The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

PC Speakers

gwrrob

• RMweb Gold

I'm after a new pair of speakers for my desktop PC and being out of touch on whats available wondered what I should go for.As someone who likes to play cds with some welly I need some decent wattage.Do I get just a pair of speakers or do I need the subwoofer system too ?

For someone of my age (coming up to bus pass time) I've given up on all the surround and sophistication and use http://www.logitech....ers/devices/214 I have them at home and on each of the office PCs.

This said my tastes are based round Radio 3 without the jazz. And I have an aversion to music of a volume that does not allow me to think.

Out of interest, has anyone been able to adapt Bose speakers for PC use without having to take out a second mortgage?

Part 1 - yes - we've done it in all the teaching rooms via mixers and switches

Part 2 - no - the reason being the mixers and switches

Part 3 - which you didn't ask - they sound crap - the probable reason being the mixers, switches and associated spaghetti.

Part 1 - yes - we've done it in all the teaching rooms via mixers and switches

Part 2 - no - the reason being the mixers and switches

Part 3 - which you didn't ask - they sound crap - the probable reason being the mixers, switches and associated spaghetti.

Mixers etc. should have no sound of their own. My experience of Bose speakers would put the blame with them (Try inserting 'bose' into a German translator.) But speakers are a very personal thing. The advice was always to go and listen before buying - not so easy these days.

• RMweb Gold

I'd recommend these Acoustic Energy ones - http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/Product_range/Aego_series/Aego_M.asp

They would be excellen as PC speakers but I use them in the kitchen. Very good performance for the money.

Julian

Very nice Julian but I didn't want to spend that much.

I was about to reccomend a pair of Genelecs, but at over £500 per pair, they might not be quite what you are looking for...

I have a Sony Sub / Sat system. You can change the level of the sub and they have a headphone socket on one of the Sats, so no searching on the floor for the mini jack socket !

They look good as well, with the sats sitting in perspex surrounds.

Only a few watts RMS, but more than loud enough in an average room.

I think they were about £30.

I'm surprisingly satisfied with the NZ$100 Logitech X-530 5.1 set I have attached to my PC. I have a little cubby in which my desk sits, in that environment they can give a remarkably full sound, and you can get desk-rattling bass off the sub if such is your taste. I tend to have the sub turned almost right down though, for a good mix. Don't get me wrong, I'd like a hifi set up, but that sort of spending is reserved for the main living room.

Archived