RMweb

Tyneside Steel - revival of a stalled layout

• RMweb Premium

Looks great.  Instead of the girder bridge you could have a pipe bridge which would be in keeping with the industrial theme.  I made one years ago using an Airfix signal gantry kit with a bit of pipe inside.

• Like 2

Thanks for the likes and comments guys. I had considered a pipe bridge, I may look into that a bit more, I was thinking that if I did a girder one I could reuse the bridge I built for my micro Finlarig Halt which is slowly in the process of being dismantled. 

Here is some progress from last night though. I have previously forgot to say that all trackwork is peco code 75. I have added another point behind the first Y point and wired it up. Testing was very satisfying and it can just about hold a class 24 or a couple of wagons, here a peckett checks the clearances between the tracks. A start has also been made on the retaining wall using some Wills plastic sheeting, I still need to sort out the structural elements behind this and coping stones but it is a start. IMG_20221201_001015775.jpg.c7ffc6261a459a743e0286ebda3212d4.jpgIMG_20221201_001139950.jpg.212949a46345e1105d9ed815915b8cb4.jpg

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, I'm surprised the difference myself! I think spraying a lot of the scenery with water and scraping up the static grass has been a key step to try and get everything down to a flat and level baseboard like it is now. I am now home from uni now for Christmas so there won't be any progress on the layout for a few weeks sadly but here are a couple different shots of the hardstanding in the loco shed area. It is just DIY plaster filler smeared on then painted with washes once dry. I personally love the look of the concrete effect between the rails.

IMG_20221214_175400649.jpg.4495e7d284a33fa65ba1f692025a4fdf.jpgIMG_20221220_175531250.jpg.7ee141041a2c2e772a62d300e8121ece.jpg

• Like 12
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been a couple weeks and back up at uni now so layout progress can continue! Whilst I was at home I made the most of tools and wood to cut out the fascia for the layout and sort out the lighting. The layout is illuminated with a kitchen under cabinet light, the same type that I use on Distillery Yard and Cronton. I think it gives it a really warm look and should mean that the photos I now take are a lot better. You may notice an 08 in the yard which is coming to the end of a long restoration project with 5 years of procrastination. Looking forward to continuing work on the scenery next! IMG_20230109_150439467.jpg.147fbd808cba82dde5c996de48bf01ea.jpg

• Like 16

A quick progress update for today. I've been working on the bridge to hide the fiddle yard entrance. The base of this bridge is the one used on the left side on my old layout Finlarig Halt. To fit this layout it needs extending in both directions and the gap for the track widening to allow loco clearances when traversing the point. This is just done with plasticard and some card scraps as capping stones. I don't want it to sit flat against the baseboard either so playing with some subtle angles, the left hand of the bridge sticks out 1.5cm more than the right hand thanks to some foamboard spacers. Think this should help reduce the boxy look you can often get on small layouts. Here's a picture with the 08 checking the clearances. IMG_20230113_130909945.jpg.9bccddec3dd45238a700c3ba303c9668.jpg

• Like 9

Well it's been a productive couple of days with lots of little jobs now completed. First up I have finished painting the bridge and lightly weathered it. Hopefully the brick work looks colour matched enough. One thing is bugging me is the bridge doesn't have a ceiling (probably sure that's not the right word) so you can see white space above the trains which will need to be fixed. IMG_20230114_200005142.jpg.e4b8cd32fa91b1dcddbcd8a64e6207f3.jpg

Another little job that I had wanted to get done was finish off the super low relief warehouse building. This needed its brick work painting and toning down as well as a roller door sorting out. A long term goal for this is to have a working roller door and a fiddlestick behind it but currently that's a bit too much. I had tried painting my door but it looked pretty messy so instead I've used a fantastic download from scalescenes.

IMG_20230118_115717323.jpg.4dc35f8f04295ed9bd7107552aa7d041.jpg

The background of the layout is somewhere around Newcastle & Gateshead in the 1970s so I thought a fantastic way to set that as the location and era is with a billboard. I wanted a billboard that was advertising the soon to open Tyne and Wear metro which is easier said than done but I stumbled across an image file of a promotional booklet cover which I think works well as a billboard advertisement. Printed of, matt varnished and mounted on a frame of weathered coffee stirrers and  match sticks I think it looks the part. I'd love to find a billboard advertising some Newcastle brown ale so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful. IMG_20230118_152219803.jpg.00b76cb4c4b9f387f8eba63a8fdd2d5e.jpg

And I managed to exceed my own expectations of progress on the layout by getting some ballast down. This was just on the extra point and siding I added a while back but it feels good to be getting the base scenery finally sorted. I'll weather the track and ballast once its dry. With the ballast down all the structures also were stuck down with wood glue so it's all coming together now! Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll record a running session and get it up on YouTube. 

IMG_20230118_172131767.jpg

Edited by luke the train spotter
  • Like 12
  • Round of applause 1

Loving this build on here and Instagram.

Your an inspiration my good man Luke.

Where did you pickup the loco shed from? 
Your initial post said something about laser cut but I dont remember where you said it was from.

Edited by Oncomin5torm
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Oncomin5torm said:

Loving this build on here and Instagram.

Your an inspiration my good man Luke.

Where did you pickup the loco shed from? 
Your initial post said something about laser cut but I dont remember where you said it was from.

Thank you! The loco shed is a kit from Stoneybridge Structures who attend a lot of exhibitions in the North East but also sell online through their website. I'd highly recommend their kits, they just go together like Lego. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2