BBC News Website 24/11/2022

MyRule1

36 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

A bit of context might help. The news story is about Britains' busiest and quietest railway stations. The Churchill image is used, alongside one of ABBA to represent Waterloo.

There's a BR advert with ABBA on it on display in the station hall in the Railway Museum at York. I think I've got a photo of it somewhere

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall

A curiosity from the same BBC page is a link to this:

"London Stratford emerges as UK's busiest station"

London's Stratford railway station was Britain's busiest in a year that recorded the lowest level of passenger journeys for almost 150 years. The station recorded about 14 million entries and exits between in March 2020 and April 2021 as passenger usage fell 78% in Britain due to the pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59414795

It must have been a quirk of Lockdown Britain - but why?

What traffic was still going through Stratford that propelled it to #1 spot?

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

32 minutes ago, KeithMacdonald said:

A curiosity from the same BBC page is a link to this:

"London Stratford emerges as UK's busiest station"

It must have been a quirk of Lockdown Britain - but why?

What traffic was still going through Stratford that propelled it to #1 spot?

I would hazard a guess at the Westfield shopping centre - people still had to shop during lockdown.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Hey, someone at the Beeb noticed, or it was pointed out to them, because they have changed the caption!

(Or maybe someone at the Beeb reads RMWeb...?)

However they forgot to correct the same error in the text of the article.

WRT Stratford, if those passing through and changing trains without doing an entry or exit were also counted then I suspect it would still be number 1.

21 hours ago, Oldddudders said:

The utter confusion between train and locomotive in the public mind presumably started with Flying Scotsman. I blame that lot out of KX. 

The Railway Museum at York has an entire section of the museum which tells the difference between the train and the locomotive but the history of the locomotive as well. It's a permanent display in North Shed. 

Here's a funny story that actually proves that point.

I was at the North Yorkshire Moors Railway's annual steam gala on 23/09/22 and 4468 Sir Nigel Gresley pulled into platform 2 at Grosmont station. It had to wait to run round its train though as platform 3 was occupied by TVR 0-6-2T 85 with the freight train. The freight train left and after a while, Gresley ran round and hooked back up with its train for the journey to back to Pickering. It was carrying a Flying Scotsman headboard (see photo) and I think it looked cool with it on.

However, not long after I took the photo, the driver took the headboard off as people kept thinking that Gresley was actually the Flying Scotsman despite the bright red nameplates with Gresley's name on!

IMG_20220923_134338_575.jpg.1e88e6e50563e552009f2d791aed1292.jpg

Gresley at Pickering later on, with no headboard.

original_08e6f67c-3752-47d8-8792-f08287a58581_IMG_20220923_151208_811.jpg.ca912e28e43948cff432efb103da98c0.jpg

Edited by 6990WitherslackHall
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Basically, most people don't NEED to understand what's correct. I recall the story of a man showing his son the fireman damping down the coal-dust in the tender with the slacker pipe. He told his son that the coal was wetted so that it would steam when it was put on the fire and it was that steam that drove the engine. Then, of course, there's the kid who asked what the big wheel in the cab of a DMU was for (the handbrake wheel). Mum told him it was the steering wheel. He never asked why the driver wasn't holding it. (CJL)

Edited by VIA185
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, VIA185 said:

Basically, most people don't NEED to understand what's correct.

Indeed so. Some of us out here appreciate steam locos without really knowing - or caring - about cut-off or valve gear or a host of other key components. Just as I don't know all the inner workings of a tv, or the Macbook upon which I am confidently, if incompetently, typing. 

OTOH I have been using DCC, with some degree of success, for the last 25 years, while I read of people who know every nut and bolt and split-pin of a steam loco, but fight shy of digital control........

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 6990WitherslackHall said:

Freight, RHTT every autumn. Light loco movements etc

Err, lost in translation?  The BBC was quoting passenger numbers.

London's Stratford railway station was Britain's busiest in a year that recorded the lowest level of passenger journeys for almost 150 years. The station recorded about 14 million entries and exits between in March 2020 and April 2021 as passenger usage fell 78% in Britain due to the pandemic.