Adblock issues

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, TonyMay said:

The ads are really irritating, and if the intention is to drive people away from your website because they're costing you bandwidth, then it's the right approach.

Andy has already stated that he is less than happy with the size of the Crypto ad and has expressed his displeasure to the Ad department at Warners. Remember Andy has no direct control of these ads, all he can do is get his Sh!tty stick out to try to beat sense into them. 

Premium is a quid a month and helps to support this great resource and makes the google ads etc go away.

• Agree 10

Binance was banned from all regulated activity in the UK last year by the FCA over serious concerns about safety of customers given the complexity of its offered investments, fraud and money laundering risks and lack of customer protection, so anything it does here now is knowingly entirely unregulated. I also have a suspicion that it is not acceptable in the UK to have advertisements masquerading as news reports - perhaps we should ask the ASA?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

perhaps we should ask the ASA?

It's being addressed (just been in an hour-long meeting over this and several other things) so just put your fishing rod away; you have the choice of going ad-free for £12 a year - it would save you having to keep having a pop.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

It's being addressed (just been in an hour-long meeting over this and several other things) so just put your fishing rod away; you have the choice of going ad-free for £12 a year - it would save you having to keep having a pop.

Did you ? Did you ?? Go on please tell me you did. 👨‍🌾

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, Matt C said:

Did you ? Did you ?? Go on please tell me you did. 👨‍🌾

In spades.

I told them what my Christmas list to Santa was as a deadline.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

16 hours ago, AY Mod said:

My conscience is not for sale. My paying for ad-free would not affect what anyone else, registered or not, adult or child, aware of the risks of crypto currencies or not, will see when accessing this site - you do realise that these ads are visible to everyone who accesses the site, unless they are registered and paying for ad-free, and those who are not registered users have no opt-out available to them? Ads I can live with, but I expect some sort of social responsibility in their selection.

Edited by Cwmtwrch
  • Like 2
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 1

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Cwmtwrch said:

you do realise that these ads... blah, blah

Of course I do; don't talk to me like I'm stupid. I've already told you it's being dealt with.

• Friendly/supportive 3

• Moderators
19 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

Andy, Thank you, Thank you, so far today I am ad and popup free, very much appreciated. 

They will be back but, I sincerely hope, far better implemented and targetted.

19 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

I do hope your stick has a very big head on it!

It was more a case of my head having a big gob.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, Cwmtwrch said:

Ads I can live with, but I expect some sort of social responsibility in their selection.

Somehow, I don't imagine that Andy - or anyone else connected with Warners - would exactly choose to have ads like the ones you describe polluting their website.

Unfortunately, some people, somewhere, make a business of attacking other people's sites - forcing website owners etc to dedicate lots of time to trying to frustrate their efforts.

Whilst on the subject of "dedication", I could imagine that a number of legitimate website owners might welcome any chance to "dedicate certain ads to" the jerks responsible. Of course, the word "dedicate" is used here in the Anglo Saxon sense - of "roughly inserting" the ads ... errm ... somewhere the sun doesn't shine.

And on that bombshell, I'm certain that Andy likes that stuff even less than we do - not only does he not like it - but he's also got to instigate steps to deal with it.

I hope we can all realise this - and give him a break.

Thanks, guys.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I haven't seen an ad on RMweb for a few days. I think they stopped appearing about the time the wish list poll banner appeared?  Are we having a Christmas grace period?

Pity the wish-list poll making it's annual appearance, hasn't stopped wish list threads thinly veiled as general topics popping up elsewhere on RMweb.

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, Porcy Mane said:

Pity the wish-list poll making it's annual appearance, hasn't stopped wish list threads thinly veiled as general topics popping up elsewhere on RMweb.

But my wishes are more important than the hundreds/thousands of those who just do the sensible thing. I expect someone else to interpret and prioritise my wishes. ;)

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/12/2022 at 07:23, Michael Hodgson said:

I thought the new King was supposed to be cutting down on the number of Royal hangers-on, and whilst I'm not opposed to the monarchy, I feel we could manage without the Duke & Duchess of California.

But we will continue to see/hear from them, while they continue to make millions from their story of how they felt 'forced' to leave the UK - endlessly.

• Agree 1