New build NER K class 0-4-0T for Beamish

papagolfjuliet

• RMweb Gold

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned here yet. Unlike many standard gauge new builds, the funding for this one is already in place: http://beamishtransportonline.co.uk/2022/10/north-eastern-railway-k-class-a-new-project-for-the-2020s/

Correction: it has been mentioned, but not in this section. Oops. 

Edited by papagolfjuliet
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I think it’s great but some people dislike the marine firebox.

Looking forward to a gathering of NER H & K classes, or Y7 & Y8 in LNER currency.

Dava

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, Mark Saunders said:

Another replica when they can’t take care of the existing rolling stock they have!

To be fair to Beamish most of the unrestored stock is now either under cover or on loan elsewhere, although poor old 'South Durham Malleable' continues to rot in the pit yard and the future of 'Newcastle' at the museum must now be in doubt since it was purchased as a second engine for the Rowsley branch and is presumably no longer required. In any event, the K has been paid for by a specific donation from a benefactor. Ne regardez pas le cheval de cadeau dans la bouche.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, micklner said:

Hopefully the NER Hoppers featured in the recent Rapido Hopper announcement video are under cover ? , their condition is appalling.

Aren't they at Tanfield? To my knowledge Beamish only has one NER designed 20T hopper whereas Tanfield has several, in varying states of repair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, papagolfjuliet said:

Aren't they at Tanfield? To my knowledge Beamish only has one NER designed 20T hopper whereas Tanfield has several, in varying states of repair.

The Rapido video was made at Rowley Station in Beamish. The state they are in, I doubt they would survive a journey from elsewhere !!.

• Like 1