Kato N gauge Big Boy 4-8-8-4

PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian_M said:

It will be properly 'announced' next month I think. Goodness knows what the price will be!

If you're into that sort of thing, you can always shift the problem to Santa and whack it on your Christmas list 😉

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
On 01/12/2022 at 07:14, Kris said:

Will the minimum radius required be as scary as the price?

well:

• Thanks to a special articulated mechanism, the Big Boy is able to manoeuvre around 11” radius curves, just like the Union Pacific FEF-3 and GS-4 from Kato USA!

Could be worse!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

Rails have a price now:

DCC Ready - £327.25 (RRP £385.00)

still.. ooch.

Last Athearn one was $499 with sound and that would jump up for a new batch I suspect, so it looks in line with the others but not cheap as you say 😉

13 minutes ago, PeterStiles said:

well:

• Thanks to a special articulated mechanism, the Big Boy is able to manoeuvre around 11” radius curves, just like the Union Pacific FEF-3 and GS-4 from Kato USA!

Could be worse!

Same as the Athearn model then. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

For Kato models it's worth checking prices from Japanese shops. Yes, you will have to pay international shipping and VAT (plus a handling charge), but I find for Kato Japanese outline especially it still made sense to order from Japan. The market for model trains is competitive and discounts are common, combined with generally lower prices for Kato. Japanese dealers sell their international range. For comparison I recently bought a GWR IEP which was S$167 including delivery to Singapore, which is about £100.