Cheap 00/HO Flexi?

22 minutes ago, Madreddog said:

There used to be some pretty awful very cheap flexi track being sold by many retailers. I've been looking around but I can't find it.

Ideas anyone? I need a lot and Peco has priced themselves out of the market for me.

The cheap and nasty stuff may have simply rusted away?

• Agree 1

I bought some a good few years ago from a trader at an exhibition.

The web is only cut on one side and the rail doesn't slide through the chairs on the other side.

I still have 8 lengths of the 10 I bought.
As you said, cheap rubbish.

Don't bother looking for it.

• Agree 2

10 hours ago, RexAshton said:

It's cheap and nasty for a reason. Don't complain about your £200+ sound fitted loco not performing faultlessly on 'cheap and nasty' track.

I agree... Your track is the foundation for your layout.. if you need to get one with right its the track

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Madreddog said:

I need this track for a fiddle yard project which could 'swallow' up to 300 lengths if my brain can make it work that is.

That kind of quantity, if you talked to Peco direct I think you should be able to get a deal...

• Agree 1

Say that track is £2 per metre. Mixed stock of wagons and locos at new prices is going to be north of £200 per occupied metre. So if you can afford to populate the fiddle yard, the track isnt where the bulk of the cost lies. Of course a lot of that stock has already been bought but the argument still stands.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Say that track is £2 per metre. Mixed stock of wagons and locos at new prices is going to be north of £200 per occupied metre. So if you can afford to populate the fiddle yard, the track isnt where the bulk of the cost lies. Of course a lot of that stock has already been bought but the argument still stands.

I'm a bit of a hoarder. There, I admitted it!

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

45 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

For a fiddle yard, the track doesn't have to look realistic so you can make your own cheaply. E.g. rails soldered to widely spaced copper clad strips.

And with that quantity, you might still be able to follow frobisher's advice and negotiate a deal with suppliers on both the 600 yards of rail and on all that copper clad.

Your local model shop isn't going to be sitting with 300 yards of Peco Streamline in stock anyway, so it would need to be ordered specially.

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Madreddog said:

I'm a bit of a hoarder. There, I admitted it!

On this forum, that's not unusual...

C&L sell code 75 rail for £120 for 100m, so even going that way, by the time you've added the copperclad you're going to be looking at well over a grand...

• Agree 1

Presumably they have gone out of business.  I can only see reference to GT Italy in forum posts from 2012 and 2014.  One supplier was suggested in one, but the link doesn't work and another highlighted Model Power as a distributor, but they seem to have ceased trading in 2014.

Even the cheap stuff from China isn't that cheap any more.  https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/HP27HO-Model-Train-Railway-HO-Scale_1600226119010.html?spm=a2700.pc_countrysearch.main07.22.621f3b6aTqb1N5.  At that price, you are as well buying from Peco.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Madreddog said:

I find it really hard to believe that Peco is the only option. There has to be something cheaper out there surely??????

Cheap - what's that?

Ahh - I vaguely remember now; an extinct concept, often associated with false economy.

CJI.

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

You need too visit some swapmeets. Last one I went to (last week) there was decent quality peco flexi at £2 A length.  You won't get it any cheaper than that. And I echo what others have said.  Your track (and baseboards) is the foundation of the layout and going cheap is a massive false economy. You will

l forever regret the poor running. Do it properly and it will repay dividends. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

A quick sanity check shows that Rails and Hattons seem to have the best online prices, Peco is the cheapest cost per yard, followed by Bachmann Branchlines... The Peco track is definitely slightly more refined than the Hornby/Bachmann stuff so a bit of a no brainer at retail prices.  Ebay is not the place to buy Peco from it would seem. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Madreddog said:

I find it really hard to believe that Peco is the only option. There has to be something cheaper out there surely??????

Peco isn't the only option, but the alternatives are generally more expensive.

You could have Hornby - 24 lengths for £134.95 - https://uk.Hornby.com/products/flexi-track-bundle-bundleh2 - That works out at £5.62 per length (at RRP)

The equivalent from Peco is just £4.96 per length at RRP - https://peco-uk.com/products/flexible-track-wooden-sleeper2

If you have more money to spend, then you could go for C&L - their closest equivalent is £8.50 per length - https://www.clfinescale.co.uk/online-store/OO-FLEXITRACK-CODE-75-BULLHEAD-HI-Ni-NICKLE-SILVER-RAIL-ONE-METER-THICK-TRACK-BASE-Branchline-Mainline-Versions-on-options-p228709959

The reality is that if you're looking for new track, Peco isn't really all that expensive.  If it's too expensive, then you either need to scale down your layout plans (so that you need less) or look for second hand track, which you can probably pick up at swap-meet type events. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold

I spent the summer of 2020 relaying the entire fiddle yards of Ravensclyffe as I’d used cheap flexi for them. They are now Peco. The scrapped cheap stuff is still rusting in the garage! 

Andi

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1