by Accurascale to produce sounds for their locos, so it is possible his own sounds are no longer available. 

I think Road & Rails can provide his sounds as an option if you buy the sound decoder from them.    

Thanks - yeah, the C&PR rings a bell, I also remember that part of the website.  Roads and Rails do offer the sounds but give no details of what the sound file contains/functions etc, I did email asking that question but haven't heard back.  If Accurascale have indeed snapped him up then I guess that's another endorsement of how good the sound files are.

• RMweb Gold

I have installed three Jamie Goodman sound projects - classes 17, 25 and 33. The class 25 (which I’ve actually installed in a class 24) and the class 33 sounds are both excellent, each has an impressive cold start feature and they replicate the range and depth of the Sulzer sound convincingly, especially when running at slow speed.
Disappointingly, I found his sound project for the class 17 not as good. The sound reproduction is spoilt by a low level background sound which appears to affect the clarity of the (twin) engine sound. Despite having two speakers installed in this loco (2W / 4ohms) I had to reduce the maximum volume level to keep the background sound from being so intrusive.

The range of functions is not as comprehensive as those of a Legomanbiffo sound project, for example none of the three projects are set up with active braking and the sound to accompany this action. Which is a shame as all of the projects are loaded onto Loksound 5 decoders which allow three different braking actions to be set up.

Like all sound projects they need to be paired up with decent sized speakers to extract the best possible sound.

Both Roads & Rails and Digitrains have videos of Jamie Goodman / Engineman sound installs on YouTube.

Edited by Soul Survivor
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Hi All

As it currently stands, my sounds are predominantly available via Richard Croft (Roads and Rails) but Digitrains do indeed sell my sounds under the Engineman banner. If you want smoke in your locos, TRS Trains also sell my files set up for smoke.

Difference between the Engineman range and Files via Richard/ Roads and Rails is that the Engineman sound files are engineered slightly more to provide a brake function whereas R&R sell what Chinnor Railway used to sell which was a sound file aimed at those who wanted a realistic file and operation without the need to press a button to slow it down.

My sounds will eventually be available via my own page once supply issues are resolved.

Accurascale have indeed snapped me up to produce sound files for all of their future sound fitted locos, but that doesn't mean I have stopped creating my own files. Admittedly, I have slowed down with file production but that was due to Covid restrictions and baby twins arriving soon after. A VP185 HST is next to be produced....

Cheers

Jamie

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 2

23 hours ago, gooderz said:

Hi All

As it currently stands, my sounds are predominantly available via Richard Croft (Roads and Rails) but Digitrains do indeed sell my sounds under the Engineman banner. If you want smoke in your locos, TRS Trains also sell my files set up for smoke.

Difference between the Engineman range and Files via Richard/ Roads and Rails is that the Engineman sound files are engineered slightly more to provide a brake function whereas R&R sell what Chinnor Railway used to sell which was a sound file aimed at those who wanted a realistic file and operation without the need to press a button to slow it down.

My sounds will eventually be available via my own page once supply issues are resolved.

Accurascale have indeed snapped me up to produce sound files for all of their future sound fitted locos, but that doesn't mean I have stopped creating my own files. Admittedly, I have slowed down with file production but that was due to Covid restrictions and baby twins arriving soon after. A VP185 HST is next to be produced....

Cheers

Jamie

I have to say i was dissapointed with the class 20 jamie goodman soundfile i had from richard at roads and rails and returned it to be reblown to a different sound file.

I felt the startup was way to long and instead of having to use a function key to disable it it should be the other way round, enable if you want to sit there for what felt like forever. I felt the actual engine sounds, espcially as the loco moved off was poor. There was no active brake which was dissapointing also and finally the horns were weak and 'hissy'

As for accurascale, having heard the 37 sound they are doing then that really is good i cant wait for mine

Edited by meatloaf

The Class 20 file was recorded from a poorly class 20 that had governor issues thus wasnt loading up right and had weak horns. I replicate on the file how the loco I recorded behaved and sounded. Any of my files can have active brakes if requested.

5 hours ago, gooderz said:

The Class 20 file was recorded from a poorly class 20 that had governor issues thus wasnt loading up right and had weak horns. I replicate on the file how the loco I recorded behaved and sounded. Any of my files can have active brakes if requested.

Doh, it really did sound poorly so in that case it was accurate