RMweb

Adblock issues

On 21/11/2022 at 23:32, maq1988 said:

Then blame the algorithms used to generate the adverts, that's beyond Andy's control.

That's the big problem. What relevance do ads for Rubbermaid and Boohoo have on RMWeb? Even Farnell and Arrow must be marginal for most members. Then there are the ads that cover the whole screen on a small laptop.

I don't mind disabling my ad-blocker for a site I Really want to view but this latest change has ruined RMWeb for me.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Crosland said:

That's the big problem. What relevance do ads for Rubbermaid and Boohoo have on RMWeb? ...

They're highly relevant in that they help pay for RMweb. 

I suppose that in an ideal world we would all either be paying for gold membership with all its additional benefits or, like me, the premium option at only twelve quid a year for an ad free experience. However, I think it's admirable that there's also a no direct cost alternative, particularly in difficult financial times like these, to enable access for all, the quid pro quo being that adverts appear on this option. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, Crosland said:

That's the big problem. What relevance do ads for Rubbermaid and Boohoo have on RMWeb? Even Farnell and Arrow must be marginal for most members. Then there are the ads that cover the whole screen on a small laptop.

I don't mind disabling my ad-blocker for a site I Really want to view but this latest change has ruined RMWeb for me.

Boohoo are ok, but I'd always shop a size larger.  As for Rubbermaid, never heard of them.  Are they like LatexLadies?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Crosland said:

Your call of course but you've had 15 years usage and over 2,700 posts. Obviously I don't know how much time you spend here and the value that you place on it but I wouldn't say the cost of Premium is that prohibitive if you want an ad-free experience. A pound a month, barely more than thrupence a day. I recognise that, especially these days, we have to give good value and, no, I'm not going to work for nothing.

• Friendly/supportive 9

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Neil said:

They're highly relevant in that they help pay for RMweb. 

I suppose that in an ideal world we would all either be paying for gold membership with all its additional benefits or, like me, the premium option at only twelve quid a year for an ad free experience. However, I think it's admirable that there's also a no direct cost alternative, particularly in difficult financial times like these, to enable access for all, the quid pro quo being that adverts appear on this option. 

I think it is excellent that Warners have allowed an ad free version for £1 a month. Don't know if it makes business sense but great for punters IMHO.

Personally I use Gold as it means I get BRM and Traction mags for free (those 2 alone to buy is more than Gold), plus 4 other magazine subscriptions and no ads for £50 a year. And a free show ticket, and I've sold stuff via the classifieds for free. Freaking bargain in my view. I only raised the adblock issue as I am a full monte paying punter, soon sorted, great service.

• Like 3

I posted on a new topic as it was a specific fault but I am getting the bottom banner blocking the multiquote button now. I have found that the only way to deal with this is to turn on ad blocking, which obstructs the screen but reveals the button, and then turn it off again. Any other suggestions (apart from the paid-for site?)

Edited by andyman7

• RMweb Premium

I am getting blank spaces between topics and forum section headers where ads would be since sometime yesterday.  Tried logging out and back in but they are still there.

Edited by John M Upton

I guess this is one for Andy,

Normally I stay well out of these discussions, but I do have a question.

Is it the intention in future to feature pop up adverts (particularly videos as is currently the case) that can not be closed?

Many thanks.

Edited by bude_branch

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

I guess this is one for Andy,

Normally I stay well out of these discussions, but I do have a question.

Is it the intention in future to feature pop up adverts (particularly videos as is currently the case) that can not be closed?

Many thanks.

My guess is, that is something that is out of Andy's control, even with a very large hammer .........

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

Sometimes; maybe. Sometimes not. It all depends on the ad-techies.

Intentional? Who knows.

I recommend becoming a Premium member if it's an issue.

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Intentional? Who knows.

Ahhh the ad-techies, the hybrid offshoot of an IT techie, but with a bigger ego " we're in advertising dontcha know" Hard to pin down, bloody impossible to actually get an answer from, and as with all Techies did what THEY  knew you really asked for not what you THOUGHT you asked for, and when you gently ask them to change it to what you THOUGHT you had actually asked for, they get in a huff and put you on their ignore list 

Enough to drive you to drink Andy

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

• Moderators
28 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Ahhh the ad-techies, the hybrid offshoot of an IT techie, but with a bigger ego " we're in advertising dontcha know" Hard to pin down, bloody impossible to actually get an answer from, and as with all Techies did what THEY  knew you really asked for not what you THOUGHT you asked for, and when you gently ask them to change it to what you THOUGHT you had actually asked for, they get in a huff and put you on their ignore list 

Much chuckling (for an extended period of time) at this end; you wouldn't believe how accurate that is!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Much chuckling (for an extended period of time) at this end; you wouldn't believe how accurate that is!

My Son is in IT, 😉. AND I've long and extensive dealings with em myself throughout my life 🤦‍♂️

Edit to Add yes I have very nearly been driven to beat one to death with his own keyboard !

Edited by Matt C
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AY Mod said:

Intentional? Who knows.

Thanks Andy,

My concern is that the present pop up arrangements will put off new members who, when they first come across the site, will know nothing about being a Premium Member and may not stay long enough to find out.

• Agree 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

My concern is that the present pop up arrangements will put off new members who, when they first come across the site, will know nothing about being a Premium Member and may not stay long enough to find out.

It's all a balancing act; I do have the benefit of looking at Analytics to measure visits, visit durations and number of page views to get some facts behind it and what affects it vs. ad revenue.

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, bude_branch said:

Thanks Andy,

Hmmm now here's an idea, an annoying pop up add that says, " buy premium now and you wont see any more of these annoying popup adds !"     Genious !!! 🤓

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's all a balancing act; I do have the benefit of looking at Analytics to measure visits, visit durations and number of page views to get some facts behind it and what affects it vs. ad revenue.

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the further info.  I suppose if you're not worried about it, then I shouldn't be either.

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, nick_bastable said:

bit the bulliet and paid the £12 although registration is a bit of a flaff

Now Nick, if they made it TOO easy you wouldn't get that warm fuzzy feeling when Andy waves his magic wand and those pesky Adds finally disappear 🤗

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, kevinlms said:

Here's one Andy can perhaps fix.

The go to the top of the page icon is there, but clicking on it does nothing!

Seems to work OK on other pages, just not this one.

Now working OK, Thanks for fixing it Andy. If you didn't and it fixed itself - who knows...